Hey, there! It’s time for yet another installment in our weekly series this time Pop Culture News Edition Thirty-One. This week there’s really one dominant cultural story that is being called by many a kind of shift in the many cultural debates. Whether or not it will be, I’m not convinced but hey, we’ll talk about that below.
Because only talking about one story may be boring I did try to collect a few “final things” stories to keep things fun and interesting. Or at least we do try. Let’s take a peek at that BIG story of the week and do a bit of Inter-webs research to see what else you can find.
POP CULTURE NEWS EDITION THIRTY-ONEPOP CULTURE NEWS EDITION THIRTY-ONE: THAT ONE BIG CULTURE STORY #POPCULTURE #BARBIE #MARGOTROBBIE #NEWMOVIES #TWITTER Click To Tweet
1: BARBIE’S DREAM COMES TRUE
The first image for Warner Brother’s upcoming, live action film Barbie was revealed earlier this week. What do you think about this film? Despite not being brought up on Barbie, I am curious but given Mattel’s more modern approaches and pushing of agendas, I’m also skeptical this will be more of an old-fashioned approach to the iconic character. That said, I’m determined to go into this open minded because it could be really fun. Take a look at this first look!
2: THE BIG EVENT TO REVEAL ALL THE BIG MOVIES
Apparently CinemaCon has been happening this week? Guys, I don’t know! I mean I read plenty of things about upcoming films and all that, but I don’t keep up with everything. Likely because I just don’t care. Regardless of this, LOTS of upcoming and “big” films had things revealed about them during this event.
One of the films announced and I guess “officially” revealed at the event is a prequel for The Hunger Games. Set to appear in 2023, the film will be titled The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. Other films that touted teasers and discussion is an adaptation of Are you there God? It’s Me, Margaret; Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning – Part 1; Minions: The Rise of Gru; the new Doctor Strange and lots more!
3: SUMMER IS HERE!
Amazon finally released its premiere date for Jenny Han’s The Summer I Turned Pretty. The series will drop June 17. If you haven’t read the novels, the plot follows a teen girl caught in a kind of love triangle between two brothers, both of whom are the sons of her mother’s best friend in what is a tight-knit group.
Speaking of Han, she also signed a deal with Prime in a deal that will see her “exclusively create, develop and produce additional projects to premiere on Prime Video […] via her newly formed production banner, Jenny Kissed Me.”
4: TWITTER IS NEW AGAIN?
After much back and forth and debate, and looking as though Elon Musk’s offer of 44-some billion dollars would not be accepted, the story broke this past Monday that Twitter did in fact accept his offer. There’s now stories circulating that the deal may, in fact, not go through. What do you think? Will it?
Honestly, while 100% an advocate and believer in free speech, I’m not entirely sure this buyout is going to be all that many are gushing over it as being. I’ve seen all the praise heaped on Elon Musk for the last two weeks or so since these rumors got rolling and I’m over here being more reserved. While excited at the prospect of real free speech coming back, I’m not sure Musk will do all or only good things with the platform. I’d also love to see more encouraging of shifting away from social media. The idea that that’s where we have to have conversation and debate seems sad to me. We should be challenging that and that’s what I wish I heard or saw more of versus the giddiness over this buyout.
POP CULTURE NEWS EDITION THIRTY-ONE LAST THINGS
- Marvel’s The Avengers will be ten years old this coming Thursday May 4th! Did you see this movie way back when? We celebrated this past week with a quiz. Just for fun.
- Did you or do you watch Amazon’s free streamer IMDb TV? If so, make note! They’re changing their name now to Freevee.
- Speaking of Freevee, there will be a new reality law show landing there, and executive produced by Judy Shienlin who also has her own Judy Justice show on the free streamer. Her once longtime bailiff Petri Hawkins Byrd will act as bailiff on the new show titled Tribunal. It’s described as “a panel-based show featuring two judges from the Sheindlin-produced syndicated series Hot Bench — Patricia DiMango and Tanya Acker — along with former district attorney (and Sheindlin’s son) Adam Levy. The panel of three judges will adjudicate real cases together, using video to allow viewers to follow the events surrounding each case.” Would you watch this one?
- In their continuing bid to shore up their roster of actors, Hallmark and Crown Media signed Aimee Teegarden, who will next appear in Heart of the Matter on the network’s ‘Movies and Mysteries’ channel come April. I have enjoyed what I’ve seen Teegarden in (her 2021 Christmas movie is all kinds of charming), so I’ll be curious to see more from this partnership.
- Netflix has the rights to Jennifer E. Smith’s The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. I’m seeing rumors about this adaptation for a long time but it’s said to feature Haley Lu Richardson and the plot will follow two strangers who meet on a plane only to later wonder if they’ll ever meet again. I’ve read a couple of Smith’s novels, should I make time for this one?
- There are stories at various outlets that Andrew Garfield is going to take a hiatus from acting; do you think this is true? Lots of times actors say this and then they don’t seem to take that break. Either that or our ideas and definitions of a hiatus is different. He says he wants to “just kind of be a person.”
- At that CinemaCon (which we mention above) event, there is some controversy about Olivia Wilde being given an envelope while on stage at an event. Later, news reports were legal documents and custody papers from her ex, Jason Sudeikis. He’s since come out and said that he didn’t know or intend for her to be served then. What do you think?
- Netflix opted to cancel its comedy Pretty Smart starring Emily Osment and getting only one season.
- Former Supernatural actor (and Gilmore Girls, too) and current CW Walker star Jared Padalecki recently gave a health update after being in a serious car accident. He said he’s on the mend and hopes to return to filming soon.
Did you see any of these stories? Did any surprise or delight you? Which stories did you see and which ones didn’t I include? Are you excited about Twitter? The Hallmark news? Sound off below with ALL of your thoughts.
Thank you for visiting; please do come back soon.