Top Ten Tuesday | Characters I Like. In Stories I Don’t Love.

April 3, 2018 38 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | Characters I Like. In Stories I Don’t
Love.

A new week is here and
new month. *gasp* We’re already heading into the fourth month of 2018, and
with it, an entirely new set of Top Ten Tuesday memes are here. Let’s look at
today’s topic.
That Artsy Reader Girl April 3: Characters I liked That Were In
Non-Favorite/Disliked Books

(This post does contain affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost
to you, I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link.
Read the
disclosure page for details.)
This topic is challenging! Not that I mind a good challenge now
and again, but let me tell you, it’s been tough finding matches for the topic. Though
I know I have read some books I didn’t care for (they simply weren’t my cup of
tea), for the life of me, I couldn’t remember much about the characters in said
books. Perhaps because I didn’t love the story and so therefore, I “erased” the
experience from my reader brain? Or more plausible, I’ve simply read too many
books since those non-favorite reads.
Most of these stories aren’t among those I don’t like or hate,
they’re simply stories or a story medium I didn’t like as well as others
in their peer group.
Because of the task it was to find these characters, I rule-break and
give in to some laziness (yes, I pull three characters from the same book) – a little bit, and split the topic between
books and films (or TV shows). So, without further rambles, let’s meet these
characters.
BOOKS

1: Edith Adelon from The
Inheritance
by Louisa May Alcott | It’s a little bit painful to add this
one to the list because I adore this story in its TV film format. Years after
I’d seen said film, I finally read the book, and golly, I just didn’t love it.
That said, of course, I do like the characters. Amazon | Goodreads

2: Katie from Red Girl, Blue Boy by Lauren Baratz-Logsted | It’s
really not fair to lump this on a book list of stories I maybe didn’t like because it is cute, but the
politics got a little on my nerves (meaning, I felt one party was definitely held
up to be the “only” answer aka “good guys”). That said, I did still enjoy the
story and found the characters fun! Amazon | Goodreads

3: Peeta Mellark from The
Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins | Don’t love this (book) story (like the
films better – weird, I know), but who doesn’t love Peeta? Amazon | Goodreads Find the film on Amazon Video or purchase on
DVD.

4: Primrose Everdeen from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Ditto on above reason. Plus,
Primrose is such a sweet character. Amazon | Goodreads ● Find the film on Amazon Video or purchase on DVD.

5: Rue from The Hunger
Games
| Ditto on reasons above. Who else cries during Ru’s final scene? Amazon | Goodreads ● Find the film on Amazon Video or purchase on DVD.

FILMS and TV SHOWS
1: Clark Kent and Lois Lane from Batman v Superman | Ok, so here’s the thing, I did like this one well enough. But it wasn’t
quite up to the lofty expectations I’d made of it in my mind. As a result, in
the end, I felt a little lackluster about this film. Perhaps it’s my dislike of
superheroes fighting against one another, or maybe it’s my bias against the
director’s style, whatever the case, the behind-the-scenes issues didn’t effect
my love of these lovebirds. Rent or buy on Amazon Video or purchase on DVD

2: Demelza Poldark from Poldark
(BBC) | UNPOPULAR OPINION alert!! *smile* Yes, I know adding this might get
me a few whaat comments, but I’ve
sort of lost respect and interest in this series. I admire the beauty of it,
and think the cast is amazing, but gosh
darn it
, I’ve about had it with Ross’ habits. To be fair, I’ve only seen a
season and a half while the rest of my rantings are based on spoiler reading,
but still… these spoilers seem legit. Tell me, should I give this one another
chance? Last I saw of her, I did love Demelza, so… Book: Amazon | Goodreads TV Series: Amazon Video | DVD
3: Melanie Hamilton from Gone
with the Wind
| I’ve only seen this film once (it’s not my cup of tea), but
I feel like I did really like the character of Melanie. Everyone else is
annoying. Book Amazon | Goodreads On
Amazon Video or DVD
4: Peter Lake and Beverley Penn
from Winter’s Tale | Sadly, I didn’t
love this film. I really wanted to,
but it just wasn’t my kind of movie. The imagination of it all is to be commended
and the cast is wonderful (plus, the dance scene is gorgeous), but overall, it’s one of those films I probably won’t
watch again. Which makes me realize, this one will probably show up on my list
next week too. You can watch Winter’s
Tale
on Amazon Video or purchase on DVD

5: Reed Richards from Fantastic
Four
(2016) | Whaat I’m using another super hero film on this list???
I know, this is weird. But again, here’s the thing. I really enjoy the older (silly antics and all) Marvel films that
introduce us to the Fantastic Four. But, recently I watched the newer
adaptation and while I do enjoy it, it doesn’t really live up to the normal
standard Marvel is known for. What did you think of this adaptation? You can
buy on Amazon Video or purchase on DVD

*video publishes Tuesday
afternoon; channel linked above
 ____________
That’s it for another edition of
Top Ten Tuesday. Tell me all about the stories you struggled with, but liked
the characters you met in said stories! I’d love to chat about them, and
discover if we share some same feelings about certain stories and their
characters.
As always, feel free to leave your
Top Ten Tuesday links or simply introduce your websites and blogs. I’d be glad
to come by and visit – it just might take me the entire week to circle around
to your bookish havens.
Wonderland

• Greg April 3, 2018 at 4:28 am

Peeta *nods* and yeah Prim and rue as well. Rue was super sad.

