IF YOU DON’T LIKE READING, HERE'S 8 BOOKS TO GIVE A CHANCE. Talking about books about books, and characters that are readers, too! Text © Rissi JC

IF YOU DON’T LIKE READING, HERE’S 8 BOOKS TO GIVE A CHANCE

November 1, 2021 16 Comments

Some of us just don’t like to read. I can understand this in many ways as someone who is currently not reading much right now. However, reading and books have been a part of my life for many (many) years, and I expect them to continue to be. So, while in no way am I good at saying what you should read if you don’t like reading, here’s a few I’ll (loosely) put in this category of a few books to read if you don’t like reading.

LIST | 5 OF THE BEST LIZZY AND DARCY ‘PRIDE & PREJUDICE & ZOMBIES’ ROMANCE SCENES (OTP FAVORITES)
IF YOU DON’T LIKE READING, HERE'S 8 BOOKS TO GIVE A CHANCE. OR BOOKS TO (MAYBE) READ IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING. #READERS #READING #MUSTREAD #AMREADING #BOOKWORM #TOPTENTUESDAY Click To Tweet

What I decided to do is put books on this list that are about a bookworm, or just reading in general. The idea being that maybe by reading about a character or person who loves to read, you can see what reading and books mean through their eyes. It’s not something that will necessarily change anyone’s mind or inspire anyone to love reading, but it’s the theory I decided to go with. Let’s jump in, shall we?

BOOKS TO READ IF YOU DON’T LIKE READING

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: NORTHANGER ABBEY, JANE AUSTEN

I started to read this one years ago, and as I remember, it’s fun. It follows an imaginative girl who has an active mind, fueled by her reading of novels. Of course, as it’s Austen, there’s a bit of romance too. Amazon | Goodreads

2: WONDERLAND CREEK, LYNN AUSTIN

I haven’t read this novel, but have heard it’s a good one about a bookworm who’s fiancé breaks her heart. This sends her to deliver books to a small mining town. Also, as a side note, I did read novels by Lynn Austin years ago. Amazon | Goodreads

3: THE UPSIDE OF FALLING, ALEX LIGHT

Plenty of would-be readers wouldn’t like this book, but it’s a YA rom-com with a bookish heroine that’s all kinds of happy, and that’s my kind of read. Amazon | Goodreads

4:  ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, L.M MONTGOMERY
18 OF THE BEST PERIOD DRAMAS ON NETFLIX RIGHT NOW. Sharing a few movies and TV shows you can enjoy on Netflix now! Text © Rissi JC

Ok, honestly, I haven’t read the Anne of Green Gables books, but did grow up on a diet of the 80s adaptations. I feel like the books would be easy reads that present you with a HOST of characters easy to love and root on, which can be half the battle of reading (liking characters). Amazon | Goodreads

IF YOU DON’T LIKE READING, HERE'S 8 BOOKS TO GIVE A CHANCE. Talking about books about books, and characters that are readers, too! Or Books to Read if You Don't Like Reading. Text © Rissi JC
5: THE PRINTED LETTER BOOKSHOP, KATHERINE REAY

I haven’t read (!!) this one by Reay just yet, but I’m very much interested. Follows a woman who inherits a bookshop that once held fond memories for her, but she’s not a bit more jaded from life. Amazon | Goodreads

6: THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY, MARY ANN SHAFFER

This historical fiction read is wonderful. It’s set just post WWII, but still manages to be a heartwarming (the film a bit more) kind of story that’s easy to fall in love with. Amazon | Goodreads

7: JO & LAURIE, MARGARET STOHL AND MELISSA DE LA CRUZ

This book is one of those I “didn’t know I needed” kind of read. It follows Jo March in an alternate story where maybe – just maybe, she does actually deeply love Theodore Lawrence. Guys, this book is just… charming. Amazon | Goodreads

8: THE SECRET LIFE OF SARAH HOLLENBECK, BETHANY TURNER

This rom-com follows a writer who ends up having a “secret” author life none of her friends knows about! So cute, light and fun, especially if you like Christian fiction. Amazon | Goodreads

What about you? What types of books would you recommend to anyone who doesn’t like to read? Would this type of book make your list or a specific genre? What books do you loan to your non-bookish friends? Have you read any of these or are you struggling with reading? Comment all the comments down below.

