Top Ten Tuesday | Watercolor Palettes of Color (or Watercolor Book Designs)

May 8, 2018 52 Comments

Top Ten Tuesday | Watercolor Palettes of Color (or
Watercolor Book Designs)

Welcome, happy readers. Today’s Tuesday (or nearly so) which
means it’s time for that popular bookworm meme – which you may have seen around
the blogosphere, Top Ten Tuesday. Here’s our May eighth topic…
That Artsy Reader Girl May
Books With My Favorite Color
On the Cover (or In the Title)

(This post does contain affiliate links, which means – at no extra cost
to you, I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link.
Read the
disclosure page for details.)
So… artistic is the subject. A topic that seems to
be something I’d really enjoy. Don’t mistake the setup of this ramble, I did.
But it seems like the ones I’m overconfident about (aka am sure will be easy)
are the ones that don’t go quite as smoothly.

As odd as this may sound, I don’t feel like I have
a favorite color. I may have as a kid, but if so, the color slips my mind.
Instead, nowadays my color preferences are influenced by trends and popular
color palettes. Whether this be in my choice of a nail color (currently
sporting a beautiful shade called “Mint Candy Apple”) or the shades in
my blog design (currently influenced by Stampin’ Up!), I’m all about shifting
color loyalties depending on what color “pops” as the “it” shade.

This explanation is all in an attempt to explain
the “why” of how today’s list is put together. Today, I decided to spin the
topic away from one color (in design or title) and feature one of my favorite
design elements: watercolor! Now if only I could actually watercolor.

Let’s take a look at the pretty covers on today’s
list – nearly all of which I have not read. (Tell me below all the
reasons I should read these.)

1: The Problem with Forever by Jennifer L.
Armentrout | This is one I’ve overtalked about – i.e. that I should read
it. It’s time I stop talking and crack open its waiting pages. Amazon |
Goodreads

2: Cold Summer by Gwen Cole | Another one I’ve not
read… but am super interested in. It sits on my shelf, looking so pretty, plus
the synopsis (WWII, time travel) sounds incredible – and all the more intriguing
in light of my recent obsession: Timeless. Amazon | Goodreads
3 & 4: Mending Christmas and Mending Fences by
Lorin Grace | These two books were recent(ish) Amazon purchases – pre Christmas
I think. Both were added to my shelf thanks to a search for Christmas stories.
(One is a seasonal read, the other isn’t.) After reading about them, I decided
they sounded like fun reads. Amazon | Goodreads

Mending Christmas: Amazon | Goodreads  Mending Fences: Amazon | Goodreads

5: Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton Lodge | Here we
arrive to a book I actually have read (only one of three on today’s
list). Guys, I adored this novel every bit as much as I love its pretty cover
design. Amazon | Goodreads

6: The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord | Why I haven’t read another book by Emery is beyond me. You know how much I gushed over The Start of Me and You, so reading more by this author is kind of a must. Amazon | Goodreads

7: When We Collided by Emery Lord | See above explanation. Also, how stunning are both these (7&8) covers!? Amazon | Goodreads

8: Princess in the Opal Mask by Jenny Lundquist | The
second book on this list I have read. It’s not the same kind of “watercolor”
look as some of these other books, but it still has a place on this list, and
if memory serves, it’s an entertaining read, too. Amazon | Goodreads

9: The Girl Who Could See by Kara Swanson | The page count may
be short, but this cover is big and bold – in all the best ways. It’s a
gorgeous heart-eye emoji kind of aesthetic.
Amazon | Goodreads

10: Love, Life and the List by Kasie West | Yes
Kasie West novels show up
a lot on my Top Ten Tuesday lists. But to be
honest? I don’t see this changing ANYTIME soon. They’re just so darn cute.
Love,
Life and the List
is equally adorable (and is the third book on this feature
I have read.)
Amazon | Goodreads

*video publishes Tuesday afternoon; channel
linked above
 ____________

So, colors… tell me about some of your favorite colors? Or
trends in cover designs. What’s your favorite book design aesthetic? Let’s get
our book talk on down in the comments.

