COLORFUL WINTER 2021 TBR THAT I AM QUITE UNLIKELY TO ACTUALLY READ. Sharing the books I won't actually read this season - for giggles, obviously! Text © Rissi JC

COLORFUL WINTER 2021 TBR THAT I AM QUITE UNLIKELY TO ACTUALLY READ

December 13, 2021 39 Comments

If ever there were a seasonal TBR list where my ringing words of I-won’t-actually-read-these is true, it’s this one. I have read very little in 2021, and I don’t see that trend changing just now. Still, I can hope I’ll turn my reading around. With that said, I’m still going to curate a winter 2021 TBR list because a: it’s fun (and kind of annoying to consider all the books I have to read) and b: I like the aesthetic it does allow for.

LIFESTYLE | TIME TO SPARKLE! GLITTERING NEW YEARS EVE PARTY DRESS IDEAS

Mostly I’m sharing books on my shelf rather than upcoming releases because honestly, I don’t know that I’ve bought any books at the writing of this (for December) and as a result, I think I’m realizing I need to reign in my book buying even more. By this I mean in 2021, I made a decision to change how I buy things, and that affected books. Because of that choice, I haven’t bought as many through the year, and it’s been a really good change. I love books and what reading means, but when you don’t read what you own, that’s a problem. I also think it’s wise to not be so influenced by the latest hype book. Sometimes it IS that good, and other times it’s just a mediocre story you wonder why you “had” to have. Anyway. That’s was something of a rabbit trail that I went off on without real purpose – and is really the subject for another day. Maybe I will write something yet.

Without further ado, let’s take a look-see at some of my fantasy I’d-like-to-read season TBR picks!

WINTER 2021 TBR

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: SO, THIS IS CHRISTMAS, TRACY ANDREEN

Yes, I know, this is a Christmas novel and typically I’d have read this early on as opposed to now if I were to read it. Remember, I said my optimism in reading these is slim. Still, I just watched a Hallmark Christmas film where Tracy co-wrote the script, and it’s one of my FAVORITES of this year, so yeah, I need to read her novels, too! Amazon | Goodreads

COLORFUL WINTER 2021 TBR THAT I AM QUITE UNLIKELY TO ACTUALLY READ #TOPTENTUESDAY #BOOKS #READMOREBOOKS #BOOKNERD #LETSREAD Click To Tweet
2: THE INHERITANCE GAMES, JENNIFER LYNN BARNES

This one has been on my shelf for a while now. I always thought it did sound interesting, but have been hearing some good things again about Jennifer’s books, so why not? Amazon | Goodreads

3: LITTLE WHITE LIES, JENNIFER LYNN BARNES

Another I’ve had on my shelf for a long time, and it’s this novel that I’ve been hearing good reports on. Makes me want to pick up her novels anew and discover the mysteries in their pages. Amazon | Goodreads

4: DEAREST JOSEPHINE, CAROLINE GEORGE

This one earned some pretty good reviews. I did buy it when it released, but haven’t read it. I have this hope that it’d give me the same kind of “feels” (though obviously a different story) as Jo & Laurie did earlier this year. It follows a character who finds a novel from someone in the 1800s in which she seems to play heroine, and their intertwining stories. Amazon | Goodreads

5: TOYKO EVER AFTER, EMIKO JEAN

Love The Princess Diaries so when I see this one likened to that iconic story, I had to pick this one up. Here’s hoping it’s a fun read. Amazon | Goodreads

6: ALL THE RIGHT REASONS, BETHANY MANGLE

This one sounds WAY fun. I’m not a reality TV person, but do love how this one sounds. Follows a girl who’s viral rant against her father gets her and her mother a spot on a reality TV show for single parents. ALSO! HUGE SHOUT-OUT AND THANKS to the publicist for Bethany’s novel for kindly sending me an ARC. Amazon | Goodreads

7: IN THE HALL WITH THE KNIFE, DIANA PETERFRUEND

This one sounds like FUN! I ran across it randomly and had to pick it up. It’s a mystery with a play on the Clue game, a board game I used to LOVE. Amazon | Goodreads

8: PRIDE + PREMEDITATION, TIRZAH PRICE

I’ve seen good and bad things about this Pride & Prejudice murder re-telling YA novel. I did finally pick it up and have this idea it’ll be fun! Plus, I did like the BBC (unpopular opinion) murder “sequel,” so… I think I’ll enjoy this? Amazon | Goodreads