I think I've only seen parts of the Fantastic Four movie (the one with the Silver Surfer in it).

• Rissi April 3, 2018 at 5:01 am

So many good The Hunger Games characters. :)

…I really liked 'Silver Surfer.' It's cheesy because it's an oldie Marvel film, but so entertaining – and that's what I love about it. Well, that and the actors who play Reed and Johnny. :D

Thanks for visiting, Greg.

• Prototype_SR04 April 3, 2018 at 4:52 am

*sigh* Peeta. And I keep meaning to watch The Inheritance…good to know it's worth a watch more than a read.

• Rissi April 3, 2018 at 5:02 am

The Inheritance is lovely. Hope if you see it – or decide to give the story a read, you discover a new favorite. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Michelle April 3, 2018 at 5:07 am

I also liked the movies better than the HUNGER GAMES books!!! The characters gave off so much more feeling in the movies– the book characters felt so cold and emotionless to me. Also, I LOVE Peeta– TEAM PEETA FOREVER. And Rue :( I cry every single time I watch the first movie during her death. I don't like Prim though. Book Prim and Movie Prim. I think it was when she had to go back and get her cat and all the main characters almost got blown up because of it. Ughhhh.

• Rissi April 3, 2018 at 5:54 am

YES! So agree, Michelle. I feel as if the actors turned in wonderful performances in The Hunger Games films. There IS lots more emotion in their portrayals which makes the characters that much easier to like. :)

Rue… she's such a lovely character, and that final scene? So sad.

I'd have to watch the films again, but I feel like I do like Movie Prim. But perhaps if I'd re-watch (and re-read), I may feel differently.

Thanks so much for visiting, Michelle! Always great to chat all things bookish with you.

• Anonymous April 3, 2018 at 5:52 am

Totally with you on Primose. What a sweet character!

• Rissi April 3, 2018 at 5:59 am

My memory of her is all about good things, Chrissi. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Eve April 3, 2018 at 8:25 am

Oh I did love the movies for Hunger Games too and who doesn't like Peeta? I agree about Rue though I tear up every time even when I know it's coming! My Top Ten

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:38 pm

Right? Peeta is universally liked – though I will confess, I think he deserved better. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Eve.

• Nicoline Simone April 3, 2018 at 11:28 am

I love Peeta Primerose Rue too! And all the times I have seen the movies I cry evertime Rue dies.. it is so sad…

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Right? That scene is SO sad, and the character was so sweet.

Thanks so much for visiting, Nicoline. :)

• Anonymous April 3, 2018 at 11:48 am

Excluding Catching Fire I prefer the hunger games movies to the books too. Though the last movie doesn't crush my soul like the last book does. I have read it twice and both times I ended up broken laying on the floor in the shower.

My TTT https://wp.me/p3ftwe-UX

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:41 pm

Good to know I'm not the only one who does. :) I actually prefer the story feeling a bit more "uplifting" over the books – makes the story more tolerable.

Appreciate you visiting! Thank you. :)

• Verushka Byrow April 3, 2018 at 12:01 pm

I LOVED Johnny Storm in the new Fantastic Four — Michael B Jordan was <3 I thought Reed started off really well, but something went awry with him towards the end. As I understand it, there were huge problems with the movie, so maybe that's why it just doens't hold up to other Marvl movies? Great idea on the topic though, splitting it between moviesand books!

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:46 pm

That's my understanding of the new Fantastic Four, too, Verushka. It just didn't do well because viewers didn't much care for the production. I think for me, it just didn't set up very well.

Appreciate you visiting. :)

• Flipping Through the Pages April 3, 2018 at 2:05 pm

I haven't yet read the Hunger Games but I have seen all the movies and quite enjoyed them. And yes who doesn't love Peeta? :D

My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/04/ten-characters-i-didnt-like-that-much-in-the-books-i-loved/

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:47 pm

Right? Peeta is the best. :)

Thanks, as always, for making Finding Wonderland a Top Ten Tuesday stop.

• louise ☆ April 3, 2018 at 2:11 pm

I'm in the unpopular camp because I absolutely adore Batman v Superman, and I 100% agree with you on Lois and Clark. Their relationship is just the sweetest thing ever, I can't help but squee every time I see them together.

louise

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:49 pm

I do like Batman v Superman, BUT I feel like it's a little overlong, and I don't think Zack Synder was the right visionary for the film. That said, I was impressed with his Justice League, so maybe he finally found the right DC Comics "voice." Like you, I am 100% there for this Lois and Clark. LOVE them together. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Louise.

