Top Ten Tuesday | Sweet and Sour All Hallows Eve Books!

October 29, 2018 25 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | Sweet and Sour All Hallows Eve Books!

October 29, 2018 25 Comments
Top Ten Tuesday October 30

Hey, hey Top Ten Tuesday friends! Let’s have a look at our topic today.

That Artsy Reader Girl October 30: Halloween/Creepy Freebie

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

All Hallows Eve is not my forte. I didn’t celebrate its existence as a child, and don’t plan on changing this as an adult. Nonetheless, as a few of my blog lists can attest to, on occasion, I do enjoy a good Gothic period drama or spooky(ish) story. Since I shared a list of eight spooky reads last week, the below list mostly stays away from the ghosts and goblins.

Today, instead of spooky and dark (you can see those books in my “Spooky Reads to Enjoy on All Hallows Eve” list), I pick another kind of theme. My inspiration? The seasonal saccharine treat known as candy corn! That’s right today’s list is inspired by the treat, more specifically its colors. So here are 8 (plus a couple “spooky” reads) with orange, yellow and white on their cover, plus they seem like good autumn or winter reads!

Top Ten Tuesday October 30 | Sweet and Sour All Hallows Eve Books!

1: Far From the Tree by Robin Benway | Between its color scheme and pretty leaves, this one screams fall. Whether or not it reads like the season, I won’t know until I read it. Amazon | Goodreads

2: Elementary, My Dear Watkins by Mindy Starns Clark | The first of our archive-Rissi-reads is this cute romantic comedy. I don’t know how I’d feel about this series as an adult, but way back when, I adored this trilogy. Amazon | Goodreads

3: Autumn’s Shadow by Lyn Cote | Yet another “archive” read. I don’t remember it with exception to knowing it’s a mystery. That said, it fits today’s list like a glove. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday October 30

4: Turtles all the Way Down by John Green | I’m not really sure why I bought this novel since I’m far from a diehard John Green fan. (Pretty sure it’s because I caved to bookworm pressure.) That said, I did like TFIOS more than I thought, and who knows! Perhaps I will read this one. Amazon | Goodreads

5: Snitch by Rene Gutteridge | Once upon a time I thought this series looked like such fun. Alas, I never did read any of them. Still, who knows! Maybe someday I will get around to picking them up. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday October 30

6: Gilt Hollow by Lorie Langdon | Yes, this book does end up on nearly EVERY fall list or booktube video I publish. What can I say? It’s the ideal seasonal read! Amazon | Goodreads

7: When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon | Another book I haven’t read and ask myself constantly, why!?? Amazon | Goodreads

8: The Courteous Cad by Catherine Palmer | Oh, look! Another throwback read. Read this series years ago, so the memory is fuzzy (getting old over here), but if I remember right, it’s an Austen-esque style. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday October 30

9: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins | Aw, love Stephanie Perkins’ cute romcoms! Plus, it’s been a while since I featured one of her books, right!? Amazon | Goodreads

10&11: From the Start and Like Never Before by Melissa Tagg | Melissa’s books are always magical in their contemporary romance sphere. These two are no different – and are self-explanatory as to why they constantly end up on my Instagram feed this time of year!

From the Start: AmazonGoodreads ● Like Never Before: Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday October 30

12: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White | This is an “am reading” title for me. I’m not too far into it, but so far, it’s intruding! Though I’ll confess, the original novel and I are not acquainted. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday October 30 | Sweet and Sour All Hallows Eve Books! #Bookish #BookNerd Click To Tweet

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE*

*video publishes Tuesday afternoon; channel linked above

What All Hallows Eve – spooky or sweet, stories do you recommend? How did you spin today’s topic? Comment down below with all the fun bookish thoughts. I’m always glad to chat with you.

If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland.

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

• Greg October 30, 2018 at 12:15 am

Ooh I like how you did this- fun! Autumn’s Shadow sounds good. and I still want to read When Dimple Met Rishi!

