To Meet Favorite Childhood Characters as Adults!

September 7, 2020 21 Comments

Hello, everyone and welcome back to Finding Wonderland. Today, quite on a whim, I’m re-purposing* an old publication that I have since unpolished. Why? Well, a: it’s all the way back from 2016, and b: the SEO and margins are way too messed up for this post, in its old variation, to be a viable placement. That said, we’re meeting favorite childhood characters to meet as adults. (Kind of.) Because it sounds like a kind of fun idea.

LIST | On my Playlist: Some of the Music I’m Loving “On Repeat”

For most of us, revisiting our childhood is like a trip down a nostalgic lane. My childhood was one of many things; laughter and family, memories and good times, and of course, books. While cooped up in the house during the winter months, one of the ways we enjoyed spending our evenings at home was reading. We’d pass the book around night after night and become lost in whatever novel we were reading.

I’m breaking this up into two sections. The first are characters I’d like to read about as adults – or see them in some story medium as adults. The second are YA literature couples I’ve like to revisit (something I’m going to expand on at a later date) a few years down the road as adult characters in a novel.

*All with new edits, and some additional characters, too!

Ten Childhood Characters to Meet as Adults

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details. If you have purchased anything through our links, thank you. We’re grateful.)

1: Addie Porter, Meant to be Mine

This might be an usual choice since she’s not a main character in Becky Wade’s charming romantic comedy novel, but I do remember loving her character – even if she was young and therefore, not a “primary” character whose characteristics we get to know. She had an impish personality that was 100% charm. Amazon | Goodreads

2: Adele, Jane Eyre
To Meet Favorite Childhood Characters as Adults! Sharing about some of the characters I'd like to meet as adults. Who would make your list? © Rissi JC

In some versions of this story, Adele is spunky, and in others, she’s pretty much an afterthought. I enjoyed her modern character in the Indie novel The Rise and Fall of Jane, and likely there’s an adaptation I like her best in, but don’t ask me to remember which! Amazon | Goodreads

DISCUSSION | The Faces of Adaptations: Jane Eyre Edition

3: Elsa and Anna, Frozen

Okay, I know this is stretching it since these Disney sisters first appeared on movie screens and then inside the bookish world, but what can I say? I want to see more of their world. Plus, I really like the sister bond. Amazon

4: Felicity Merriman, Felicity Stories (American Girl)

When I think of my childhood books or the characters in them, no list would be complete without American Girl. As a kid, Felicity was one of the dolls I most wanted. I eventually got her (when I was a bit older) by saving my pennies. A small-screen film was made based on her stories, and I loved it. Perhaps its the time period I find most fascinating though I do like Samantha too. Fun fact: Shailene Woodley (of the Divergent series) starred as Felicity. Amazon | Goodreads

5: Lucy, The Chronicles of Narnia

I adore Lucy. Her unwavering faith is precious, and something to aspire to. I know technically, Lucy (and her siblings) do “grow up” over the course of the series though of the books I’ve read (three, I think), I didn’t feel like we ever got to “know” her as an adult. Amazon | Goodreads

6: Margaret Dashwood, Sense and Sensibility

In the 2008 ITV adaptation of Jane Austen’s classic, Margaret is quite a spitfire (come on, tell me you didn’t love the sass of her suggesting they poison the sister-in-law’s tea?). Needless to say she was a young Austen heroine in the making who deserves her own story. Amazon | Goodreads

7: Nancy Drew

I didn’t read the Nancy Drew books as a kid (except for maybe ONE?!), but I like the idea of “meeting” Nancy in her original timeframe, only as an adult. Fun fact: a contemporary TV show about an all-grown-up Nancy has been ordered. That might be… interesting! Thoughts? Amazon | Goodreads

8: Pauline, Petrova and Posy, Ballet Shoes

I don’t know how far the novel takes these characters, but the movie leaves them on the brink of adulthood. If you’ve not seen the BBC film, it’s a gem – and stars a (at-the-time) relative unknown, Emma Watson.  Amazon | Goodreads

9: Peter Pan, Peter Pan

Ok, yes, I realize that part of the charm of this fairytale is that he doesn’t grow up, still, wouldn’t it be fun to read or see a story in which he does?? Kind of a new way to spin the story, right? Amazon | Goodreads

10: Sara Crew, A Little Princess
How to Meet Favorite Childhood Characters as Adults! Sharing about the characters I'd like to meet as adults. Who makes your list? © Rissi JC

This girl goes through so much. It’s be nice to see some adaptation show us a happy character in adulthood. Amazon | Goodreads | Or see the 1995 film digitally on Amazon

4 OTP YA Lit Couples who Need More Story

1: Anna and Etienne, Anna and the French Kiss | I realize I already talk about this novel too much (but maybe not lately?), so I’ll leave it at that. Amazon | Goodreads

2: Beckett and Finley, There You’ll Find Me | Love these two – and it helps that Beckett works against the clichés his “type” of character would ordinarily boast. Amazon | Goodreads

The Kissing Booth

3: Elle and Noah, The Kissing Booth | Ideally I’d like to see a story about these two as adults, and making things work. Namely because I feel like I’m alone in liking them together, but I just feel like as adults they can, maybe, be more responsible and ready to be together. Amazon | Goodreads

4: Paige and Max, The Start of Me and You | These two are too cute for words. Amazon | Goodreads

Alright, it’s your turn! What “favorite childhood characters as adults” would you most like to revisit? Are there characters you’d like to revisit for other reasons? Comment down below with your character – or bookish, related thoughts. I’d love to chat with you.