9: THE LONDON HOUSE, KATHERINE REAY

This book looks and sounds different than Katherine’s usual release. But as it’s been a few years since I read anything by her, I’m curious about this; definitely glad to finally have a copy. Amazon | Goodreads

10: THE MEET-CUTE PROJECT, RHIANNON RICHARDSON

Pretty sure I’ve included this one on lists before. But it’s STILL on my shelf, and dang, it sounds fun. Follows a girl whose best friends create their own rom-com scenario by trying to set her up with the perfect dude. Amazon | Goodreads

What about you? What does your winter reading look like? Are you optimistic about completing it? Is it full of shelf TBR books or upcoming releases? Are you planning to read a specific genre? Comment all of your comments – I love chatting with you!

PINTEREST PIN – SAVE & SHARE

Thank you for visiting! Please, do come back soon.

Linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl December 14

My sincere apologies for the delays in responding to comments. That’s something I still need to improve on, but do know, honestly, I appreciate you taking the time, reading, and chatting. I read them all!

• Ely @ Earl Grey Books December 13, 2021 at 11:31 PM

Love the twist on this week’s topic—I feel like it pretty accurately describes what happens every time I make a TBR. I haven’t read any of these myself, but I do have Dearest Josephine on my shelf!

• Rissi JC December 14, 2021 at 1:29 AM

I always love to put together seasonal TBRs. I don’t stick with them or read half the books, but it’s just fun. :) Hope we both enjoy Dearest Josephine! Thanks for visiting, too.

• Stefani December 14, 2021 at 1:57 AM

I love you color scheme. I went for a stack of books in one color only (well two really) hehe. Hope you get to some of these. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/10-books-i-want-to-read-this-winter/

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:20 PM

Your theme sounds super fun, Stefani! For sure coming by to see – and thank you! :) Appreciate you visiting. As always.

• Lori Piper December 14, 2021 at 2:15 AM

So This is Christmas looks good!

I’m such an emotional reader that lists are kind of useless for me…but there are a couple on mine that I would jump in front of a train to get to, so I reckon that I’ll actually read SOME of mine. We’ll see.

My list is here— https://fiftytwo.blog/2021/12/14/ttt-top-winter-picks/

Happy TTT!
    Lori

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:22 PM

Right? I think so too, Lori! Hoping it is. YAY! Hope you do read those your super excited for. I don’t stick to a TBR either but it’s one of my most favorite topics to put together. :) Thanks so much for visiting. :)

• Ellie Warren December 14, 2021 at 3:31 AM

Sometimes when I’m flailing around deciding what to read next, my seasonal TBR comes in handy. Oh yeah, I really wanted to read that, I shall do so. So I’m not strict about sticking to it but it’s a nice reminder.

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:26 PM

I’m not strict in the least, Ellie, but you know, for some reason I still find this one of the most fun things to put together. :) Thank so much for the visit.

• Pam @ Read! Bake! Create! December 14, 2021 at 6:09 AM

I have had Inheritance Games on my TBR for the past year and was so excited to buy a copy over the summer. Guess what; I still haven’t read it! Ah well! I will get to it eventually!

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:27 PM

This is a feeling I know all too well, Pam! Hope we BOTH enjoy it when we make the time to read this one. Happy Winter TBR-ing! :) Thanks for the visit.

• Beckie B. December 14, 2021 at 6:14 AM

You really need to read The London House, though. It is great!

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:30 PM

RIGHT!? I have SUCH high hopes for that one from Katherine. It sounds different to me… but still the same? And I realize that makes no sense. ;) Thanks so much for the visit, Beckie!

• Lydia December 14, 2021 at 7:38 AM

I hope you like all of these books!

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:30 PM

Thanks! Me too, Lydia.

• Kami Furr December 14, 2021 at 8:08 AM

Many of these are on my TBR as well, but they didn’t make my TTT list. I’ll get to them eventually.

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:35 PM

I RELATE to this, Kami! :) Thanks so much for the visit.

• Aj @ Read All The Things! December 14, 2021 at 8:34 AM

I can relate to the title of this post. I’m so bad at TBRs! I think a few of the books in my post today were on last year’s winter TBR.

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:39 PM

SAME! Still for some reason I really enjoy putting this topic together. :) Hope we both read some of the books we’d *like* to read. Thanks for the visit, AJ!

