Revisit the WWII Time Period – Waiting on Wednesday: Edition Thirty-Eight

July 14, 2020 Rissi JC 12 Comments

Welcome back, everyone – and hello! As always, I’m glad to have you here. In today’s ‘Waiting on Wednesday: Edition Thirty-Eight’ we take a trip to “yesteryear” with a WWII historical fiction novel. (AKA my most favorite of historical fiction.)

LIST | In My Netflix Queue: New Comedy, Romance and More!

Waiting on Wednesday: Edition Thirty-Eight

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

Penned by Canadian author Rachel McMillan, this novel takes us back to WWII and follows a couple whose marriage is in need of saving, and the secrets that come between them. Sounds interesting, right?

I really enjoy Rachel’s Herringford and Watts series which is a kind of spin on the Holmes & Watson partnership, and who doesn’t enjoy that brand of mystery?

THE LONDON RESTORATION

Author: Rachel McMillan | Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Genre: Fiction; Historical | Publication Date: August 2020

In post-World War II London, determined to save their marriage and the city they love, two people divided by World War II’s secrets rebuild their lives, their love, and their world.

London, Fall 1945. Architectural historian Diana Somerville’s experience as a codebreaker at Bletchley Park and her knowledge of London’s churches intersect in MI6’s pursuit of a Russian agent named Eternity. Diana wants nothing more than to begin again with her husband Brent after their separation during the war, but her signing of the Official Secrets Act keeps him at a distance.

Brent Somerville, professor of theology at King’s College, hopes aiding his wife with her church consultations will help him better understand why she disappeared when he needed her most. But he must find a way to reconcile his traumatic experiences as a stretcher bearer on the European front with her obvious lies about her wartime activities and whereabouts.  – Goodreads

Amazon | Goodreads

Do you read historical fiction often? If so, which are your favorites??

Before you go

Comment down below with your thoughts (have you read any of Rachel’s novels?? What WWII fiction do you like best?), Waiting on / Can’t Wait Wednesday blog links or anything else bookish. I’d look forward to chatting all things bookish with you.

I’ll be glad to visit your blogs, too; it might take me a week to circle around. Still, I look forward to the visit.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland.

Revisit the WWII Time Period – Waiting on Wednesday: Edition Thirty-Eight. Featuring Rachel McMillan's new novel! #WOW #CWW #BloggersTribe #BookNerd Click To Tweet

It’s Wednesday which means there’s another fun meme that bloggers enjoy taking part in. Today’s feature is all about the books we’re “Waiting On” with Can’t Wait Wednesday; a meme Finding Wonderland occasionally takes part in. Organized by the lovely Tressa of Wishful Endings, here’s another edition of Can’t Wait Wednesday. Can’t-Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted here to spotlight and talk about the books we’re excited about that we have yet to read. Generally they’re books that have yet to be released as well. It’s based on Waiting on Wednesday, hosted by the fabulous Jill at Breaking the Spine. (Find out more here.)

PS: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

PSS: if you’d like to have Finding Wonderland’s new content sent to your inbox; sign up for our once (or twice) monthly round up of new content. (In order to sign up, an automated email will ask you to confirm a subscription via email.) If you’d like to have this newsletter sent to your inbox, you can enter your email address here.

• Ronyell (a.k.a Rabbitearsblog) July 15, 2020 at 6:06 am

Oooh! This looks like an interesting read! Great pick!

• Rissi JC July 23, 2020 at 7:28 pm

Thanks! I think so too. :)

• Angela July 15, 2020 at 6:16 am

I love WWII historical fiction, and the focus on picking up the pieces after the war sounds amazing!

• Rissi JC July 23, 2020 at 7:28 pm

This one does sound amazing; I’m so intrigued by its premise and am hoping it’ll be as good as it sounds. :)

• Lisa Mandina (Lisa Loves Literature) July 15, 2020 at 10:14 am

I do like historical fiction, but I mostly read YA historical fiction these days. Hope you get this soon! My Wednesday post is in the link below!

Lisa Mandina (Lisa Loves Literature) recently posted: Lisa’s Looking Forward To #70 – July 21st, 2020
    • Rissi JC July 23, 2020 at 7:29 pm

Ooo! Do you have any good YA recommendations? I don’t read much of either but feel like I read and see less in the YA market. Thanks so much for the visit, Lisa.

• Paula Shreckhise July 15, 2020 at 7:03 pm

I’ve been eyeing this one!
    My favorite historical authors are Roseanna White, Sarah Sundin and Kristi Ann Hunter among others.

• Rissi JC July 23, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Sarah Sundin is ALWAYS a favorite of mine. Her books are so good. :)

• Barb @ Booker T's Farm July 16, 2020 at 5:25 pm

I don’t really read a lot of books associated with World War II because it was such a traumatic experience for my Grandfather but this one has a lovely cover and I hope you love it!

• Rissi JC July 23, 2020 at 7:33 pm

I’m surprised I read as much fiction in this era as I do because it is such a traumatic time in history, but I find some authors (like Sarah Sundin for example) do a good job with the balance, and I also find the whole code-breaking thing fascinating. :)