Thank you visiting Finding Wonderland.

#FindingWonderland | #FindingWonderlandBlog

PINTEREST PIN

To Meet Favorite Childhood Characters as Adults! Sharing about some of the characters I'd like to meet as adults. Who would make your list? #BookLove #Characters #FavoriteCharacter #TopTenTuesday Click To Tweet

Linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl September 8: Books for My Younger Self (These could be books you wish you had read as a child, books younger you could have really learned something from, books that meshed with your hobbies/interests, books that could have helped you go through events/changes in your life, etc.)

*Yes, I am changing the topic and still liking up. Just because.

• Brooke Lorren September 8, 2020 at 1:40 am

Hmmmm… maybe somebody should write a story where Peter Pan grows up!

My grandma got my dd an Addie doll for her 13th birthday. Grandma had all the dolls.

• Rissi JC September 14, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Right? Could be really fun! :)

• Active September 8, 2020 at 2:49 am

Loved this- such cool ideas!

• Leah @ Leah's Books September 8, 2020 at 6:32 am

I love this idea! You definitely brought me back to my own childhood with a lot of the characters that I had totally forgotten about but really loved growing up. Awesome list!

I went with a different topic completely this week, but here’s my TTT: http://leahs-books.com/2020/09/08/ttt-september-2020-releases-im-excited-for/

• Rissi JC September 14, 2020 at 9:36 pm

Thanks so much, Leah. It was fun to put together – and yay for different topics! This is part of the fun of Top Ten Tuesday. :)

• Jo September 8, 2020 at 8:40 am

I loved Ballet Shoes when I was younger, one of my favourite books, I would love to see what the Fossil sisters got up to as adults. I actually didn’t love the BBC film, I remember from when I watched it, though I can’t exactly remember why now, I think it was mostly that they tried to squeeze too much into a relatively short film and I didn’t love that they put in the romance with Sylvia and Mr Simpson since that doesn’t happen in the book.

Jo recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday #280
    • Rissi JC September 14, 2020 at 9:39 pm

I could see that about the BBC adaptation for “Ballet Shoes.” I haven’t read the novel, but its a rather short movie if I’m remembering right. I probably liked the bit of romance since I always enjoy a sweet love story, but 100% understand being disappointed in something if you love it “as is” in a book. I’ve been there! :) Thanks so much for visiting, Jo.

• Lydia September 8, 2020 at 9:09 am

I’d love to meet everyone on your list! Very neat idea for a post.

My post .

• Rissi JC September 14, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Thank you, Lydia – and thanks for the visit!! :)

• Angela September 8, 2020 at 5:04 pm

My niece would be so jealous if you met Elsa and Anna!

• Rissi JC September 14, 2020 at 9:43 pm

They’re just too fun…!

• Lauren @ Always Me September 8, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Yes, I would love to see Lucy as an adult. Great list!

Lauren @ Always Me

• Rissi JC September 14, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Right? I think so too. :)

• Dedra @ A Book Wanderer September 9, 2020 at 11:52 am

Oh, I loved this twist! I’m so down for more about Anna and Etienne! <3

Dedra @ A Book Wanderer recently posted: My September TBR | ARCs and Anniversaries
    • Rissi JC September 14, 2020 at 9:44 pm

YES! They need more stories. :) Thanks for the visit, Dedra.

• Greg September 9, 2020 at 3:42 pm

Lucy is awesome and Nancy Drew- great pick! I have such nostalgia for the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries. I’m glad they’re keeping Nancy Drew alive in some form. Also, Elsa and Anna is another great pick!

• Rissi JC September 14, 2020 at 9:45 pm

I haven’t watched much of the most recent Nancy Drew show, but I always find it interesting how they make all of these nostalgic characters so “edgy.” Still, it’s fun to see the different adaptations, and yes! Lucy is always a favorite character of mine, so she should have all the stories far as I’m concerned. :) Thanks for the visit, Greg.

• Greg September 14, 2020 at 10:01 pm

I actually watched the first episode of Nancy Drew and they really DID make it edgy lol. I was a little surprised and not quite sure how I felt about it, honestly, but I may watch more and see how it goes.

• Paula Shreckhise September 13, 2020 at 4:56 pm