THE (MANY) BOOKS I WAS SUPER EXCITED TO OWN BUT STILL HAVEN’T READ (#HELP). CHATTING 12 BOOKS I NEVER READ. ALL TEXT IS © RISSI JC

THE (MANY) BOOKS I WAS SUPER EXCITED TO OWN BUT STILL HAVEN’T READ (#HELP)

May 16, 2022 24 Comments

We’ve all been here. In that place of eagerly browsing the upcoming or new releases and thinking how badly we cannot wait to read a specific book. For many of us this place of books I was excited for but never read is a familiar one that we’ll have #relate stories to tell. (And I want to hear yours!) To further enhance this book worm humiliation, today I’m sharing some of mine that fall into this category.

LIST | 10 OF THE MOVIES I GREW UP WATCHING IS ALL HAPPY NOSTALGIA
THE (MANY) BOOKS I WAS SUPER EXCITED TO OWN BUT STILL HAVEN’T READ (#HELP) #ALLTHEBOOKS #READGOODBOOKS #READER #READING #TOPTENTUESDAY #FICTIONBOOKS #FICTION Click To Tweet

To be perfectly clear, when we (or I do) see these books and inevitably buy them, the intention to them follow though and read them is always good. It’s just sometimes if they sit for so long on my shelf, unread, sometimes I grow out of the book. Other times I still have a fond curiosity for the book and I just don’t make the time for them. Regardless, I’m glad to give them a little space to shine by providing some shout-outs today. Let’s get to it.

PS: As an extra feature today, I also want you guys to vote on these (at least a few of them) books today – do I keep them (and READ!!) or sell (eBay) and/or donate the book. Let’s have some fun.

BOOKS I WAS EXCITED FOR BUT NEVER READ

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: THE CODE FOR LOVE AND HEARTBREAK, JILLIAN CANTOR

Since October 2020

Curious about this one since learning it’s a loose modern re-telling of Emma. I’m here (and excited) for that! Plus it features tech in some way and I feel like it may have some Emma Approved influence? Amazon | Goodreads

2: THE ONE, KIERA CASS

Since 2014

Honestly, this one is one I feel like I “have” to read because I do enjoy Cass’ novels (they’re just chill and easy reading for me which is often sorely needed). Plus I did read The Selection and The Elite and did enjoy America’s story so far. Amazon | Goodreads

3: MY LADY JANE, CYNTHIA HAND + BRODI ASHTON + JODI MEADOWS

Since 2016

Guess I’ve had this one on my shelf close to as long as its been in the world. I hear so many positive things about these ‘Janie’ books. I have all of them and have started to collect their ‘Mary’ books now too. Just have to give them all a chance now. Amazon | Goodreads

SHOULD I KEEP (AKA READ) OR TRASH 'MY LADY JANE'?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
4: IT STARTED WITH GOODBYE, CHRISTINA JUNE

Published with the former Blink Books, I think Christina’s novels were ALWAYS books I was really excited and eager to read! Likely because they were fairy tale re-tellings. I’ve still hung onto them all these years later because of that excitement. Is that excitement enough to make this or any worth the read still? Amazon | Goodreads

5: WAIT FOR ME, CAROLINE LEECH

Since 2017

Love a historical that sounds really charming and good. Just hope if I do finally read this one that I do end up enjoying it too! Amazon | Goodreads

6: DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, MICHELLE MADOW

Since 2015

Read books one and two in this series and had so-so feelings about them. They’re very different than Madow’s Taylor Swift inspired time-travelling romances which is what she debuted with. So these are more “slick” and “adult” despite being YA. Have you read book three… and is it good? Amazon | Goodreads

SHOULD I KEEP (AKA READ) OR TRASH 'DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER'?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
THE (MANY) BOOKS I WAS SUPER EXCITED TO OWN BUT STILL HAVEN’T READ (#HELP) #BOOKWORM #BOOKWORMS #BOOKNERD #BLOGGERS #BLOGGING #BLOGGER #READER #READING #TOPTENTUESDAY Click To Tweet
THE (MANY) BOOKS I WAS SUPER EXCITED TO OWN BUT STILL HAVEN’T READ (#HELP). CHATTING 12 BOOKS I WAS EXCITED FOR BUT NEVER READ. TEXT IS © RISSI JC
7: ISLA AND THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER, STEPHANIE PERKINS

