It’s Friday and so we’re off on another Pop Culture News Edition Twenty Eight. Time for some silly stories, the main of which is only about new series coming to screens soon. Because honestly, those are the stories I found more interesting. So we’re going themed this week. I guess.
About to get my searching on and see what else we can dig up. Hopefully a few more stories will pop up or catch my eye. Let’s jump right in.
POP CULTURE NEWS EDITION TWENTY EIGHT
1: CASE DISMISSED!
May 13 is the day you can see Netflix’s re-book of The Lincoln Lawyer. If you like legal dramas, you may have seen the Matthew McCaughey film from several years back, and now the popular streamer is re-booting the series. The show is based on a novel or novels from Michael Connelly and is from David E. Kelly. Given that the film is rated R, and based on Netflix’s track record, I see this as getting that TV-MA rating which is an R if not a bit higher rating. The series will star Manuel Garcia Rulfo as Mickey Haller, an lawyer who runs his practice from, you guessed it, his Lincoln. Additionally, the cast includes Beckie Newton, Neve Campbell and Christopher Gorham.
2: MEET MR. AND MRS. SMITH
Did you ever see THAT movie? You know the one that supposedly sparked the ill-fated relationship between Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. Of course we speak of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, the “sexy” thriller-esque movie that’s WAY more comedic than I ever expected. Well, Amazon Prime is re-booting this which apparently isn’t “news,” I just haven’t paid attention. What is NEW this week is a re-cast in Maya Erskine who joins Donald Glover. This follows the departure of Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who Glover notes left because of “creative differences.”
3: XOPOP CULTURE NEWS EDITION TWENTY EIGHT: NEW PRODUCTIONS AND XO’S #NETFLIX #MRANDMRSSMITH #THELINCOLNLAWYER #XOKITTY #THECROWN #DISENCHANTED #AMYADAMS Click To Tweet
The Convey’s are baaack! At least one will be. That’s right, Netflix released this little teaser photo this week of Kitty Covey and perhaps the suitors who catch her eye. Additionally, nine more were cast in the series the past week. The series is described as Kitty being a teen matchmaker, and honestly, I have to confess, I would quite like to see some ‘To All the Boys’ cameos here! Do you think we’ll see any?
4: SHE REIGNS!
Netflix is talking about a possible prequel series to The Crown. The series will air its final season this year, and goes one to say a possible prequel is nowhere near a “greenlight,” but it would likely follow the reign of Queen Victoria, the monarch who had the longest reign until Queen Elizabeth, which The Crown follows, has now surpassed. Would you watch this?
5: STILL ENCHANTED
A behind the scenes photo dropped this past week of Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey perhaps finally shooting the sequel for Enchanted. Doubt I’ll see the film but it’s fun to see the photos and to be able to safely assume Giselle and Robert have a solid happily ever after.
- CW has fourth seasons for shows like The Coroner and In the Dark set for their summer schedule, a lot of which are Canadian transplants for the network.
- In another cementing for their network, Hallmark and Jonathan Bennett signed a multi-picture deal with Hallmark/Crown Family Media. What type of film would you like to see him in?
- Laura Dern and Liam Hemsworth have signed onto a film for Netflix called Lonely Planet. The film is described as a “as a love story set in Morocco” with little else known about it.
- Though there’s been public confirmations that it will be made, the third feature for Robert Downey Jr.’s Sherlock Holmes continues to be delayed. In addition to its possible production, HBO is looking at two possible spin off series for characters we have not yet. RDJ’s production company would produce this.
- Sandra Bullock recently said, while promoting her newest movie, that she would not (with a resounding “no” when asked) make a third Miss Congeniality. Seems, like Speed 2 (which I mentioned a couple weeks ago), she’s embarrassed to have made the sequel. Don’t know about you, but I thought it was cute. Maybe not quite as good, but still lots of fun.
- Known for The Parent Trap, What Women Want and The Holiday among others, Nancy Meyers has struck a deal with Netflix to write, direct and produce an “ensemble comedy.”
- The Twitter board saw some changes this week with Elon Musk buying a large stake in the company. Everyone and their mom thinks this will bring positive changes for Twitter. Honestly, I just don’t see this happening, but I’d be glad to be wrong.
- Prime Video has picked up the rights to the long delayed (due to more than one casting change of the leading man!) Jennifer Lopez comedy Shotgun Wedding. The plot follows a couple who encounters more than one delay and trouble in their journey to ‘I Do.’
What about you? Did you hear any of these? Are any of these stories that make you excited? Would you watch any of these? Comment all the comments below! Let’s chat.
PINTEREST PIN – SAVE & SHARE
Thank you for visiting! Please, do come back soon.