Top Ten Tuesday July 23

Armchair Adventures! 7 of the Settings I Love | Top Ten Tuesday

July 22, 2019 Rissi JC 26 Comments

Why, hello there fellow bookworms. It’s a new week which means more  book meme fun. Top Ten Tuesday July 23 lets us travel.

That Artsy Reader Girl | July 23: Settings I’d Like to See More Of (Or At All)

Top Ten Tuesday July 23

Who else here loves armchair adventures? I know I sure do! Maybe it’s because I never travel or perhaps it’s just the joy of visiting so many places through the power of a good fictional story. Whatever the correct answer is, I never tire of visiting fun places in books – even those inside the U.S. can be so fun.

Today instead of trying to wrack my brain for settings I’d like to see more of (which would probably require I research things via Goodreads, and try and consider whether or not the setting has been overused), I decided to tweak the topic. Just a little bit. I’m featuring books from my shelf with settings that I haven’t yet read but am excited to discover. (Even if I’ve already visited them in other novels.)

With that said, let’s grab our passport, and collect those stamps.

Top Ten Tuesday July 23

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: 1900s New York, New York, A Dangerous Legacy (Elizabeth Camden) | Once I was a big fan of Elizabeth’s historical novels. Her books were one of the few that really “work” for my reader brain as historical fiction. While I still except to have that same feeling, it’s been a long time since I read anything by her. Amazon | Goodreads

2: Alaska, Under the Northern Lights (S.C. Stephens) | A recent addition to my shelf, this one sounds interesting, plus it’s set in the wild beauty of Alaska. My all-time favorite novel set in Alaska is still Submerged by Dani Pettrey, but I’m always game for finding additional favorites. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday July 23

3: Denver, The Chaos of Standing Still (Jessica Brody) | Loved Jessica’s last novel, The Geography of Lost Things, so obviously, I really need to read this one, too! Amazon | Goodreads

BOOK REVIEW | Anna and the French Kiss: Girl Meets Boy in the City of Romance

6: London, I See London, I See France (Sarah Mlynowski) |This one is another new-to-shelf that sounds like a lot of fun! Amazon | Goodreads

4 & 5: Ireland, Love and Luck (Jenna Evans Welch) and Now a Major Motion Picture (Cori McCarthy) | Never been to Ireland – or anywhere really cool, but it looks beautiful. ‘Luck’ Amazon | Goodreads ● ‘Picture’ Amazon | Goodreads

7: Paris, In Paris with You (Clementine Beauvais) | Don’t know much about this one, but its cover art is adorable, and it’s set in Paris! That’s good enough for me. Amazon | Goodreads

8: Scotland, Prince Charming (Rachel Hawkins) | I had this book back when it was titled Royals, saw it talked up with its re-brand, and added it to my shelf again because it’s supposed to be all things cute… which I’m a fan of. Amazon | Goodreads

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE

*no video this week; channel linked above

Where do you like your fiction to travel? Do you feel like you “see” it enough in books? Comment down below with all of your thoughts! If you joined Top Ten Tuesday – or have a blog, please introduce yourself below. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces, too.

Grab your passport because we're about to take some 'Armchair Adventures!' 7 of the Settings I Love | Top Ten Tuesday July 23. Talking about adventures in books through my bookshelf. Where did you travel this week? #BookNerd Click To Tweet

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

Armchair Adventures! 7 of the Settings I Love | Top Ten Tuesday July 23. Talking about adventures in books through my bookshelf. © Rissi JC

• Greg July 22, 2019 at 11:19 pm

1900’s New York is such an amazing setting- I love stories that take place in that timeframe. The first half of the 20th century, really, without a lot of the technology we take for granted today, and yet so much was similar too.

Also Ireland- I’ve got Love & Luck on my TBR and I really want to read that soon.

