book characters to be friends with

The Characters We Know to be Best Friends | Top Ten Tuesday

August 12, 2019 24 Comments

It’s Tuesday again, and on we march into a new week of content with, you guessed it, another Top Ten Tuesday. This topic is a suggestion from Michelle, and today we talk about the book characters to be friends with.

That Artsy Reader Girl | August 13: Book Characters I’d Love to Be Besties With (submitted by Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Blog)

book characters to be friends with

There are numerous book besties in fiction that we count as iconic. From Dianna Berry and Anne Shirley, to Austen characters, we remember a litany of them by their names alone. and when revisiting them, it’s like having tea with the best kind of friend. Today I’m sharing some of my “icon” favorites, and also sharing a few books I haven’t yet read them. These are simply the books that seem to put a focus point on stories with besties at their main protagonists. Something that can be difficult to find.

Two things about today’s list, the first being this isn’t really a list I’d be besties with so much as a list of people who are memorable best friends. (Not that I’d mind being friends with most of them should they be real; also we did a similar topic not too long ago in which I talk about favorite book besties.) Secondly, our list also spans book and cinematic stories because I’m a rebel like that.

Here we go, let’s do this!

Top Ten Tuesday August 13: Book Characters to Be Friends With

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: What to Say Next (Kit and David) by Julie Buxbaum | Read this one two years ago, and while it does have some romantic connotation, mostly this one is a strong friendship book that exceeded my expectations. Amazon | Goodreads

2: Elite Guardians Series by Lynette Eason | It feels as if I’ve already put these four girls on some sort of list like this before. But oh well, it’s cool to feature them again, right? ‘Guardians’ on Goodreads | Book one on Amazon

book characters to be friends with

3: The Hundred Acre Wood Gang (story by A.A. Milne) | This might be kind of an odd addition, but I say a Winnie the Pooh book on a friendship list. These characters forever bring me back to my childhood, so I simply couldn’t resist. #Adulting

4: Jessica Day and her roommates (from New Girl) | True this one does eventually have a friend-to-lover trope, but before that, I love the easy camaraderie between Jessica and the three men in her life. They’re hilarious, they’re supportive of one another, and somehow despite their many differences, they always find a way to get along. New Girl on Amazon Video.

5: Since You’ve been Gone by Morgan Matson | One I have not read, but I hear grand things about it, and at the heart, this one seems to be about a best friends duo. Amazon | Goodreads

6: Mr. Knightley and Emma Woodhouse (from Emma by Jane Austen) | Ok, so to be honest, I really wanted this list to stay away from friends to lovers trope. Yet, here I am, writing a list in which there are two female characters who fall for a friend. But I really adore the relationship between these two before they fall in love. This is true at least of their on-screen relationships. Emma (1996) on Amazon | Emma (2009) on Amazon | Goodreads

7: She’s the Worst by Lauren Spieller | Haven’t yet read this book or its author, and technically this one is about sisters. However it seems like an interesting kind of friendship-y book? Amazon | Goodreads

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE

*no Top Ten Tuesday video this week; channel linked above

Let’s talk! Who made your list of bookish besties? Do you have standout favorites or did you find it hard to create a list? What’s your favorite friend duo; tell me about the book character to be friends with? If you joined Top Ten Tuesday – or have a blog, please introduce yourself below. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces, too.

The Characters We Know to be Best Friends | Top Ten Tuesday August 13. Talking about book characters to be friends with! Who would you befriend? Click To Tweet

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

• Melanie Parker August 12, 2019 at 11:05 pm

Winnie the Pooh made my list too! Well, Eeyore did! I mean they are precious!

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 11:21 pm

Right!? How can we not include these kinds of characters! Thanks so much for the visit, Melanie. :)

• Greg August 12, 2019 at 11:18 pm

Good friends in books are the best. :) I love the Hundred Acre Wood gang. And New Girl was fun.

• Rissi JC August 12, 2019 at 11:21 pm

Yes, yes they are! Gotta’ love a good friend duo or group. Still haven’t finished “New Girl,” but what I saw was SUPER entertaining. :) Thanks so much for the visit, Greg.

• Brooke Lorren August 12, 2019 at 11:58 pm

I like your twist on this week’s topic! I haven’t read any of Lauren Spieler’s books yet either, but I probably will at some point.

Brooke Lorren recently posted: Crown of Coral and Pearl
    • Rissi JC August 13, 2019 at 9:41 am

Same. Here’s hoping we both enjoy. :) Thanks for visiting, Brooke.

• Jess @ Jessticulates August 13, 2019 at 4:25 am

Great list! I haven’t read Emma but I have seen adaptations and I agree that the friendship between Emma and Mr. Knightley is already lovely before the two of them become a romantic couple.

• Rissi JC August 13, 2019 at 9:42 am

Haven’t read “Emma” either, but as you say, I just love them as best friends first, and that’s where the real foundation for their relationship begins. :) Thanks for visiting, Jess!

• Lydia August 13, 2019 at 6:10 am

I love the fact that you included the Hundred Acre Woods crew. Great choice.

My TTT.

• Rissi JC August 13, 2019 at 9:43 am

Right? How could they be excluded? :D Thanks for the visit.

• Leelynn @ Sometimes Leelynn Reads August 13, 2019 at 8:51 am

I can’t wait to read She’s the Worst and I’m so glad to see that you included this one on your list! I also love the twist that you did for this week’s prompt.

Leelynn @ Sometimes Leelynn Reads recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday: Book Characters I’d Love to be Besties With
    • Rissi JC August 13, 2019 at 9:54 am

Hope we both like She’s the Worst, Leelynn! Did you read Lauren’s other novel? I was looking at it just yesterday and wondering it I’d enjoy reading it. :) Thanks so much for the visit.

• Jessica at Booked J August 13, 2019 at 2:30 pm

WHAT A FREAKING REBEL. In this house (er, community? blog?) we stan legendary rebels ONLY. I have to say that I’ve yet to read She’s the Worst (although I’m supposed to be getting an arc soon) too but I GET THE SAME VIBE. Also, I just lost my train of thought so bare with me if I sound incoherent (I am incoherent and running on limited sleep and endless coffees so!!!) BUT, okay, Emma is one of my favourites of all time. My favourite Jane Austen (that’s probably not true but for today’s purpose it is because I love Emma Woodhouse with my whole heart) ahh. I may be squealing over you including that!

• Rissi JC August 19, 2019 at 10:58 pm

Emma and Mr. Knightley = THE BEST! Love those two so much. I’ve never attempted the novel, but feel as if, someday I really should.

Let me know what you think of “She’s the Worst,” Jessica! It sounds fun, and emotional, too.

Thank YOU for visiting! :)

• Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense August 13, 2019 at 3:45 pm

I haven’t read Since You Been Gone yet either, but I’ve heard so many good things. One day we’ll both read it.

• Catherine August 14, 2019 at 5:00 am

I love Mr. Knightly and Emma’s friendship, and the New Girl lot. Good picks!

• Kyra Morris August 14, 2019 at 10:10 am

I LOVE Emma and Mr. Knightley!

My TTT post!

• Krystianna August 14, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Great list! I love New Girl and would totally be friends with that whole squad.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

• Leah August 15, 2019 at 9:22 pm

Oh, I would love to be friends with the Hundred Acre Woods gang! Eeyore is my favorite. <3