Top Ten Tuesday | Bookish Worlds that Terrify (Because Death Matches, Magic and Zombies, Oh My!)

May 29, 2018 35 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | Bookish Worlds that Terrify (Because Death
Matches, Magic and Zombies, Oh My!)

Happy Tuesday readers. With each new Tuesday, here on
Finding Wonderland we join the long standing meme known as Top Ten Tuesday.

That Artsy Reader Girl May 29: Bookish Worlds I’d Never
Want to Live In

(This post does contain affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost
to you, I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link.
Read the
disclosure page for details.)
Not long ago we talked about bookish spaces with
the topic ‘
Books That Take Place In Another Country.’ This week, we again talk book places, only this
go-round it’s about bookish worlds we’ve never (like ever) want to live in. Let’s face it, some of these bookish worlds
are pretty darn terrifying.
As I trolled my Goodreads page, and tried to call
to mind the past books I’ve read, I realized something: there are some pretty
terrible worlds in the fictional game. From making their protagonists fight to
the death to devastating secrets that rule everyone’s actions, these worlds are
no laughing matter. Needless to say, for varying reasons, the below list is
among those worlds I would not – under any circumstances, wish to be a
part of!
Bookish Worlds that Terrify (Because Death Matches, Magic
and Zombies, Oh My!)

*also, yes, recycling last week’s graphics… because, once again, last minute – again!!
1: Cessation from Gunslinger Girl by Lindsay
Ely | Unique though this concept is, this is not a world I’d wish to be a part
of. There’s far too many dangers lurking around every bustling corner. Amazon |
Goodreads

2: England circa 1500s from Roses Have Thorns by
Sandra Byrd | There are many books set in the Tudor times, but I choose this
one for one specific reason – I actually read this one once upon a time.
Another book on my shelf set during the Tudor reign is The Usurper’s Throne.
In this era, it feels like all someone had to do was look at the King wrong and
in the words of the Red Queen, it was all “off with his head!” Amazon |
Goodreads

3: Manhattan circa 2118 from The Thousandth
Floor
by Katharine McGee | Yeah, this is another world I’d NOT wish to be a
part of. There’s too much drama, too many secrets, and just general dislike between all the characters.
Amazon | Goodreads

4: Panem from The Hunger Games by Suzanne
Collins | Do I use The Hunger Games a lot? I feel like I do. Still, something tells me this book is going to be super popular on
today’s lists. I mean, one can understand why, too! Being placed in an arena
and forced to fight until the DEATH!? Yeah. Not a prime vacation spot. Amazon | Goodreds
 Find the film on Amazon Video or purchase on DVD.

5: Viyara from Bright
Smoke, Cold Fire
by Rosamund Hodge | Not a big fan of this story nor its
world. Do you like Rosamund’s style? Or is it just this one book? Amazon |
Goodreads

6: Wisconsin circa 1906 from The House on Foster Hill by Jaime Jo Wright | Really, visiting the house in the 1900s or its present day timeline is not something I’d relish. In 1906 there are creepy happenings going on and in the present, the heroine is also experiencing creepiness. All in all, it’s not a house I’d be too quick to step inside! Amazon | Goodreads

7: Zombie Infested England circa 1800s from Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahme-Smith | Adding a caveat to this one. Perhaps the only thing that might tempt me to step into this world – and it’s a slim temptation is Colonel Fitzwilliam Darcy. Just saying. Amazon | Goodreads ● Rent or own Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on Amazon Video

*video publishes Tuesday
afternoon; channel linked above
 ____________
What bookish worlds terrify you? I’ve a suspicion there are
more on my shelf that could apply to today’s topic, but for now, we’ll leave it
at these 7! (At least next time the meme is about travel, it’ll be a pleasant experience.)
Which books made your list? Let’s talk.
If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten
Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad
to visit your bookish spaces.
Finding Wonderland.

PS: if you’d like to have Finding Wonderland’s new content sent to your inbox; sign up for our once (or twice) monthly round up of new content. (In order to be signed up, you must confirm via email.) If you’d like to have this newsletter sent to your inbox, you can enter your email address here.

• Destiny @ Howling Libraries May 29, 2018 at 4:12 am

Great list! Panem is one of the #1 bookish worlds that comes to my mind when I think of places I would NEVER want to visit or live in, haha!

Here's my T10T if you want to check it out!

• Rissi May 29, 2018 at 4:18 am

Right? And it IS pretty creepy!

Thanks so much for visiting, Destiny. :)

• Prototype_SR04 May 29, 2018 at 4:25 am

It was definitely on my list this week too!

• Rissi May 29, 2018 at 4:29 am

I knew it'd be popular! :)

• Tóth Viktória May 29, 2018 at 7:46 am

Awesome list! I didn't read Gunslinger girl yet but based on the reviews it is not all rainbows and unicorns. Also Panem is a pretty depressing world.

My TTT:https://fantasyraiders.wordpress.com/2018/05/29/top-ten-tuesday-my-favorite-world-builders/#more-8428

• Rissi June 1, 2018 at 3:52 am

Panem IS indeed depressing.