• Rissi JC July 22, 2019 at 11:37 pm

I really want to read MORE stories in the time frame. It’s just such an interesting time in historical fiction. Or I find it to be. :) We do indeed take SO much for granted.

YAY for ‘Love and Luck.’ Hope we both enjoy; I’ve heard its darling. Thanks for the visit, Greg!

• Davida Chazan July 23, 2019 at 12:45 am

I like how you took this one a different way! Good for you!

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for the visit. :)

• Catherine July 23, 2019 at 2:04 am

1900’s New York is a good one. I liked those ‘Luxe’ books (Anna Godberson) which had the same sort of setting!

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:00 pm

Right?! I think so too. And I’ve been really curious about Anna’s books. Glad to know you liked them, Catherine. Thanks for the visit! :)

• Genesis @ Whispering Chapters July 23, 2019 at 5:23 am

I’m all for Ireland and Scotland! Ooh and NY in the 1900s!

Genesis @ Whispering Chapters recently posted: Poignant and Heart-Breaking: Piece of My Heart by Nicole Jacquelyn
    • Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:01 pm

*high five* Some great settings I’d say! :) Thanks for dropping in.

• Lydia July 23, 2019 at 6:12 am

I went on vacation to Alaska earlier this summer, and I’d definitely like to read more books set there. It’s a beautiful place.

My TTT.

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Sounds lovely! I went there once YEARS ago to see family, so I’ll confess I didn’t appreciate the scenery as much as I would now because it was just fun to see family. :) Hope you had a nice time, Lydia – and thanks for visiting.

• Poinsettia July 23, 2019 at 7:39 am

Great list! The early 1900s sounds like an interesting setting as do Ireland and Scotland! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:14 pm

I agree! Ireland and Scotland both look GORGEOUS in the movies. :) Thanks for the visit.

• Jess @ Jessticulates July 23, 2019 at 8:38 am

Great list! I need to read more books set in Ireland and Scotland.

Jess @ Jessticulates recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday | Settings I’d like to see more of
    • Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Same! One can never read “too many” Armchair adventures. :) Thanks for the visit, Jess.

• Beth Erin July 23, 2019 at 1:49 pm

Great list, Rissi! I am not a fan of mass transportation so stories take me further than I’ll ever willingly go in person!

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Good thing we have so many stories to enjoy and discover, right!? :) Thanks for visiting, Beth.

• Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse July 23, 2019 at 2:23 pm

I always find books set in Ireland fascinating. I need more contemporary romance novels set there.

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:29 pm

I haven’t really read many Irish books, but I love it as a setting, so I too need to read more. Pretty sure I have some on my shelf. :) Thanks for visiting, Deanna.

• Anne@HeadFullofBooks July 23, 2019 at 3:11 pm

I always tell myself to read more books set in London and then I don’t. Good list. https://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2019/07/ttt-book-settings.html

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Thanks, Anne; appreciate your visit.

• Brooke Lorren July 24, 2019 at 1:44 pm

I love traveling to different places with books! One thing I love is when you can tell the author is familiar with the setting. It’s one of the things I loved about the Berlin portions of Echoes. You could tell Ms. Reeds had been there.

I live in Colorado Springs right now so Denver is pretty easy to visit, but I’d love to read more about Scotland and Ireland.

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:35 pm

It is all the better when an author has done their research (traveled there), isn’t it!? Gotta love that added authenticity. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the series you shout out. I’ll have to look them up! Hope you get to read more about Scotland and Ireland, Brooke; I would love to as well. :) Thanks for visiting.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads July 24, 2019 at 1:58 pm

I love the idea of books set in Ireland! Added Now A Major Motion Picture to my TBR so thanks for the rec :)

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:35 pm

SAME! Hope we both enjoy ‘Motion Picture,’ Lindsey. :) Thanks for the visit.

• Lauren @ Always Me July 25, 2019 at 3:22 pm

Yes, I’d love to see more of these too!

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Cool. :) Thanks for the visit, Lauren.