The Seven New Authors I Read in 2017!

January 2, 2018 46 Comments

Hello readers and fellow bookworms. Welcome to 2018 – and the very first Top Ten Tuesday of 2018. Let’s hope 2018 doesn’t travel past us with quite as much speed as 2017 did. Today we again join in with Broke and Bookish for their January 2: Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2017.

The New Authors I Read in 2017! Talking new authors of 2017 (or those I discovered in this last year). What about you? © Rissi JC

So, the new authors of 2017! Goodness. I feel like there should be more than those I’ve collected down below (and I know there is), but I also feel like most of these books have been populating Finding Wonderland’s lists the past couple of weeks. Not that I mind because when a bookworm discovers a great book, they want to share all the shares about it. Fortunately for me, I think most of us feel the same way.

PS; you can also read about Finding Wonderland’s #Bestof2017 | Top Shelf Reads of 2017

NEW AUTHORS OF 2017

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details. If you have purchased anything through our links, thank you. We’re grateful.)

(Yes, kind of recycling last weeks photos… because life.)

1. What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum | Though this is the first book I’ve read by Julie, it won’t be the last. I think this one was adorable, and too cute! Amazon | Goodreads

2. The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep |Historical novels aren’t always my jam. Why I cannot say since I’m a die-hard BBC period drama aficionado. That said, I remembering thinking Michelle’s novel quite stunning with a genuine and heartfelt romance. Amazon | Goodreads

3. Close to You by Kara Isaac | OK, so technically I read this one in 2016 (which I discovered upon editing), but it deserves ALL THE MENTIONS. Though it took me a great deal long than it should have, I finally read and thoroughly enjoyed Kara’s
beautiful debut. It’s an adult romance with intelligence. Amazon | Goodreads

4. A Lesson in Love and Murder by Rachel McMillan | Rachel’s novels are always pure delight from first page to last. They make me smile and laugh which makes them (in my book) the best kind of stories. Also, I realize I did not discover Rachel as an author in 2017… but what can I say? Reading this book was long overdue… and I’m all for oversharing about amazing fiction. Amazon | Goodreads

5. Lola & the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins | After reading Anna and the French kiss reading this companion/follow up novel was high on my list. Fortunately 2017 was THE year I finally read it.  Amazon | Goodreads

6. The Distance Between Us by Kasie West | I discovered lots of Kasie West books in 2017. From ‘Distance’ to On the Fence and her next-to-latest release, Lucky in Love, they were all magical in their varying degrees of adorable. Amazon | Goodreads

7. Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon | Read my first Nicola Yoon novel, and like so many that I delayed reading, tit too is a lovely story of hope and overcoming emotional scars. Amazon | Goodreads | Find the film adaptation on BluRay via Amazon

Your turn! Please tell me about the new authors of 2017 you discovered. I’d love to hear all about them (so I can take a look at all the possible new books!). Which new discoveries were your favorites? Send all the recommendations my way. Of course, the same ending comments also apply: if you joined this meme, leave your links! It may take me the week to visit your bookish spaces, but I would love to visit them.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

• Paula Phillips January 2, 2018 at 6:00 am

I've read a few on your list and Stephanie Perkin's is one of my favourites :) I have her latest There's Someone in the House to read. Following from The Phantom Paragrapher

• Rissi January 2, 2018 at 6:45 am

Fun! I do hope you enjoy Stephanie's newest. That one is on my shelf too. :)

Thanks so much for being a reader and following, Paula. :)

• Tash M January 2, 2018 at 8:11 am

I love Nicole Yoon as well. I read my first Steph Perkin's in 2017 as well, her latest but wasn't a massive fan. Here' is mine where I list my favourites http://thoughtsbytash.com/top-ten-new-authors-read-2017-top-ten-tuesday/

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 3:49 am

Nicola's storytelling is fabulous! So looking forward to reading more from her. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Tash.

• Greg January 2, 2018 at 8:17 am

I tried Stephanie Perkins this past year, and Kasie West is another one who looks like she writes fun stuff! I wouldn't mind trying Buxbaum at some point either maybe.

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 3:50 am

Kasie's books are ADORABS, Greg. Hope you enjoy if/when you try them – and enjoy Julie's too! I thought 'Next' was lovely. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Anonymous January 2, 2018 at 9:19 am

Super pleased that you found Kasie West and Stephanie Perkins in 2017. They are great authors. :-)

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 3:52 am

Same, Chrissi!! Kasie and Stephanie are both fantastic. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Sophie @ Books Like Wolves January 2, 2018 at 11:51 am

I LOVED What to Say Next too. Even though it dealt with grief and complicated issues, I left the book feeling positivity and GOOD with myself.

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 3:56 am

It's really unique, isn't it, Sophie? Such a great story full of interesting character's and emotions.

Thanks for visiting! :)

• Lauren January 2, 2018 at 1:02 pm

I love Stephanie Perkins, and her first trilogy is super cute. :)

-Lauren

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 3:56 am

Me too, Lauren!! Her first companion set is darn cute indeed. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Astilbe January 2, 2018 at 1:39 pm

I hadn't heard of any of these books. The cover for Everything Everything sure is intriguing, though.

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 3:58 am

Isn't it? I also thought Everything, Everything boasted a great cover. :)

Appreciate you visiting!