• Rissi October 30, 2018 at 12:28 am

I have to admit, I’m SO glad I’m not the only one who hasn’t read “When Dimple Met Rishi,” Greg!! Here’s hoping we both enjoy this one. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Chrissi Reads October 30, 2018 at 12:25 am

I love what you’ve done with the list this week! Very fun and creative! You’ve included some brilliant books.

• Rissi October 30, 2018 at 12:32 am

Thanks, Chrissi! it was lots of fun to put together. :)

Appreciate your visit.

• Poinsettia October 30, 2018 at 6:10 am

I love you’re take on this week’s topic! When Dimple Met Rishi is such a sweet story. I like the sound of The Courteous Cad. I’ll have to check it out. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi JC October 30, 2018 at 12:29 pm

YAY for all the Jane Austen love, right?

Also, I’m so pleased to hear ‘Rishi’ is sweet. It’s precisely the kind of story I often look for, so I’m excited to eventually sit down and READ it. :)

Glad to have you stop by. Thanks!!

• Lili Marcus October 30, 2018 at 7:10 am

This is timely for me, I was looking for a perfect book with orange covers for a reading challenge I’m doing. :) Thanks for this list.

Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday.

• Brittaney B October 30, 2018 at 10:38 am

Glad to see some old favorites on here including Snitch, The Courteous Cad and Melissa Tagg’s novels.

• Rissi JC October 30, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Right!? Snitch and ‘Cad’ are teenage releases/reads, though I never did read the series by Rene. SOMEDAY I hope to just because I have them AND I do think they sound fun. :) Always love MTagg novels.

Thanks so much for visiting, Brittaney.

• Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense October 30, 2018 at 11:19 am

I really want to read The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein. Maybe some time this winter? I hope you pick up When Dimple Met Rishi soon. The title characters are so adorable.

• Rissi JC October 30, 2018 at 12:40 pm

I feel like ‘Elizabeth Frankenstein’ is a great winter-y read. As is the case with many spooky-ish stories. I know I won’t finish it today or tomorrow, so I’ll be reading into November!!

Love hearing all the good vibes for Dimple & Rishi. Here’s hoping I make that one a winter priority!!

Thanks for the visit, Alicia. :)

• Ashley S. October 30, 2018 at 12:10 pm

I really want to read Gilt Hollow. It sounds fantastic. I love Melissa Tagg’s books! Maple Valley is my idea of the perfect small town to live in.

• Rissi JC October 30, 2018 at 12:58 pm

It is really good. It’s not scary that I remember, but there’s just something about it that makes it the PERFECT read for this time of year. :)

Melissa’s books are always contemporary magic. Glad you too enjoy them, Ashley.

Thanks for visiting!

• Brooke Lorren October 30, 2018 at 12:27 pm

When Dimple Met Rishi sounds so cute! I’ll have to read it someday.

Brooke Lorren recently posted: Books with Dark Magic and/or Darkness
  • Sarah @ SWB October 30, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Great list! Far From The Tree is one I have sitting on my shelves too

• Elise October 30, 2018 at 2:18 pm

Such a lovely and well done article! Though I have not read many of these haha

• Aj @ Read All The Things! October 30, 2018 at 5:23 pm

I haven’t read Far From The Tree, but it has been in pretty much all of my Instagram photos this month. It does fit the fall aesthetic. I swear I’ll read it someday.

• Yomna @ Srishti and Yomna October 31, 2018 at 2:20 am

Love this post! I’m not a huge John Green fan as well, the only book I’ve been able to get into of his is The Fault in Our Stars, but there is so much hype about Turtles All the Way Down that I want to try reading it at least!

• Megan 'Vosburgh' Scott November 1, 2018 at 6:25 pm

I’m really interested in Gilt Hollow and The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein. Are they really dark and scary? I can do a light Gothic type book, but I can’t do too scary or horror.

• Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight November 2, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Oh I also need to read Dimple. How have I not yet? Far From the Tree is REALLY good. Idk if it is “fall-y” but meh who cares it is a good book hah. I will be curious to hear your thoughts on Elizabeth Frankenstein too. I found it a little slow, I am hoping you have better luck!