• Poinsettia April 3, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I agree, this week's topic was tough! I like your list though, and Peeta, Ru, and Primrose are great characters. Here is our <a href="http://www.longandshortreviews.com/miscellaneous-musings/top-ten-tuesday-characters-we-liked-that-were-in-books-we-disliked/>Top Ten Tuesday</a>

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:50 pm

Thanks – glad I wasn't the only one to find it challenging. (But that's good for us, right?) Thanks so much for visiting! :)

• Alyce Hunt April 3, 2018 at 4:53 pm

I haven't seen Batman v. Superman yet, but I agree that Clark Kent and Lois Lane are some of the more interesting characters in the Justice League movie. I'll have to work my way backwards and explore some more of the DC movies.

Here's my Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Aren't they great? I love them together, despite the controversy that surrounded the casting (I think Amy is several years old than Henry maybe), I love them together. Hope you enjoy Batman v Superman when you see it, Alyce. :)

Glad you stopped by. :)

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads April 3, 2018 at 6:37 pm

Well, now I just really want to watch The Hunger Games movies again :) I do love me some Peeta. And Prim. And Rue :'(
    I wasn't a fan of the newest Fantastic Four movie, but I did enjoy Reed as well :)

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:56 pm

SAME! I feel like Peeta deserved better and Rue… poor Rue. Like you, I'd like to re-watch the movies now. I was really quite impressed with them.

There's just something about the character of Reed that I really like. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Lindsey – as always.

• Catherine April 3, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Poldark did go downhill after series one – it's a harder watch when you spend half the time wanting to strangle Ross. But I still love Demelza (and the books are great!)

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:57 pm

I have a feeling I'd want to strangle Ross more than half the time. Eventually I will watch the rest of the series, but for now, I prefer to think of Ross happy with Demelza and at a place when he's still treating her like the woman whom he truly did fall in love with. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Catherine.

• IloveHeartlandX April 3, 2018 at 8:39 pm

I love Peeta-for some reason loads of people seem to prefer Gale and I'm like……but Peeta bakes…..like Peeta could give you cake and cake wins all!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/03/top-ten-tuesday-153/

• Rissi April 6, 2018 at 11:59 pm

I like Gale just fine, but then there's Peeta. ;) Plus, I really think he deserved SO much better – at least I feel like Katniss is happy with him in the films whereas the books? Yeah, I felt like she was still miserable by story's end. That's a little too depressing after the already dark stories.

Thanks so much for visiting, Jo. :)

• Livia Rachelle April 3, 2018 at 11:31 pm

I definitely prefer the movie Inheritance . . . and the movie versions of all the characters. Edith was too Elsie Dismoreish for me.

The writing quality in the Hunger Games, being in Katniss head all the time (first person POV is NOT my fav, to say the least), etc. make the books a bit hard (I opted not to re-read sometime the last year or so, though I still might, I just have a lower tolerance for nonsense now), but Peeta in the books is way better than Peeta in the movie (Finnick too). I think I’m mixed for this series.

I just checked my list (here), and I have those two examples on my list as well!!! I didn't remember what I had put since I wrote it months ago.

• Rissi April 7, 2018 at 2:56 am

I don't remember the book in all its specifics, but do know I was not impressed with The Inheritance in its original form. Much as I love the film, I would like to see ITV or BBC adapt it. I think it'd be marvelous. :)

OhMyGosh, no! I don't like being in Katniss' head the entire time either. She's WAY too depressive for me. Even in the end, I don't "feel" as if she's happy. I do feel like she's found some peace and can genuinely smile in the movies (I think that's owning to Jennifer Lawrence's portrayal), so that makes the films SO much better in my view. :) That's cool that you like certain things about the books better than the films. Now if only there were something that took the good of both to combine the story, right?! :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Livia! Always glad to talk with you.

• Kay Wisteria @HammockofBooks April 4, 2018 at 12:17 am

Love Rue and Prim <3 <3 great list!

• Rissi April 7, 2018 at 3:03 am

Me too, Kay. Me too. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Georgiana Teglas April 4, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Peeta is amazing, I loved him both in the books and movies.

Carmen`s Reading Corner

• Rissi April 7, 2018 at 3:05 am

He sure is!! :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Lauren Stoolfire April 5, 2018 at 2:53 am

Yeah, most of the time you want to slap Ross, but Demelza is fantastic. :)

Lauren @ Always Me

• Rissi April 7, 2018 at 3:16 am

Ugh!! Right?? I'm not even all caught up and I'm annoyed with him. Someone needs to slap him. ;)

Glad you stopped by, Lauren.