• Anonymous January 2, 2018 at 2:15 pm

I too enjoy Rachel McMillan's books. Her stories seem unique to me, her Sherlocky sleuths are lovable and her books make me smile too. Recently I read a few negative reviews on her stories, but I like her books. Thanks for including her on your list. :)

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:01 am

Rachel's stories are lovely, and I love how you describe her characters. They never tire of their fun escapades. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!! :)

• Sara @ Forever 17 Books January 2, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Julie Buxbaum! I can't believe I missed her when I was making my list. I adored What to Say Next and need to go back and read Tell Me Three Things. I'm so glad you got to read some Kasie West novels too! She's one of my favorite authors. :)

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:05 am

I too need to go read Tell Me Three Things, Sara. I hear it's pretty amazing. Perhaps that one will be on both our lists for 2018! Kasie's books are amazing. One of my favorite go-to happy reads author. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Flipping Through the Pages January 2, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Stephanie Perkins and Nicola Yoon are definitely the authors that I want to read this year :) Thanks for sharing!

My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/01/top-ten-tuesday-11-new-authors-read-2017/

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:06 am

YAY! Hope you discover some amazing new authors (plus Stephanie and Nicola) this coming year. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Brittaney January 2, 2018 at 4:27 pm

The Captive Heart was one of my favorite books from 2016. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Love the rest of the authors on your list too!

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:07 am

Thanks, Brittaney – gotta love reminiscing about favorite reads of the year. :)

So glad, as always, to have you visit.

• IloveHeartlandX January 2, 2018 at 4:59 pm

I haven't read any of the authors on your list, but I'm glad you enjoyed them!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/02/top-ten-tuesday-140/

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:09 am

Thanks! Me too. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Jessica | ReadingwithJessica January 2, 2018 at 5:25 pm

I can't wait to try Julie Buxbaum and Kasie West!! Both authors book's sound so cute!! Hopefully sometime this year!! Great list <3

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:12 am

They are wonderful, Jessica! Hope you have the chance to enjoy them in 2018. :)

Appreciate you stopping by.

• Lillian McCurry January 2, 2018 at 7:16 pm

I read Michelle Griep for the first time this year as well. I read her "12 Days at Bleakly Manor." If you enjoy BBC period dramas, you would enjoy this. It's her own story interwoven with a Dickens classic. Perfect for Christmas ;)

My TTT: http://www.momwithareadingproblem.com/2018/01/ttt-129-new-authors-read-2017/

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:14 am

I do enjoy BBC dramas, Lillian! Appreciate the recommendation – that's definitely one I'll have to take a closer look at. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense January 2, 2018 at 8:08 pm

You must read Nicola Yoon's The Sun Is Also a Star. It's one of my favorite contemporaries and really showcases Yoon's growth as an author. Happy 2018!

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:15 am

As I do indeed love contemporaries, I'll have to make 'Sun' a priority in 2018! Thanks so much, Alicia – and as always, glad you stopped by. :)

• Ashley Sapp January 2, 2018 at 8:20 pm

Great list! I need to read Close to You. And I can't believe I still haven't read Rachel McMillan's series. It sounds like a lot of fun. Happy New Year! :)

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:19 am

Rachel's books are SO MUCH FUN, Ashley. Hope you enjoy!! (And Kara's is fantastic, too!)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Hanne T January 2, 2018 at 10:53 pm

2017 was the year i really got into Christian fiction as a whole, so I guess I discovered most Christian fiction authors in 2017? I also got into YA fiction a lot more, so i also discovered a lot of authors there too.
    I haven't read Everything, Everything yet but I'm reading Nicola Yoon's other duology soon!

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:21 am

How fun! It's always fun to discover new genres and within that new favorite authors! I hope you found some great Christian and YA authors in 2017. Happy 2018 TBR-ing, Hanne.

…and thanks so much for visiting. :)

• Courtney Clark January 2, 2018 at 11:00 pm

I *still* need to read a Kara Isaac novel. I have all 3 of hers on my kindle app! And, any time is a good time to gush over Rachel McMillan, no matter what year ;) . Happy reading, Rissi, and thanks for visiting my TTT earlier!

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:22 am

Kara's books are smart and funny, Courtney – a winning combination in this girl's reader handbook. :)

Rachel's books are forever wins. Love her stories.

Happy 2018 TBR-ing, Courtney – and THANK YOU, as always, for visiting here. :)

• Captivated Reader January 3, 2018 at 12:19 am

I've yet to read any of the authors you shared in your TTT post this week… Time to explore some more new to me authors!!

Here's a link to my TTT post this week:

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:23 am

Always a fun "chore," isn't it? :D

Thanks so much for visiting!!

• Becky January 3, 2018 at 3:53 am

Buxbaum, Griep, Isaac, and West all made my list, too. No surprise there, as we do enjoy many of the same books 🙂.

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:24 am

YAY! And I agree. Glad to have you among those in this blog-y community who I can gush over shared favorites with, Becky. :)

Thanks for visiting!

• Tracy January 3, 2018 at 4:06 pm

These are mostly new to me, but I LOVED Everything, Everything! I really need to read Lola and the Boy Next Door. Great list!

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:26 am

Me too, Tracy! So good, right!?!

Enjoy, 'Lola.' I liked Anna and the French Kiss a smidgen better than its sequel, but 'Lola' is still fun.

Thanks for visiting!

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads January 3, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Ah, I really need to get to some new Kasie West book, it's been too long ;) Stephanie Perkins' books were so much fun, and I loved Julie Buxbaum's Tell Me Three Things, so I'm hoping to get to her other book soon as well!

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:28 am

Hope you do, Lindsey – and I know her books show up way (too) often on my lists. ;)

Stephanie's and Julie's books are different, but both are fun! Looking forward to discovering 'Three Things' (hopefully THIS year).

Thanks for visiting!!

• Amanda Holmes January 4, 2018 at 4:07 am

Nicola and Julie are on my list for 2018.;)

• Rissi January 9, 2018 at 4:31 am

Hope you discover them, Amanda – and you enjoy!! :)

Appreciate you visiting.