Just Smile: Life’s ‘Thousand’ Little Things

April 3, 2012 8 Comments

They say laughter is good for the soul.

I don’t know if it’s true or not (metaphorically speaking, of course) but I do know a good laugh can lift my mood like nothing else. The one person who can make me smile in spite of myself is my father. I don’t know how he does it, but it’s just one of the many reasons I love him. Honestly? I don’t know why some things tickle my funny bone when everyone else is thinking, “what was so funny?” but whatever, maybe when I get in such moods, I’m in serious need of a pick-me-up.

Just Smile: Life's ‘Thousand’ Little Things. A reminder to smile and enjoy life! What makes you smile? All text is Rissi JC and RissiWrites.com

Life has a way of “weighing” us down. Around us, the “bad” life gives consumes us, and we forget what’s “good.” Why do we forget to cherish the joy in our lives; the “insignificant” things that seem unworthy of our time? I feel like I’ve been given a precious gift to have been raised in this family. My childhood was a happy one and, there was always laughter – many memories were made.

RELATED DISCUSSION | IN THE HERE AND NOW: LESSONS FROM THE FILM ‘IN TIME’

Just Smile: Life's ‘Thousand’ Little Things #FWarchives Click To Tweet

The state our nation is in – or maybe there are trials a little closer to home, tends to leave us in a perpetual state of worry or fear. We think 24/7 about “what ifs” instead of stopping to smell the roses; stopping to enjoy the laughter of a child or the simple joy of coming home. A fresh bouquet of flowers or playing a board game. All of these things we “forgot” in life. You never know if a polite “please” and “thank-you” could mean something. Whether idle chatter may make a difference in the day of the person who hands you your change. Or if a smile to the person you pass at the grocery store could make their day a little brighter. We’ve lost a sense of joyfulness that shouldn’t be gone.

Christian trio Point of Grace has a new single out called “A Thousand Little Things.” Again, they meet and surpass expectations. The song chronicles the smallest things in life that we overlook; the things that can bring a smile to brighten our day. The moments which we’re most grateful for.

Whatever might be happening in life now won’t always be a problem. There will be change. Just remember, sometimes laughter is the best medicine. So, have a good day; and don’t forget to, just smile. ♥

• Jessica April 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Thanks for such an encouraging post, Rissi. I'm sorry I haven't been commenting much lately, but I have still been reading ;D This was just so great♥

xo,
    J

• Lauren S. April 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Thanks, Rissi! This was an inspiring post. :)

It reminded me of Proverbs 17:22 – "a merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones."

• Rissi April 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Jessica – thank you! I appreciate your sweet words.

I so glad you are back to commenting of late, girl – it is always great to hear from you. =)

Lauren – excellent verse. Thanks for that. =)

• Rachel April 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM

This was such a fun post and a great reminder to read, Rissi ~ thanks for posting it! :) It truly is the little things in life that make us smile…well and the big things too…and laughter/smiles definitely make the whole day a whole lot better! :)

• Gwendolyn Gage April 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Inside jokes with God are the best! Thanks for the reminder to look for joy in the little things. :-)

• Rissi April 4, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Rachel – thanks! It started out much different, and so, I basically wrote it up spur-of-the-moment which is not something I usually do. It always feels good to "let go" and write something not "planned," or seriously considered. =)

I am so glad you left a comment, girl – I've missed you. =)

Gwendolyn – sure. Don't we all need these reminders… probably more than we should, right!? ;-)

• Anonymous April 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Great post…I love to laugh and make other people laugh…I had a friend in middle school that her mother said she didn't like me because I laugh too much…REALLY? Maybe she needs to laugh more…LOL

♥ Shia

• Rissi April 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM

There is such joy in this world even amidst the "depressing" things that somehow always get us down – it is always a "good thing" to laugh. =)

BTW: I will be doing your blog award in the next few days, Shia! =)