7 Characters That Make an Impression | Top Ten Tuesday

May 6, 2019 rissiwri 36 Comments

7 Characters That Make an Impression | Top Ten Tuesday

May 6, 2019 Rissi JC 36 Comments

Hello happy readers and friends. It’s the first Tuesday of a new month (???), and so we participate in Top Ten Tuesday May 7:

That Artsy Reader Girl | May 7: Characters That Remind Me of Myself

To be honest, as fun as this topic seems, I don’t really read characters as people who remind me of me. Is that weird? I don’t know why, but I don’t. Perhaps subconsciously when I like a character it’s because I can relate to them on some level, but at the surface, I certainly don’t read a character thinking, [you] remind me of me so much! It’s just not a throught process my reader brain goes to.

That said, there was as character I remember thinking how much I could #RELATE. Alas, I don’t remember who it was or when. (I know, the day after I publish this, I’ll remember, and be annoyed I forgot.) But on the upside, there are plenty of characters who I like that I’ll forever and always be happy to talk about.

Let’s meet them.

Top Ten Tuesday May 7

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: Abbey from Bottled with Love | Ok, so no this isn’t a book character, but she was first introduced on paper, right? Either way, this character is one of my most favorite leading ladies in a while. She’s adorable, and many a time did I #relate to her struggles or insecurities.

TV FILM REVIEW | Bottled with Love – A Story that Reminds Us How to Dream

2: Nora Bradford from True to You (Becky Wade) | Nora is a delightful character who I found it easy to connect with. We share a love of books, and though I’m probably not as old-fashioned as she, I do appreciate simpler things and the idea of a time when life wasn’t quite so complicated. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday May 7

3: Lara Jean Covey from To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (Jenny Han) | Ah, Lara Jean. Again, another “ordinary girl” who is easy to feel a kinship with. Are we sensing a theme with my characters? Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday May 7

4: Dawsey from the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society | This character… is wonderful. Really, I love all of the characters from this novel, but I’m featuring its leading man, for reasons! Amazon | Goodreads

5: Justin Keller from Brunch at Bittersweet Café (Carla Laureno) | LOVE this guy from book two in Carla’s ‘Saturday Night Supper Club’ novel. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday May 7

6: The O’Brien Siblings from Chesapeake Shores | These characters are hilarious! I love all five of the O’Brien siblings so much; flaws, breakdowns, silliness, giddiness, and all! Find the show on Amazon Video.

7: Harriet Manners from Geek Girl (Holly Smale) | Another geeky character (!!), and on my list trend lives. Amazon | Goodreads

This week's #TopTenTuesday is all about the character love. Or at least I've made it so. 7 Characters That Make an Impression | Top Ten Tuesday May 7 Click To Tweet

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE

*no video for Top Ten Tuesday; channel linked above

You’re up! Which characters remind you of you? Do you read a book with this in mind, or do you find you connect with a story more when you relate (or someone reminds you of yourself) to someone? How did you spin this topic? Comment below with all of your character-driven bookworm thoughts.

If you joined Top Ten Tuesday – or have a blog, please introduce yourself below. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces, too.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

• Greg May 6, 2019 at 10:55 pm

I loved the Netflix adaptation of To All The Boys and should really read the book. :)

• Rissi JC May 7, 2019 at 7:26 pm

If you liked the film, I think you’d really enjoy the book, Greg. Let me know what you think if you do. :) Thanks for visiting!

• Leah May 6, 2019 at 11:09 pm

Ahhh, Lara Jean is amazing!

• Rissi JC May 7, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Yes, yes she is! A favorite to this day. :) Thanks for visiting, Leah.

• Anne@Headfullofbooks May 6, 2019 at 11:32 pm

I really had a hard time this week because I love characters as they are written but they are obviously not as complex as a real person (me) Characters like me, a bit

• Rissi JC May 7, 2019 at 8:15 pm

This topic was really fun, but I don’t think I read books with this topic in mind. I still enjoyed it though. :) Thanks for visiting, Anne.

• Chrissi Reads May 6, 2019 at 11:39 pm

Ah yes! <3 Harriet Manners is such an awesome character.

• Rissi JC May 7, 2019 at 8:20 pm

YES, she is! One of my favorites. :) Thanks for the visit, Chrissi.

• Brooke Lorren May 7, 2019 at 1:57 am

I need to read To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before one of these days.

• Rissi JC May 7, 2019 at 8:20 pm

It’s SO cute, Brooke. :) Thanks for the visit.

• Melanie Parker May 7, 2019 at 5:19 am

Great list and a good reminder that I really need to watch the Lara Jean movie!

• Rissi JC May 7, 2019 at 8:20 pm

YES! It’s adorable, Melanie. Appreciate your visit. :)

• Jess @ Jessticulates May 7, 2019 at 6:50 am

Great list! I keep meaning to check The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society out.