Gunslinger Girl is unique, but not 100% a me book. Still, I'm glad to have read it. :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

• Crazy Lady May 29, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Totally agree with your selections here! Especially Panem. I can't even imagine…

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

• Rissi June 1, 2018 at 3:53 am

Right!? That world would FREAK ME OUT! So grateful I don't have to live in that kind of world. :)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Angela May 29, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Ooh, Pride & Prejudice & Zombies is a good one. I would imagine life was pretty hard in the 1800s to begin with, and then adding zombies? Not fun.

• Rissi June 1, 2018 at 3:57 am

Well said, Angela. I'd agree. I'm not sure I'd make it in even a realistic 1800s world. Too attached – and grateful, for today's many modern conveniences.

Thanks so much for visiting. :)

• Mariela Silva May 29, 2018 at 1:37 pm

My 12 years old is reading it for school , she says she wants to live in the hunger games. I am like WTF!
    Or she comes and asks me if I would be sad if she gets called for the Games, or if I think she has any changes of survive. I am like NO! Rue I believe was 12 and she died!

My TTT.

• Mariela Silva May 29, 2018 at 1:38 pm

The Hunger Games, I forgot to add what book :P

• Rissi June 1, 2018 at 3:58 am

I'm with you: there'd be no way I'd want to live inside the world of The Hunger Games. The experience reading the book is as close as I'll ever wish to get. ;)

Thanks so much for visiting, Mariela.

• IloveHeartlandX May 29, 2018 at 2:25 pm

I had Panem as well-definitely would not want to live there!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/29/top-ten-tuesday-161/

• Rissi June 1, 2018 at 4:29 am

Definitely a not cool place to live! It's way creepy.

Thanks so much for visiting, Jo. :)

• Brittaney May 29, 2018 at 3:51 pm

The House on Foster Hill was absolutely creepy! I couldn't believe how well the author manifested the haunting, suppressive atmosphere on the page. And when the truth about the house came out, it was even more frightening than I imagined.

• Rissi June 1, 2018 at 4:36 am

Jaimie expertly crafts this creepy world in 'Foster Hill.' SO much creepiness going on and that's, I think, really what she wanted for this type of novel – so she definitely accomplishes a high "creep" factor. ;)

Thanks, as always, for visiting, Brittaney.

• Dani Dewey May 29, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Panem – totally! I think all Hunger Games fans would pass on visiting that world :)
    Dani @ The Restricted Section

• Rissi June 1, 2018 at 4:37 am

Panem is a popular one this week – as well it should be! :D

Thanks so much for visiting, Dani.

• Alicia AKernelofNonsense May 29, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Yes, The Hunger Games is on so many list and who can blame you? I wouldn't want to be thrown into an arena and have to fight to the death. I have no skills!

• Rissi June 1, 2018 at 4:38 am

Right!? Me either, Alicia. Just the mere thought of this gives me the creeps.

Appreciate you stopping by. :)

• I have not read any of these, but just knowing vague bits and pieces of the stories, I too can say I would not want to live in any of them!

• Rissi June 4, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Right? *shudder* Far to many creepy things going on!

Thanks for visiting, Sarah. :)

• Greg May 30, 2018 at 6:52 am

Nice list. Cessation sounds like bad news, and Panem- yeah. :) No thanks ha ha.

• Rissi June 4, 2018 at 10:30 pm

Ditto! Too many creepy things going on in BOTH places. :)

Thanks for visiting, Greg.

• Amber Holcomb May 30, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Fun list, friend! Well…fun in a "good thing this will never happen to us" sort of way. ;)

I haven't read Rosamund Hodge's new series, but I absolutely love Cruel Beauty, and I also enjoyed Gilded Ashes and Crimson Bound. Granted, these are still creepy stories…but the depth and characters and meaning are really good. :) I hope you enjoy another of her stories if you try her earlier ones!

~Amber

• Rissi June 4, 2018 at 10:34 pm

Well said, Amber. I am SO thankful we don't have to live in worlds like this.

I'm still thinking I need to give Cruel Beauty a chance since I have seen some good reviews on it. I just couldn't get into 'Smoke,' though to be fair part of this could be because it's a retelling of "Romeo & Juliet" which has NEVER been a favorite story. So… there is that!

So glad you dropped by – always wonderful to chat with you, friend. Hugs.

• Tracy May 30, 2018 at 5:49 pm

We had a similar list this week and I am absolutely right there with you on The Hunger Games! I absolutely don't want to go to that world!

• Rissi June 4, 2018 at 10:38 pm

They say never say never, but in this case, I'm going to! ;)

Thanks for visiting, Tracy.

• Lauren Stoolfire May 31, 2018 at 1:02 am

I was really surprised by how much I ended up liking PPZ – great list!

• Rissi June 4, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Me too! It's a REALLY fun read. :)

Thanks for visiting, Lauren. As always.

• Hallie May 31, 2018 at 4:05 am

Okay, just looked up the book set in 1906 and I definitely wouldn't want to live in that bookish world either! Super fun list to read!

• Rissi June 4, 2018 at 11:06 pm

*high five* Too many terrifying possibilities!

Thanks so much for visiting, Hallie. :)

• Daniela Ark June 4, 2018 at 4:33 pm

I really want to read he Thousandth Floor! even more now after knowing its Manhattan circa 2118 is terrifying :)

• Rissi June 4, 2018 at 11:07 pm

It's not terrifying in the same way a Zombie world is, but still… it wouldn't want to be a world I'd have to live in. ;)

Thanks for visiting, Daniela.