See the Unique Redesigns I (Mostly) Love! | Top Ten Tuesday

August 5, 2019 rissiwri 30 Comments
top ten tuesday cover redesigns

See the Unique Redesigns I (Mostly) Love! | Top Ten Tuesday

August 5, 2019 Rissi JC 30 Comments

Hey there, happy readers! Finding Wonderland did take a week off from Top Ten Tuesday, but we’re back with a new topic submission from a fellow blogger. This week it’s all about a favorite subject with ‘Top Ten Tuesday Cover Redesigns.’

That Artsy Reader Girl | August 6: Cover Redesigns I Loved/Hated (submitted by Rachelle @ Shell’s Stories)

Of course, cover art and cover concepts is something I’m always up for discussing! It’s one of my favorite topics in the bookworm-ing world and I do consider myself quite the cover snob. The cover art is the “first impression” of any book, so while subjective, if it doesn’t capture our eye, it’s probably not going to tempt a would-be reader to read what the book is about. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but I’d guess most of us like our book covers to be as pretty as the story inside.

Today’s subject is really unique in that it asks us to feature cover redesigns. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, there are lots of these out there. Let’s take a look at ten of them.

Top Ten Tuesday Cover Redesigns: August 6

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1, 2, and 3: 9 Days and 9 Nights / 99 Days / Top Ten, all authored by Katie Cotugno | Like a few others on this list, I didn’t know that so many of Katie’s books have been re-covered. I did know How to Love (which I don’t feature) was, but I wasn’t aware so many of her others were. I’ll confess, I have conflicting feelings about 9 Days and 9 Nights and Top Ten. I really like the original Polaroid, clean white line vibes. But the redesigns are also fun with their colorful “sketched” appearance. Katie Catugno on Goodreads (Amazon links in titles.)

top ten tuesday cover redesigns

4: The Luxe by Anna Godbersen | Never did read these, but given the era they’re set in, they do intrigue me. Have you read any of Anna’s novels… and which cover is your favorite? I’m not sold on the new ones, but do appreciate how much more relevant they are to today’s trends. Amazon | Goodreads

5: Royals aka Prince Charming by Rachel Hawkins | This one gets new title treatment as well as cover art! Isn’t it cute? Amazon | Goodreads

6: A Sparkle of Silver by Liz Johnson | Though I do appreciate why this change came about (the original seemed too close to appearing as if it’s historical fiction), I must say, I’m still partial to it. It’s just so pretty! Amazon | Goodreads

7: Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart | Another I didn’t know had a new paperback design. Pretty sure I like it best… and now I’m curious: is this a recommended title? Amazon | Goodreads

8: Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn’t Have) by Sarah Mlynowski | Never read anything by Sarah, but this (BIG improvement) doodle-inspired cover change is making me curious! Amazon | Goodreads

9: Delirium by Lauren Oliver | A popular author I’ve never read anything by. Unless you count making it one-fourth (or was it half?) of Before I Fall. But I do like this restructure! It just works. Amazon | Goodreads

top ten tuesday cover redesigns

10: My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade | Arriving in stores this November, Becky’s debut novel is getting some new color. Makes me wish I’d re-read this one since it was this novel that made me fall in love again with the genre – and one of the first I reviewed from a publishing house, too! Ah, nostalgia! Amazon | Goodreads

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE

*no Top Ten Tuesday video this week; channel linked above

Do you have any favorite (or not-so-favorite!) cover re-design? What are your thoughts on the controversial bookworm topic? Tell me when you think it needs to be done, and why! If you joined Top Ten Tuesday – or have a blog, please introduce yourself below. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces, too.

Today we talk 'Top Ten Tuesday Cover Redesigns.' What are some of your favorite redesigned book covers? See the Unique Redesigns I (Mostly) Love! | #TopTenTuesday Click To Tweet

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

See the Unique Redesigns I (Mostly) Love! | Top Ten Tuesday. Discussing 'Top Ten Tuesday Cover Redesigns.' What are your favorite redesigned book covers?

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

• Melanie Parker August 5, 2019 at 11:02 pm

Really great choices. I didn’t really know about these ones!

• Greg August 5, 2019 at 11:11 pm

I’ll be honest, even though I’ve only read one Katie Cotugno book, I always think her covers are good. They just seem upbeat and fun! I do like the Delirium redesign too. I hadn’t seen the Lockhart one.

