Top Ten Tuesday November 27

Top Ten Tuesday | Bosom Friends You’ll Want to Meet!

November 26, 2018 23 Comments

Here we go again! As we near the end of NaNo month (which I’m not participating in, but still…), we come to you with another Top Ten Tuesday. This one is a very unique topic.

That Artsy Reader Girl | Top Ten Tuesday November 27: Platonic Relationships In Books (friendships, parent/child, siblings, family, etc.)

Doesn’t this seem a fun topic? As I sit here furiously (in a good way) typing, just reading about this topic leads me to believe this is going to result in some underrated books. But in the back of my mind, I’m also wondering if I’ll find it hard to make a list like this.

I’m usually that girl that’s all about the romance. Not in the sense that I have unrealistic expectations, but rather because I adore a good romance novel. (And there’s nothing wrong with being swept away by fiction for a few hours.) Nonetheless, I can also appreciate a really strong and good relationship that isn’t romantic.

Below I talk about some of the relationships and friendships I’ve most enjoyed as befits today’s ask.

Let’s discover these amazing friendships.

Top Ten Tuesday November 27 | Bosom Friends You’ll Want to Meet!

(sorted from a-z, by author)

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: Catherine Morland and Isabella Thorpe (from Northanger Abby by Jane Austen) | I’m not sure why I put this pair on the list, but for some reason I have this memory of liking these two in the ITV adaptation of this story. Amazon  | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday November 27

Top Ten Tuesday November 27

2: Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brandes | I haven’t read these books, but do adore the films. I have to imagine the close bonds and good friendships are intact inside the story’s pages. Amazon | Goodreads

3: Emma and Harriet (from Emma Approved) | I adore these two in movies, but most recently I “met” them in a (contemporary) web series Emma Approved. Amazon

4: Kit Kittredge and Ruthie (from the Kit Kittredge books) | No doubt we all have our favorite American Girl best friend duo. I don’t know that I can say Kit and Ruthie are favorites, but they are one of them. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday November 27

Top Ten Tuesday November 27

5: Rachel and Goh Peik Lin (from Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan) | These two were so fun together! I’m not sure how their friendship plays out in the novel (I sadly marked it DNF for now), but I like the friendship in the film. Also, Astrid and Rachel are amazing besties, too! I think they helped each other more than anyone credits this friendship. Amazon | Goodreads

6: Bachelor Girl’s Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan | Jem and Merinda are not only amazing room mates, but also best friends. It’s a kind of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson friendship and series, only with females as the leads. Amazon | Goodreads

7: Anne Shirley and Diana Berry (from Anne of Green Gables by L.M Montgomery) | Who doesn’t like these two best friends? They’re so good together and for each other. Although, Anne does take advantage of Dianna’s goodness a time or two. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday | Gather Around the Happy Bookworm Table

Top Ten Tuesday November 27

Top Ten Tuesday November 278: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows | What more can be said about this novel? About these friendships? These characters are so fun to know and to read about! Amazon | Goodreads

9: The Manners Family (from the Geek Girl series by Holly Smale) | This is one of the more unique family’s I’ve met in YA fiction. I love that Harriet comes to appreciate her step-mum more with each bit of “teenage drama” she finds herself in. Her friends are pretty great, too. Amazon | Goodreads

10: Black Widow and Hawkeye from Marvel’s Black Widow (aka Avengers) by Margaret Stohl | I have my doubts that Hawkeye makes an appearance in this novel, but in the MCU, theirs is one of my favorite friendships. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday November 27

Top Ten Tuesday November 27

11: Lizzie Bennet and Charlotte from The Lizzie Bennet Diaries by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick | I adore Lizzie and Charlotte in the web series; and though I never did finish the novelization (because of time only), they are as fun on page as on screen. Amazon | Goodreads

12: Sofi and Shilo Snow (from the Shilo Snow duology by Mary Weber) | What list is complete without a solid brother and sister relationship? Amazon | Goodreads

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE*

*video publishes Tuesday afternoon; channel linked above

Top Ten Tuesday November 27 | Bosom Friends You'll Want to Meet! #Bookworm #BookNerd Click To Tweet

What characters do you talk about this week? Do you prefer these types of relationships or are you a fan of the romantic stories?  Share all the thoughts down below.

Remember, leave your Top Ten Tuesday lists below so I can visit; and introduce yourself if you’re a new reader or blogger! Welcome.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

• Greg November 26, 2018 at 11:45 PM

Ooh Black Widow and Hawkeye- yay! I’m all for them haha. And I loved the Kit Kittredge movie- so fun- even if I haven’t read the books. Some good friendships in that one. :)

• Rissi November 27, 2018 at 12:17 AM

I read SO many of the American Girl books as a kid. They were among my favorite reads (and sometimes, in a nostalgic sense, they still are).

Thanks so much for visiting, Greg. :)

• Chrissi Reads November 26, 2018 at 11:50 PM

The Manners family! Such a great choice. Fabulous list, Rissi!

• Rissi November 27, 2018 at 12:18 AM

One of my fictional forever favorites. :)

Thanks for visiting, Chrissi.

• Niamh @ nuggets of niamh November 27, 2018 at 1:28 AM

Ahh I adored The Lizzie Bennet Diaries! I had no idea it had been turned into a novel though?! I’ll have to check it out! :)

• Brooke Lorren November 27, 2018 at 2:23 AM

I always hope for a good romantic storyline but friendships are important. As I’m working on my edits of my NaNoWriMo novel I need to strengthen those subplots. This week is showing me that.

• Melanie November 27, 2018 at 5:32 AM

Great list. I’m still kicking myself for not adding Diana and Anne. I just love how pure their friendship is.

• Kathy November 27, 2018 at 6:09 AM

Great list! :)

• Astilbe November 27, 2018 at 6:21 AM

Yes, Anne and Diane were wonderful friends to each other. Good choice there.

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

• Barb (boxermommyreads) November 27, 2018 at 9:31 AM

I think Black Widow and Hawkeye is a great choice. And the Sisters of. the Traveling Pants. I love them! Nice list

• Catherine@basedonthebook November 27, 2018 at 1:17 PM

The Guernsey literary etc. is such a good choice! I love that group. And Catherine and Isabella too- although Isabella is a nightmare she’s fun to read about. I love the crazy Rich Asians friendships as well, and I’d add Rachel’s relationship with her mum, I thought their scenes together were lovely :)

• Rissi JC December 4, 2018 at 12:19 AM

Right!? They’re some of my favorite (newer) discoveries. I read the book this year in anticipation of the film and totally understand why everyone loved ‘Guernsey.’

You’re right! I too really liked Rachel and her mother’s relationship. Excellent spotlight. :)

Thanks so much for the visit, Catherine.

• Lauren @ Always Me November 27, 2018 at 6:31 PM

Kit used to be my favorite American Girl doll. ;)

Lauren @ Always Me

• Aj @ Read All The Things! November 27, 2018 at 7:18 PM

Someday I’ll read Anne of Green Gables. I somehow got through childhood without reading that one.

• […] friends. (Not that I’d mind being friends with most of them should they be real; also we did a similar topic not too long ago in which I talk about favorite book besties.) Secondly, our list also spans book and […]