10 Happy Rainy Day Reads | Top Ten Tuesday

April 15, 2019 34 Comments

Welcome to Finding Wonderland fellow bloggers and friends. Hope your week has started well. Coming to you today with another edition of Top Ten Tuesday April 16.

That Artsy Reader Girl | April 16: Rainy Day Reads (submitted by Shayna @ Clockwork Bibliotheca)

As we are in the month that brings all the showers (for those flowers), this topic is perfectly appropriate. Plus, doesn’t it sound fun? I’m the kind of girl who doesn’t like day after day of rain showers, and thankfully I don’t live in an area that tends to be like this. But on occasion, a good rainy day is nice.

It’s the sort of day that’s perfect for curling up on the couch and getting lost in a good book (even though I find I cannot do this – I have to get up and work, or do something productive). This doesn’t mean I still don’t appreciate the time I do set aside to read and fall in love with new characters. We get to share ideal rainy day reads today, and for me, this means repeats of old list favorites and maybe (hopefully?) a new pick or two.

This list is comprised more of authors than individual books, but that’s still cool right?

Top Ten Tuesday April 16

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: [Anything] American Girl | Yes, this option is a little bit odd. However, there’s something about this topic that makes me feel nostalgic, and what’s more nostalgic than re-reading some of your favorite childhood reads? What did you love as a kid?

2: No Judgement by Meg Cabot | Is it weird that a: I’m using a book that’s not available yet, and b: therefore isn’t one I’ve read?! Blaming the cover love (how perfect is it for today’s ask!??) on this one. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday April 16

3: A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro | This one is another I haven’t read, but doesn’t it seem like a good rainy day read?! Amazon | Goodreads

4: The Trouble with Tulip by Mindy Starns Clark | It’s been a minute since I read these. But I still own them and thinking back, they seem like books I’d really like to re-read. If I remember right, they have a kind of Nancy Drew or Miss Marple affect. Amazon | Goodreads

5: Pretty in Punxsutawney | Read this one earlier this year. It’s darling. Enough said. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday April 16
BOOK REVIEW | Pretty in Punxsutawney – A Romance & Comedy That Repeats!

6: Drew Farthering Series by Julianna Deering | Again another Agatha Christie feeling applies to these. Also, they’re just so much fun. Amazon | Goodreads

7: [Anything by] Katherine Reay | There’s not really any author who does armchair adventures better. Katherine has a knack of balancing complex characters (which can mean bittersweet topics) with lighthearted conclusions, and I love this.

Top Ten Tuesday April 16

8: The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks | Why does a Nicholas Sparks novel seem like a perfect rainy day pick? Not sure, but I saw it and it just seems to fit. (Maybe this has something to do with the kisses in the rain scene the films usually feature?) Amazon | GoodreadsOn Amazon Video (Film) | DVD

9: The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith | If you want something a little more bittersweet that’s romantic, but also driven by individual character stories, this one might be ideal. Amazon | Goodreads

10: My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade | Another nostalgic read. Read this one years ago, and with its recent repackaged (upcoming) release, I have a case of the re-read feels. Amazon | Goodreads

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE

*no Top Ten Tuesday video this week; channel linked above

Talking (mostly) cheerful reads in another #bookish meme: 10 Happy Rainy Day Reads | Top Ten Tuesday April 16! aka reads to enjoy when gloomy weather hits. Click To Tweet

Your turn! Do you have any go-to rainy day reads? Do you like rainy days? Comment down below with your thoughts. I look forward to conversing with everyone.

If you joined Top Ten Tuesday – or have a blog, please introduce yourself below. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces, too.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

• Greg April 16, 2019 at 12:19 am

I liked the first Deering book, it was a hoot (the only one I’ve read). The Geography of You and Me also looks good! I love a good rainy day read. :)

• Melanie Parker April 16, 2019 at 1:11 am

I love your list. I think A Study in Charlotte would be a prefect one for me on a rainy day!

• Brooke Lorren April 16, 2019 at 2:44 am

American Girl books are great! Especially the longer ones. Not all books have to be 800 pages.

I keep seeing Becky Wade books that look interesting. Someday I’ll have to read one.

Brooke Lorren recently posted: When Dimple Met Rishi – Sparks Flew!
  • Chrissi Reads April 16, 2019 at 3:09 am

Nicholas Sparks is always a good choice for a rainy day read! Excellent list, Rissi!