• Anne@HeadFullofBooks August 5, 2019 at 11:38 pm

I like the redesign of DELIRIUM. My cover redesign of classics

• Leah August 5, 2019 at 11:52 pm

The original Luxe covers are definitely better than the redesigns. You have to have the gowns on the covers!

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:09 pm

Right? They’re so pretty! But then, I’m a softie for a pretty cover art. :) Thanks for the visit, Leah.

• Brooke Lorren August 6, 2019 at 1:08 am

Good choices! I’m not familiar with all these books but I have to agree with you on them!

Brooke Lorren recently posted: Start Here
    • Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Thank you, Brooke. :) Appreciate your visit, as always.

• Jess @ Jessticulates August 6, 2019 at 3:54 am

Great list! I really like that particular redesign of Delirium.

Jess @ Jessticulates recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday | Cover to cover
    • Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Redesigns don’t make it easy for us bookworms, right? Makes us want the newbies, too! ;) Thanks for the visit, Jess.

• Genesis @ Whispering Chapters August 6, 2019 at 5:33 am

I definitely love Cotugno’s both covers! As for Mlynowski’s book, I much prefer the redesign! It’s so cute!

Genesis @ Whispering Chapters recently posted: Nostalgia & Summer Fun: Say You Still Love Me by K.A. Tucker
  • Poinsettia August 6, 2019 at 5:59 am

Nice list! I haven’t read any of these, but I think the redesigns look great on most of them. I think the only one where I definitely like the look of the original is The Luxe. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

• Poinsettia August 6, 2019 at 6:11 am

I think my link is bad in my comment. Here is one that should work Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Someone else mentions really preferring the original of “The Luxe” too! I can’t decide which I like better, but do love a good cover with a pretty dress. Thanks so much for the visit, and the right post link too. :)

• Lydia August 6, 2019 at 6:26 am

Yeah, that redesign for Delirium really did work nicely.

My TTT.

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:13 pm

Glad to know! Hopefully, it goes well with the story, too? :) Thanks for the visit, Lydia.

• Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense August 6, 2019 at 12:52 pm

I don’t hate that Delirium cover redesign either. I don’t think a lot of people are fans of cover models on covers anymore.

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:13 pm

I’m the odd one; I still like models. They can be really bad, but when done well, they’re some of my favorites. :) Thanks so much for the visit, Alicia.

• Jessica at Booked J August 6, 2019 at 10:48 pm

I have mixed feelings on The Luxe–I think I like the idea of the novels more than the actual novels themselves although I’ve admittedly only read a portion of the first one so I’m probably not of the best opinion! I think I’m going to give them another go in the future. That being said, I really liked both versions of those Katie Cotugno novel. I like the illustrated trend contemporaries are taken on as of lately, but I also loved the original Polaroid looks. Anyways, great picks! This weeks topic was interesting. I love seeing the changes styles go through, even when I don’t necessarily like the path they take, you know?

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:26 pm

Sounds like an honest option, Jessica, and I’m glad you shared! I know the feeling when a book just doesn’t grip a reader in the early pages. I’m trying (more) to quite reading if I feel this way about a novel, it’s just not worth it to me.

I DO like the illustrations, too, but like you, sometimes I also really like the model (or in this case, the polaroid) designs. They’re just so joyful and fun, ya’ know? :)

SAME! I’m always so interested in cover evolution. It’s fascinating. Thanks for visiting, Jessica.

• Patty August 8, 2019 at 7:15 pm

I think I might have to pick up a copy of My Stubborn Heart when it is re-released! I found a copy of the original at a used book sale quite a few years back and I have been a fan of Becky’s writing ever since.

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:42 pm

It’s a wonderful story, right? With its re-release, I really should give it another read! Thanks for the visit, Patty.

• Krystianna August 11, 2019 at 10:36 am

Great list! I think my favorite redesign is for the Shatter Me series.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Those seem to be SO popular, but I’ve never read them. :D Thanks so much for the visit, Krystianna.

• Lauren @ Always Me August 11, 2019 at 9:28 pm

I haven’t read The Luxe either, but I do prefer that new cover.

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 10:50 pm

Glad to know I’m not totally alone in my never-read-the-Luxe-books, Lauren. :) Thanks for the visit!

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads August 18, 2019 at 2:12 pm

I really like the Delirium cover redesign as well! And the original Royals cover didn’t make me want to read the book, but the new cover (and title) do for some reason :)

• Rissi JC August 19, 2019 at 11:00 pm

The new “Royals” re-brand is SO darn cute. Makes me want to read it yesterday. ;) Hopefully it’s fun. Thanks, as always, for visiting, Lindsey.