Jess @ Jessticulates recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday | Hello, is it me I’m looking for?
    • Rissi JC May 7, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Both the film and novel are fabulous, Jess. If you read or see it, let me know what you think. :)

Appreciate your visit!

• Lydia May 7, 2019 at 7:14 am

I really liked your twist on this week’s theme. Good job on it.

My TTT.

• Rissi JC May 7, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Thanks, Lydia; appreciate you stopping by. :)

• Poinsettia May 7, 2019 at 8:53 am

Nice take on this week’s topic. These characters all sound so nice. I really should read To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi JC May 7, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Both are wonderful reads! Hope you enjoy if you read them. :) Thanks for stopping by.

• Beth Erin May 7, 2019 at 9:02 am

Nora is getting all the YESES!!! She’s also on my (very first) TTT list! By the way, I love the “click here to include a link to one of your blog posts”, if this is a plugin… do share!

• Rissi JC May 8, 2019 at 5:33 pm

YES!! I love Nora. She’s the best. :)

The ‘click here’ comment addin is a plugin called “comment love” and I think it’s with Nose Graze. Appreciate you stopping by, Beth Erin!!

• Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense May 7, 2019 at 11:06 am

I definitely relate the most to the ordinary characters and even the geeky ones. I haven’t read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but I really enjoyed the movie.

• Rissi JC May 13, 2019 at 10:48 pm

SAME. I feel like I am a geek in a fangirl/bookworm way (plus I’m always awkward in new situations) so it’s easy to say, “I relate…”

‘Guernsey’ is lovely, and VERY different than the film, but each are equally delightful. Let me know what you think if you read it – and thanks for the visit, Alicia. :)

• the StoryEnthusiast May 7, 2019 at 11:23 am

I LOVE that you included Abbey. She’s such an endearing character that I think many people can relate to. Of course, for book lovers it’s also easy to relate to people like Dawsey and Nora.

• Rissi JC May 13, 2019 at 10:48 pm

YES!! I adore Abbey. She’s one of my most favorite Hallmark characters in a looong time. :)

Dawsey is wonderful, and Nora so sweet. Thanks so much for teh visit, Brittaney!!

• Jess @ Bird, Books, and Coffee May 7, 2019 at 2:39 pm

I love your list! I WISH I was like Lara Jean. In some ways, I could see it. But mostly I was just not at all fashionable or savvy or clever like she is back in the day. I was just a mess who read tons of books and barely passed math class. rofl.

• Rissi JC May 13, 2019 at 10:52 pm

That’s ok! I don’t consider myself a fashionista (though I enjoy shopping), but DO love that she’s ordinary (in the best ways) and at her heart is a romantic. :)

Thanks for the visit, Jess; really appreciate you stopping by!

• Lauren @ Always Me May 7, 2019 at 4:23 pm

Yay! Harriet Manners. :)

Lauren @ Always Me

• Rissi JC May 13, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Right!? She’s always a favorite. :) Thanks so much for the visit, Lauren.

• The Artist Librarian May 8, 2019 at 6:24 am

It was a hard topic … The characters that first came to mind were ones that resonated with me strongly from my childhood. Characters like Meg Murry from A Wrinkle in Time. There’s a reason why so many YA and romance novels feature “ordinary, klutzy, imperfect, everygirl” types of protagonists … they’re easy to relate to. I don’t necessarily seek out characters like me, though sometimes an aspect of the character that I don’t often see will give me extra incentive to pick it up or add it to my TBR list (e.g. if they’re a librarian, artist, booklover, Asian American, home-schooled, etc.)

The Artist Librarian recently posted: Ten Characters That Remind Me of Myself - Top Tuesday
    • Rissi JC July 7, 2019 at 12:08 pm

(Apologies for the reply delay; I mistakenly overlooked this comment.)

To be honest, I don’t know how much ANY of these characters remind me of me (I feel like I’d need my family’s opinions on whether or not they do), but they’re still fun to hang out with, and I love that so many characters in novels are easy to relate to. :) I agree. Sometimes it’s easier to find an aspect of a character to relate to, or to feature if the characteristic is one we don’t see much. Thanks for stopping by!!

• Krystianna May 8, 2019 at 8:52 am

Great list! I had trouble with this week’s topic.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

• Kyra Morris May 9, 2019 at 8:00 am

Harriet Manners made my list too!

I really want to read To All the Boys I Loved Before. I’ll definitely be able to relate to Lara Jean!

My TTT post!

• Rissi JC July 7, 2019 at 11:57 am

(Apologies for the reply delay; I mistakenly overlooked this comment.)

Harriet is THE best. Love her quirky personality. Hope you enjoy ‘All the Boys.’ One of my favorites. Thanks for the visit, Kyra. :)

• Chanel M. May 16, 2019 at 4:07 pm

I love Lara Jean and definitely relate to her. And Abby from Bottled with Love – that movie is adorable!

• Rissi JC May 26, 2019 at 12:04 am

I agree!! “Bottled with Love” is darling; one of my recent favorites. :) Thanks for visiting, Chanel.