If you joined today’s meme, make sure and leave your Top Ten
Tuesday links below so I can visit – or simply introduce your blog. I’d be glad
to visit your bookish spaces.

Finding Wonderland.

ps; I finally finished replying to last week’s Top Ten Tuesday comments… apologies for the delay. BUT I do read them all, and am grateful you stop by to talk all the bookish things with me – thank you. Hopefully this go-round will not suffer the fate of last week.

• Nicole's Novel Reads May 8, 2018 at 4:07 am

I love When We Collided! Such a good book and the US and UK covers are very artsy!

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 4:10 am

Yes they are!! I haven't read When We Collided yet, but am certainly eager too. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Nicole.

• Prototype_SR04 May 8, 2018 at 4:19 am

Although it's technically more geometric, I think it has a similar feel to these, so you might like "The Sun is Also a Star" by Nicola Yoon.

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 4:44 am

The Sun is Also a Star is high on my must-read list AND yes, I do like its cover too!! So much pretty. :) Thanks for the recommendation and for stopping by.

• Anonymous May 8, 2018 at 4:30 am

I love artsy covers! You've picked some great ones.

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 4:45 am

Me too, Chrissi – there's usually so much "cool" going on in artsy designs. :)

Glad to have you visit, as always.

• Rachel May 8, 2018 at 6:02 am

Ooooooh LOVE this! So creative!

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Thank you, Rachel. It was sure fun to piece together (only after the fact, I realized I should have used color photos since this is about COLORS!).

Thanks for visiting. :)

• Greg May 8, 2018 at 8:13 am

Ooh I like how you did this one. I like the cover of Cold Summer too, I have since I saw it the first time. Something about the muted tones, I don't know, but it just works. Jane of Austin and The Names They Gave Us are great too!

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 7:43 pm

…and Cold Summer is one I've been meaning to read since seeing that pretty cover, Greg. Hopefully I'll accomplish this soon!!

Thanks so much for visiting, as always. :)

• Ronyell (a.k.a. Rabbitearsblog) May 8, 2018 at 8:20 am

Wow! What a creative list! Loved all the watercolors on the books!

Here’s my TTT!

Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 7:48 pm

Thanks, Ronyell. It was fun to put together. :)

Glad you visited.

• Jess @ Jessticulates May 8, 2018 at 11:21 am

Great spin on this week's topic! There are some lovely covers on this list. =)

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Thanks, Jess – and I'd agree. Love all the pretty covers!! :)

Glad you visited.

• Anonymous May 8, 2018 at 11:29 am

I like Cold Summer. I've never read the book but the cover is wonderful! Great list Rissi!

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 8:14 pm

I haven't read the book either, but agree. That cover is gorgeous. :)

Glad you visited, as always.

• Joann Downie May 8, 2018 at 11:30 am

These all look like terrific reads,I would read the time travel one for to count towards a Challenge!!

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 2:30 am

I'm hopeful those I haven't read are indeed terrific, Joann. :) Thanks for visiting!

• La La May 8, 2018 at 11:44 am

I still need to read The Names They Gave Us. Nice twist on this week's theme. ☺

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 8:15 pm

So do I! I loved Emery's 'Start of Me and You,' so reading more by her is a MUST!! :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Barb May 8, 2018 at 12:55 pm

I never realized how many books used this theme. Great choice!

• Rissi May 8, 2018 at 8:16 pm

There are quite a few – and I'm sure there are plenty I missed too. :/

Thanks for visiting, Barb. :)

• IloveHeartlandX May 8, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Oh Cold Summer has a gorgeous cover! Can't wait to read it :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/top-ten-tuesday-158/

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 2:37 am

I agree! It is a stunner. :)

Glad you visited – as always.

• Crazy Lady May 8, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Such lovely covers! And I love colors, everything is right at one time or another.

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 2:38 am

Me too! Colors are always a pro. Especially in book designs.

Thank you for visiting! :)

• louise ☆ May 8, 2018 at 3:32 pm

I'm not usually a fan of watercolour designs, but these covers use them beautifully! Great list :)

louise // exploring by starlight

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 2:39 am

Nothing wrong with that, Louise. Glad you spy some that look pretty. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Flipping Through the Pages May 8, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Nice list! I haven't read any of these yet but a few are definitely on my TBR. I wish you posted these covers in color because they are so pretty :) But I can understand that you can't because of your theme.