PINTEREST PIN – SAVE & SHARE

Thank you for visiting! Please, do come back soon.

Linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl November 2: Books I Would Hand to Someone Who Claims to Not Like Reading

• Pam @ Read! Bake! Create! November 2, 2021 at 6:25 AM

Another point in favor of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is the way it is written. As it’s primarily letters between the characters, it may make it easier to pick up.

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!

• Rissi JC November 9, 2021 at 3:46 PM

True! I know I wasn’t sure about that style at first, but grew to love it. :)

• Angela November 2, 2021 at 6:40 AM

Anne of Green Gables is such a charming book – sometimes it can be hard to get people to read classics, but I think that’s a good one to start with!

• Rissi JC November 9, 2021 at 3:47 PM

This is a feeling I know well since I don’t read classics. However I just sense Anne might be a good one to start with, especially since the characters seems to easy to love. :)

• Lydia November 2, 2021 at 6:51 AM

Anne of Green Gables is an excellent choice!

• Rissi JC November 9, 2021 at 3:47 PM

YAY! Glad I made a good choice there! :)

• Dini @ dinipandareads November 2, 2021 at 8:05 AM

The Upside of Falling Down has the cutest cover! I’ve had that one on my TBR for a while now and it looks like a fun and feel-good read 😍 Also, the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a great recommendation (what a mouthful that title is though lol)!

• Rissi JC November 9, 2021 at 3:50 PM

RIGHT! I agree. It’s all kinds of cute. Hope you enjoy, Dini – and YES! ‘Guernsey’ IS looong. I never want to say or write the entire title. :D

• Lori Piper November 2, 2021 at 8:26 AM

OK, I might need _Jo and Laurie_ in my life. A friend was telling me *how good* the most recent adaptation was of _Little Women_ and I said “but…do Jo and Laurie get together in this one? No? Then I’m still out.” Cause I fell in love with Jo and Laurie when I was a teen, and I will not be taking questions. :) :)

My post—https://fiftytwo.blog/2021/11/02/ttt-books-to-recommend-to-non-readers/

Happy TTT!
    Lori

• Rissi JC November 9, 2021 at 3:52 PM

Aw, hope you enjoy “Jo & Laurie” if you read it, Lori. I don’t think I was a fan either way, except in some adaptations I feel as though Laurie is unhappy in his choice (which I don’t like) and others I feel the actor plays it so he finds happy, which is way better. In the 2019 version, because of how it’s filmed, I’m never sure if what we see is Jo’s REAL life or just an interpretation of her book. It kind of undercuts her happiness in my opinion. But I also recognize that the film is well made. Let me know if you see the film or read the book. :)

• Cindy Davis November 2, 2021 at 1:33 PM

I enjoyed The Printed Letter Bookshop, Anne of Green Gables, and The Secret Life of Sarah Hollenbeck.

Cindy Davis recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday-Books that surprised me
    • Rissi JC November 9, 2021 at 3:54 PM

All great things to know! I still have to read ‘Letter’ and I just feel as though Anne’s stories would be good. :)

• Stefani November 3, 2021 at 5:21 AM

I just ordered a box set of Anne of Green Gables, I plan on rereading those soon. Such a good list here.

Happy reading!

My TTT: https://readwithstefani.com/ten-old-favorite-books-i-want-to-reread-to-determine-if-theyre-all-time-favorites/

• Rissi JC November 9, 2021 at 5:05 PM

Wonderful. I really don’t think I’ve ever read them but they seem like solid stories – and I grew up loving the 80s miniseries.

• Jo November 4, 2021 at 5:02 PM

I’ve never read the Guernsey book but I really did love the film! I may try the book at some point.

Jo recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday #340
    • Rissi JC November 9, 2021 at 5:11 PM

I loved the film too, Jo! It’s such a lovely story, and I love that the film is a bit more romantic. :)