I really enjoyed ‘Anna’ (from my memory), liked but didn’t love ‘Lola’ and now still should read this third book in Perkins contemporary “trilogy.” So chances are I will keep this one just because I still want to read it. But I still want you guys to vote! Amazon | Goodreads

8: KISS ME IN PARIS, CATHERINE RIDER

Since fall 2018

Not 100% sure but I’m guessing I owned this one around the fall season of 2018 given that’s its release. I wanted to read it because I did enjoy Catherine’s (which I believe is the pen name of a duo) Kiss me in New York. Amazon | Goodreads

9: THE FREEMASON’S DAUGHTER, SHELLEY SACKIER

Since 2017

Not sure what initially attracted me to this one, but I do remember being curious. (Plus this book and Wait for Me share a debut year so I suspect discovering these was when I was at the height of my HarperTeen cover reveal obsession.) Perhaps just that I had so little YA historical fiction? Or, more likely, the pretty cover art. Amazon | Goodreads

SHOULD I KEEP (AKA READ) OR TRASH 'THE FREEMASON'S DAUGHTER'?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
10: WHEN TIDES TURN, SARAH SUNDIN

Since spring 2017

I adore Sarah’s novels. Or those I’ve read. Pretty sure I read books one and two in this series which feels a tiny bit more like “cozy” mystery solving despite the very real and serious threat WWII poses to our heroic characters. Amazon | Goodreads

11: NOBLE LEGACY, SUSAN MAY WARREN

Since 2006

Ok, yes, this one is perhaps THE most embarrassing. I don’t remember exactly when I got these books but book one released in 2006, and I’m guessing it wasn’t too long after that… certainly LONG before I knew what “blogging” meant. But either way, I still own these and think I would still enjoy because Susan May Warren is a master at any genre she takes on. Amazon | Goodreads

12: TO BEST THE BOYS, MARY WEBER

Since March 2019

I read Mary’s ‘Storm Siren’ trilogy years ago and did enjoy it (much to my surprise since I don’t have a fondness for the genre). Needless to say when she was set to release a standalone, I was on that and bought a copy. Sadly it’s remained on my shelf! As is true of any of these titles today, I need you guys to vote: keep or sell? Amazon | Goodreads

SHOULD I KEEP (AKA READ) OR TRASH 'TO BEST THE BOYS'?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ok, your turn! Tell me… what books have you had on your shelf (unread) forever? Will you keep them or toss them? Are there any you realized you still cannot wait to read? Have you read any of these? Comment all the comments!

As always, thanks for being here – stay and browse a while! I do apologize for not responding to comments faster and visiting your spaces. But I see every comment, appreciate it and am grateful you make the time to visit! I’m going to make every effort to reply promptly this week.

PINTEREST PIN – SAVE & SHARE

Thank you for visiting; please do come back soon.

Linking Up with That Artsy Reader Girl May 17: Books I Was SO EXCITED to Get, but Still Haven’t Read (bonus points if you tell us how long it’s been since you got them!)

• Brittaney B May 16, 2022 at 3:22 PM

Some of these are also on my still TBR list! lol

• Rissi JC May 19, 2022 at 11:53 AM

*sigh* It’s one of those normal bookworm struggles. ;)

• Rae @ HerSerialLife.com May 17, 2022 at 2:01 AM

Great list. This week’s prompt was a great exercises. I haven’t read any of these books, but if you still haven’t read them after this long maybe it’s time to let them go ;)
    So my vote is: sell or donate all the books you bought before 2020.

• Rissi JC May 19, 2022 at 11:55 AM

Right? That’s how I feel often too, Rae! There’s a few (like ‘Isla’) on this list I don’t want to get rid of because I liked the other books by the author or series. But I tend to agree with you. If I haven’t read it yet, that means something. :D

• Lydia May 17, 2022 at 5:45 AM

I don’t know enough about any of these books to vote in your polls, but I hope you enjoy the books you do end up reading!

