little women (2019) official trailer

Movie News! An Unexpected First Look at the Passionate New ‘Little Women’

August 13, 2019 10 Comments

Today, we have more ‘movie news’ in the form of a new Little Women (2019) official trailer. Or so Youtube informs us. The trailer, which clocks in at 2+ minutes shows us the adventures of Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy March as we know them, and maybe a little bit as we don’t. Greta Gerwig will direct this one, which is already praised for its stellar cast. Set to drop December 2019, here’s a little bit about the “official” plot.

little women (2019) official trailer

The story is described as follows:

‘Little Women’ is based on the Louisa May Alcott novel of the same name and tells the story of the four March sisters—Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy—as they grow from children into women. The novel is seen as a sort of autobiography about Alcott’s own life, growing up with three sisters, and is one of the classics that kids (especially girls) grow up reading. And for Gerwig, the novel is incredibly personal, in a similar way as ‘Lady Bird.’ – The Playlist

The film stars Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Emma Watson, Eliza Scanlen, Laura Dern, Timothée Chalamet, and Meryl Streep.

Movie News! All the Pretty New Little Women Photos

As I watch the trailer, I must confess, I’m not immediately sympathetic to this version of the story. While, I like the timeless story, I don’t love how this one appears to tell the story. It looks to be on the edge of the classic tale that has lasted throughout its many generations. I also must confess… I’m not loving the costuming. I’m not sure if it’s going to be the “fit” of it, or the styling… but something just doesn’t look polished and quite “right.” Needless to say, my first impression isn’t glowing.

A New Sandition Trailer! See the Latest Masterpiece Romance

In the end, am I still curious? Yes. I also think that the cast seems to be pretty strong which is definitely in the good column.

Let’s have a look at the trailer:

Movie News! An Unexpected First Look at the Passionate New 'Little Women.' Are you curious about thew new #LittleWomenMovie? Click To Tweet

Your turn! I’ve love to know what your impression is of this official trailer? Are you excited? Curious? Skeptical? Do you think the cast is perfect for their respective characters? Did you see anything that bothers you in this nearly 2-1/2 minute trailer? Comment all of your thoughts on the Little Women (2019) official trailer!

Movie News! An Unexpected First Look at the Passionate New 'Little Women.' Have you seen the Little Women (2019) official trailer? Come by and chat!

Photos: Sony Entertainment

• Catherine@basedonthebook August 13, 2019 at 3:50 PM

I think this has got the potential to be reeally good. Saiorse Ronan will be a great Jo I think – but they never get Amy quite right. Too early to tell with this one yet!

• Kirsty August 13, 2019 at 9:53 PM

I 100% concur with your thoughts on this trailer, and adaptation by extension, as well as the way you expressed them; there are a few things that bother me too, unfortunately. For one, how they seem set to portray Jo as some kind of unisex feminist, for two the fact James Norton looks like he’s wearing a truly horrible wig, and most importantly, for three that we don’t receive even a glimpse of Professor Bhaer!

The actress playing young Amy is also not doing it for me, though I have a good feeling about Florence Pugh. Laura Dern is a pleasant surprise as well, as is Emma Watson. All in all, I find myself to be cautiously curious.

• Rissi JC August 28, 2019 at 12:05 PM

I’m not sure I’ll love Emma as Meg, but I’m hopeful! Well said! I don’t like Jo’s portrayal either. But that’s what our modern cinema is going to do to these iconic characters. (I also saw there’s a new version of Emma coming which makes me curious, but I’m also “worried” it will get the modern, political treatment, too.)

I wanted to see Bhaer too, but kind of like the mystery surrounding his reveal. ;)

Like you, I’m hopeful this one will surprise in the best kind of way.

• Jessica at Booked J August 16, 2019 at 6:05 PM

I am excited! I try not to judge too severely based on trailers because they only show a fraction of things and some of these scenes may not even make the final cut in the end. But, I agree with some of the points you made, for sure. I’m nervously excited and maybe a little skeptical, but think that may be a good thing–it may blow my expectations out of the water. That being said, I’m thoroughly intrigued to see how it actually turns out (what differs from the novel and previous adaptations) and I do really love the cast.

• Rissi JC August 28, 2019 at 12:01 PM

So glad you’re excited, Jessica! Despite my reservations, I know I will enjoy this even if I don’t think it’s “the” adaptation of this classic story. (I still love the ’94 adaptation.) I’m not sure I love Emma Watson as Meg, but I’m hopeful, and from the looks of things, everyone else looks up to these iconic roles. Hope we both enjoy this one!! :)

• Heidi Robbins August 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM

I’m so, so excited!!! This looks like a great cast and I can’t wait to see who plays the professor.

• […] Movie News! An Unexpected First Look at the Passionate New ‘Little Women’ | While it’s true I’m not the most impressed by this first trailer, I’m still curious, and […]

• […] Movie News! An Unexpected First Look at the Passionate New ‘Little Women’ […]