• Jess @ Jessticulates April 16, 2019 at 5:04 am

Great list! I haven’t read any Meg Cabot, but that definitely looks like the perfect rainy day read!

Jess @ Jessticulates recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday | Books to sweep you away on a rainy day
  • Genesis @ Whispering Chapters April 16, 2019 at 5:07 am

For me, I think I’d pick a Crime Fiction novel. I have no idea why but that’s how I associate a rainy day. Living in TN, we get rain almost every day. I actually celebrate when the sun comes out 😂 All my life I’ve been used to the sun since in Puerto Rico, it’s always sunny. But when I moved a year ago, I discovered what it was like for it to rain every single day of the week with barely a hint of sun 😩 it gets really depressing.

Genesis @ Whispering Chapters recently posted: "My Reviews Aren’t Good Enough"
  • Barb (boxermommyreads) April 16, 2019 at 7:59 am

I think the Meg Cabot books sounds like a perfect vacation read for me. When you have a family, it’s hard to be on the couch all day reading – although I have tried :)

• Rissi JC April 18, 2019 at 12:47 pm

I’m not an-all-day-on-the-couch person. Sure I love reading or binging a favorite TV show, but I also *have* to get up and be productive, even if that’s blog work or actually cleaning, doing laundry, yard work, and on the list could go. I try to break my day up between lazy (i.e., computer work) and getting up to do something that requires moving around. Thanks for the visit, Barb; also, I think Meg’s looks fun, too! :)

• Poinsettia April 16, 2019 at 8:38 am

Nice list! I loved the American Girl books when I was younger! Molly and Felicity were my favorites. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday

• Lydia April 16, 2019 at 9:05 am

The Longest Ride sure does sound interesting.

My post.

Lydia recently posted: An Exclusive Interview with Spring
  • Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense April 16, 2019 at 9:57 am

I don’t think I’ve ever read The Geography of You and Me, but I do like the sound of a contemporary book driven by character arcs. Thanks for the rec!

• Rissi JC April 18, 2019 at 12:57 pm

I’d really like to read MORE of Jennifer’s books, because those I’ve read (this is just my second I think) I really liked. They’re different in that they don’t always have a “concrete” end, but so far, I don’t seem to mind this. Hope you enjoy, Alicia – and thanks for the visit. :)

• Anne@Headfullofbooks April 16, 2019 at 11:12 am

Dear Mr. Knightley is on my TBR I really want to read it soon. I’m off the board with unusual narrators this week. Check it out.

• Linda Smith April 16, 2019 at 6:24 pm

I think anything by Meg Cabot would work, so posting one before it’s published is totally not weird to me. :)

• Chanel Monroe April 17, 2019 at 1:18 pm

I love rainy days! And if rainy days inspired me to reread old favorites , I’d read The Convenient Groom by Denise Hunter, The Last Summer by Brandy Bruce and Saved the Date by Jenny B. Jones (or her new cozy mystery series I haven’t had a chance to read yet).

Dear Mr. Knightley sounds like another great book to add to my TBR. I haven’t read this one yet, but I always hear good things about it. Must-read soon!

• Rissi JC April 18, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Aww, I’ve heard lots of good things about Denise’s novel; saw the movie, but I’ve as yet to read the book. Someday I need to remedy this. :) Also, Save the Date is one of my forever favorites! (Haven’t read Jenny’s new series either.) YES! DMK is a fantastic read; let me know what you think if you do read it, Chanel – and thanks for the visit!

• Tracy @ Cornerfolds April 17, 2019 at 2:43 pm

I haven’t read any of these, but I definitely spot a few that I’d love to get lost in! A Study in Charlotte is one I’ve been interested in for awhile!

Tracy @ Cornerfolds recently posted: Audiobook Review: Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian
  • Aj @ Read All The Things! April 17, 2019 at 5:02 pm

I love that you picked happy books. I kind of went the other way with my list.

• Lauren @ Always Me April 19, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Yes, The Drew Farthering series would be perfect for the rainy weather. :)

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.

• The Bookish Hooker April 22, 2019 at 8:18 pm

Loved A Study in Charlotte, and I think it would make a great rainy day read. Good choices!