• Rissi JC May 19, 2022 at 11:55 AM

Thank you, Lydia! Me too.

• Emily @Budget Tales Book Blog May 17, 2022 at 6:41 AM

I have so many books on my shelves that I got excited about and then never read. I will keep them all though and just get more shelves for any new books!

Have a great week!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:

• Rissi JC May 19, 2022 at 11:59 AM

I’ve had to get new shelves too! I’m doing a good job of keeping it to what I have now and frequently go through and unhaul books that I list on eBay or donate. :) Thanks so much for visiting, Emily.

• Emily @Budget Tales Book Blog May 19, 2022 at 1:59 PM

I have sort of left mine and just keep adding Tour books to the shelves. It’s a nightmare! Need a bigger house next!!

• Rissi JC May 24, 2022 at 7:01 PM

It IS. I have TONS of books everywhere in the room I use as an “office” and it drives me nuts! Some I need to drop at the library, but the others I’m trying to sell, and while they do sell here and there, it’s WAY too slow to make a dent. ;P

• Angela May 17, 2022 at 9:35 AM

My Lady Jane was really good, probably my favorite in the series! (although they were all good!)

• Rissi JC May 19, 2022 at 12:03 PM

YAY! I hear so many amazing things about those books and *STILL* haven’t read them. Hoping to at some point. :) Thanks for visiting, Angela.

• Cindy Davis May 17, 2022 at 10:57 AM

I have not read any of these and some I have not heard of, so I won’t vote. My opinion is if you have books and the first 2 were so-so, what are the odds the next one will be great? I have eliminated books for that reason alone. Or given an author many tries and not loved any of them so took them all off my Kindle/TBR piles. I think it’s time to get rid of books I’ve had on my shelves forever and never read as well.

• Rissi JC May 19, 2022 at 12:05 PM

YES! I agree. If the books were so-so, I 100% feel it means there may not be need to read the third, fourth, etc. books. I like to give an author a second chance (this is true of an author like Emily Henry; didn’t love her first book but think I’ll try her followup) but after that, I figure, it’s best to move on. :)

• Carrie @ Reading Is My SuperPower May 17, 2022 at 12:20 PM

The Code for Love and Heartbreak was really cute! I’ll be interested in your thoughts if you do end up reading it :)

Carrie @ Reading Is My SuperPower recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday: Green Cover Love (for Lyme Disease Awareness Month)
    • Rissi JC May 19, 2022 at 12:05 PM

I really want to, Carrie! It just sounds fun and cute. :) Thanks for visiting.

• Amber @ Books of Amber May 17, 2022 at 1:51 PM

I really enjoyed Isla but it was nowhere near as cute as Anna imo!

Amber @ Books of Amber recently posted: Dead Silence by S. A. Barnes | Book Review
  • Brittany May 18, 2022 at 12:19 AM

I really liked The Selection Series! Though I binged it so I don’t remember which books where which haha. Like you said they were chill and easy reads and I think that is why I liked them so much, I just needed a quick easy escape at the time!

Brittany recently posted: Is Charlie Bowater the Cover Artist?
  • Stefani May 19, 2022 at 1:45 PM

I haven’t read past book 3 in The Selection series, not sure I ever will. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/books-i-was-so-excited-to-get-but-still-havent-read/

• Rissi JC May 24, 2022 at 7:00 PM

I’ve seen LOTS of people say they don’t like the “follow up” ‘Selection’ books. If I ever read “The One,” I’ll probably give the others a fair shot. :)

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads May 19, 2022 at 2:00 PM

I’ve only read Isla, it’s been a while but I remember enjoying it when I first read it. Hope you’ll enjoy all of these!

• Rissi JC May 24, 2022 at 7:02 PM

Thanks! Me too, Lindsey. And I kind of feel “committed” to Isla’s story given I read the others. :)

• Poinsettia May 21, 2022 at 7:39 PM

I definitely recommend reading My Lady Jane! It is the funniest of the Janie books.
    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

• Rissi JC May 24, 2022 at 7:08 PM

I love all the recommendations for this Janie series! It seems WAY fun so I hope to make time for it. :)