My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/05/ten-books-with-blue-in-the-title-and-having-blue-cover/

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 2:40 am

Right!? I really should have used colors this week! ;)

Thanks so much for visiting.

• Brittaney May 8, 2018 at 4:03 pm

I like your take on this week's prompt. Kasie West and Emery Lord have recently become a few of my favorite YA authors. The cover for The Girl Who Could see is stunning!

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 2:42 am

YAY!! I love Kasie's books, and though I've only read one of Emery's, it's still a favorite. Hopefully I'll read more of hers soon. Which books do you like by these authors?

PS: I SO need to play catch up on your blog, Brittaney – and I will! Soon. :)

Thanks, as always, for visiting.

• Taylor @ taylortalksbooks May 8, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Ahh so many gorgeous covers! I especially love the cover of Love, Life, and the List since it has a lot of beautiful colors on it :)

Here's my TTT!

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 2:51 am

It sure does, Taylor!! I have featured Love, Life and the List a lot, but I HAD to again this week because it fits so well. :)

Thanks for visiting.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads May 8, 2018 at 5:56 pm

I love your take on the topic! I don't really have a favorite color either, but like you I do love watercolors so, so much! And yet, I haven't read any of these books yet… but I do love looking at them :)

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 2:54 am

My favorites are often influenced by trends or popular colors. So… this seemed the best route! I get to feature colors and a artistic technique that usually blends multiple colors. :)

Thanks so much for visiting, Lindsey.

• Jordan @ForeverLostinLiterature May 8, 2018 at 6:24 pm

I really love your take on this topic, it's such a great idea! I've never seen Princess in the Opal Mask before, but it's stunning!

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 2:57 am

Thanks! 'Princess' is really sweet. Hope if or when you read it, you enjoy, Jordan. :)

Appreciate you visiting.

• Michelle May 8, 2018 at 9:46 pm

WATERCOLOR!!! Such a good idea for this list!! I love the covers of Emery Lord's books. They're always so pretty. And Cold Summer is beautiful looking too!!

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 3:00 am

Thanks, Michelle! Once I figured out the theme, it was fun. I agree. 'Summer' looks beautiful. :)

…thanks for visiting.

• Courtney Clark May 9, 2018 at 3:07 am

This is the COOLEST spin on today's topic! Yay for you! The only one I've read is Jane of Austin, though I have Kara Swanson's on my TBR.

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 3:02 am

Thanks, Courtney; it was sure fun once I figured out which direction to take.

Hope you enjoy Kara's! Glad you visited. :)

• AJ Sterkel May 10, 2018 at 11:32 pm

I love your spin on the topic! I like watercolor covers, too. I’ve read Cold Summer and mostly liked it. I hope you enjoy it.

Aj @ Read All The Things!

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 3:03 am

Yay glad Cold Summer was a pretty good read. It's been on my shelf for far too long… so someday soon(ish) I must read it. :)

Glad you visited!

• Kay Wisteria @HammockofBooks May 11, 2018 at 12:21 am

I love the cover for The Names They Gave Us! And all of these books just look gorgeous <3

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 3:04 am

Isn't it pretty!? And it's one of my most highly anticipated TBR reads! :)

Thanks for visiting, Kay.

• Tracy May 11, 2018 at 1:34 am

I love watercolor too! These covers are gorgeous!

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 3:07 am

*high five* Me too! Glad you stopped by, Tracy. :)

• Amanda Holmes May 11, 2018 at 3:27 am

The Problem with Forever and Cold Summer will have to go on my TBR list! They are just lovely!

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 3:09 am

Aren't they? Now here's hoping both have equally lovely stories on the inside. :)

…thanks for visiting, Amanda.

• Lauren Stoolfire May 12, 2018 at 2:36 am

Yes! I loved the cover for Cold Summer and the story was good too. :)

• Rissi May 12, 2018 at 3:09 am

YAY!! So glad to know the story inside is also good. Thanks, Lauren. :)