Movie News! A New Adaptation of Jane Austen’s ‘Persuasion’

October 8, 2020 12 Comments

Though I often feel like the only period drama aficionado who doesn’t get tired of Austen (and I say this knowing there are dozens of adaptations of her works), anytime I learn that there’s a new adaptation of her works heading our way, I’m thrilled. The latest we’ll see is a new Persuasion adaptation, a production in its early stages, but one that also revealed a bit of casting news this past week.

RANKING | The Faces of a Romance Adaptation: The Persuasion One

Even though I’ve never read the novel, this is one Austen I don’t feel as though we’ve had the “definitive” version for. Yet. While the BBC adaptation, and the most recent of them, is good, it’s still not quite what I think it could be. Perhaps this one will be. But time will tell – and if the recent Emma version is any indication, that might not be possible. For those who don’t know what Persuasion is about, it follows Anne Elliot, a woman who was robbed of her chance at a happy end because of her family’s cruel nature. Years later, the man a now 27-year-old Anne loved returns a naval hero who prospects just as Anne’s family encounters hardships.

According to the brief bio (specific to this adaptation), the plot reads:

As Anne ponders missed opportunities, she must consider her own regrets and unwavering, possibly unrequited love.

There’s misunderstandings, complex family dynamics; a heroine who doesn’t rock the boat, and a handsome hero; and of course, lengthy romantic letters. In short, at its heart, Persuasion is actually a great story. It just hasn’t reached its best potential, at least not on screen. Austen’s final novel, published after her death, Monumental Pictures will produce, but also a part of the equation is BBC and Searchlight Pictures. It’s directed by a first-time Austen storyteller, Mahalia Belo and penned by Jessica Swale.

As far as casting, they have cast Australian actress Sarah Snook as Anne; Sarah isn’t a stranger to period pieces having worked on The Dressmaker with Kate Winslet and Winchester with Helen Mirran. News about the rest of the cast, like Captain Wentworth, isn’t yet set, but while we wait, I want to know, who would you cast in this role?! I want to hear all of your thoughts, opinions or dream cast.

No release date is yet known; this is also supposed to be produced as as feature film.

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

You can see Persuasion (2007, BBC) digitally on Amazon Video

Movie News! A New Adaptation of ‘Persuasion,’ Austen's Last Romance. Talking about the upcoming Sarah Snook adaptation. #JaneAusten #PeriodDrama #Movies Click To Tweet

Tell me, what are you looking forward to in this adaptation? Anyone jump out at the perfect Captain Wentworth? Does Sarah sound like a good Anne? What are your hopes for this new Persuasion adaptation? I want to hear all of your thoughts. Drop them below.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

• Brittaney B October 9, 2020 at 9:01 AM

I’m excited, but also don’t want to get my hopes up. I very much disliked the characterization in the recent Emma.

• Marianne @ Let's Read October 12, 2020 at 5:48 AM

I love Jane Austen and Persuasion is my favourite of her novels. So, of course, I’m looking forward to a new adaptation. My favourite Captain Wentworth is, of course, Ciarán Hinds, though that might be because he’s more my age than any of the recent ones. And I hardly ever know the new actors, let alone the Australian ones.

I agree with ^^Brittaney about the recent Emma. The actress seemed to “nice”, if you know what I mean and Mr. Knightley too young, though that might have to do with me being older than both of them, of course. LOL

• Rissi JC March 25, 2021 at 11:53 AM

Hi, Marianne! My sincere apologies for not replying; not sure how I missed your comment. So glad you stopped by.

The new “Emma” did not work for me. I like the cast ok, but the whole scenes (i.e., the nose bleed) and different character elements just feels “weird.” Hope you enjoy this new “Persuasion”; I’m hopeful!

• Marianne @ Let's Read March 26, 2021 at 4:17 AM

Don’t worry, these things happen to me, as well.

I was quite excited when you wrote “New Persuasion”, I was getting quite excited. While I don’t like how they did the ending in the 1995 version, that’s still my favourite, love all the cast. But I’m really looking forward to the “Australian edition”.

Marianne @ Let's Read recently posted: Binchy, Maeve "The Maeve Binchy Writers' Club"
        • Rissi JC March 29, 2021 at 6:30 PM

So glad you have a favorite version of this story. :) I just don’t love the 90s version for any reason, but I know LOTS of people love it (same goes for the new “Emma.”). That’s what makes all of these adaptations so fun; we get to chat about the differences and what we do vs. don’t care for about them. Hope we BOTH like this one. :)

• Marianne @ Let's Read March 30, 2021 at 12:47 PM

So do I. As I said, it’s my favourite version, that doesn’t mean I think it’s the ideal version. I love the actors, they portray the characters really well imho but I don’t like what they did to the story. So, we’ll see.

Happy Reading!

• Rissi JC April 5, 2021 at 9:54 PM

Have you read the book? I haven’t, so I always just judge as adaptation like Austen on the merits of production or who I “like” in the role vs. who is maybe best as the author writes them. :)

• Marianne @ Let's Read April 6, 2021 at 6:09 AM

That’s interesting. Yes, I have read all of Jane Austen’s novels and, as with other books, I always compare the adaptations to the book. So, what is your favourite story by Jane Austen. Mine is “Persuasion” because I think I am most like Anne Elliot.

And which of all the adaptations of all the books do you like best?

• Anna March 25, 2021 at 7:35 AM

Disappointed with Sarah Snook casting ( not my idea of Anne) as I was with previous two Annes Amanda Root and Sally Hawkins. Loved Rupert Penny Jones. Hope the next Captain Wentworth is someone like Sam Heughan

• Rissi JC March 25, 2021 at 11:56 AM

Hi, Anna! Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. I like Sally better than Amanda, but still don’t think I’ve seen “THE” version of “Persuasion.” Haven’t seen Sarah in anything, so I’m trying to go in with an open mind. :) Do you have someone you think would be great in her role?? :) As of now, Joel Fry is cast in the role of Wentworth. Don’t think I’ve seen him in a role that I can remember (he was in a Netflix film I saw, but cannot remember well), however he is in the upcoming “Cruella” film.

• […] been a little while, but we did share about an upcoming indie adaptation of Jane Austen’s Persuasion a while back. After that, a second production was announced and I won’t lie, I’m a little bit giddy because […]