• Lauren @ Always Me December 14, 2021 at 9:55 AM

In the Hall with the Knife was pretty fun. I need to try the sequel one of these days.

Lauren @ Always Me

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:42 PM

Fun – and good to know! I picked up the sequel this month though “why” I don’t know since I’m not sure I’ll love book one. ;) Thanks for the visit, Lauren.

• Cholla December 14, 2021 at 10:03 AM

Here’s to hoping you can find your reading mojo again. But your TBR is packed full of fun looking books, so I hope you can read a few.

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:43 PM

Thanks! I hope so too. Hopefully they’ll be that “one” book that I can read and fly through inspiring me to read more. :) Appreciate your visit!

• Darcy @ The Nonbinary Librarian December 14, 2021 at 10:57 AM

I’m the worst at making a TBR shortlist and sticking to it, so I understand the struggle. I thought Pride and Premeditation was an enjoyable read!!

Darcy @ The Nonbinary Librarian recently posted: TTT | Books on My Winter 2021 To-read List
    • Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:49 PM

SAME! And good to know, Darcy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this version of P+P. :) Appreciate your visit.

• Brittaney B December 14, 2021 at 10:59 AM

I started Pride and Premeditation and DNF’d it. I just couldn’t get into despite the hype. Dearest Josephine was different than I expected, but ended up being a thought provoking read for me.

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:55 PM

Bummer. That’s never fun but I’ve experienced that feeling too. Thanks for sharing and for your thoughts on “Dearest Josephine.” It sounds SO interesting. :)

• Angela December 14, 2021 at 11:04 AM

Little White Lies was a good read!

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 10:58 PM

GOOD TO KNOW! I’ve been seeing an account on Instagram hype it recently so I’m curious anew. :) Thanks for the visit, Angela.

• Melanie December 14, 2021 at 12:10 PM

I’m looking forward to reading The Inheritance Games someday. Hope you enjoy these books when you read them. 😊

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 11:11 PM

Thank you, Melanie – and me too. Hope we BOTH enjoy Jennifer’s. :) Appreciate your visit.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads December 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM

I love the cover for The Meet-Cute Project! I hope you’ll love all of these, not matter if you pick them up sooner or later.

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 11:16 PM

Thanks, Lindsey – me too! And same. That cover is all kinds of cute. Hope the story matches.

• Cindy Davis December 14, 2021 at 1:29 PM

Rissi-I am 100% with you on your rant! I told my husband I am not buying ANY books in 2022 (yeah, we’ll see how that goes, but it’s a GREAT goal and will narrow how much I buy!). I am doing 3 different challenges to read your OWN books or even those on your virtual TBR (Goodreads) to encourage me to actually read what I have. I obligated myself to so many reviews this year, then got behind, that I felt like I was only reading new releases, which is not what I want to be doing. I want to do some, but I also want space for mood reading. Happy Tuesday!!

Cindy Davis recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday-Books on my winter TBR
    • Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 11:22 PM

That is an awesome goal, Cindy! I always think about doing a challenge but then, knowing me, I feel like I’d be too depressed at the end because I “know” I’ll fail. ;) Someday I should try it because I’d LOVE clearing some of the books on my shelf. It’d be a kind of “relief” to read some of them. I relate 100% to having too many reviews as well. I do virtually none comparatively but now and then I’ll get an email with a new book and I’ll ask to be added to the list. Hope you accomplish your 2022 reading goals!! :)

• Susan (Bloggin' 'bout Books) December 14, 2021 at 6:43 PM

THE INHERITANCE GAMES is a fun one! I hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

Happy TTT!

Susan

• Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 11:23 PM

YAY! So excited. It looks like it would be. :)

• Dedra @ A Book Wanderer December 15, 2021 at 9:43 PM

I read Bethany Mangle’s debut, Prepped, and I enjoyed it but wasn’t overly wowed. BUT I’m very intrigued by her next one. I’ll be anxious to see what you think of it! Happy reading!

Dedra @ A Book Wanderer recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday: My Winter 2021-2022 TBR
    • Rissi JC December 20, 2021 at 11:27 PM

For some reason I thought this was Bethany’s debut. Goes to show me what I know. *Nothing* ;) Thanks so much for visiting, Dedra!

• […] from the winter 2021 TBR […]