emma (2020) trailer

A Clever ‘Emma’ To Return! See the New Photos and Trailer

November 21, 2019 9 Comments

It’s a truth universally acknowledged… that I will never grow weary of Jane Austen adaptations. So here’s the thing, I know, they say you should never say the word “never,” but what can I say? I’m 100% an Austen fan. (Just not so much so that I’ve been inspired to read the novels – this still makes me a fan, right?) This is why it comes as quite a surprise, albeit a good one, when very recently I learned a new adaptation of Emma is heading our way. Based on the novel of the same name, though you’ve all likely seen it, I couldn’t resist sharing the new Emma (2020) trailer (and photos!) with you today.

LIST | A Simple Christmas Gift Guide (and #BlackFriday Fun)

Before we get to the fun part, here’s a little synopsis from the production company:

Jane Austen’s beloved comedy about finding your equal and earning your happy ending, is reimagined in this delicious new film adaptation of EMMA. Handsome, clever, and rich, Emma Woodhouse is a restless queen bee without rivals in her sleepy little town. In this glittering satire of social class and the pain of growing up, Emma must adventure through misguided matches and romantic missteps to find the love that has been there all along. – Focus Features

The release date is for February 21 2020 and comes from Focus Features, the company behind the 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice. The film stars Anya Taylor-Joy, Johnny Flynn, Miranda Hart (!!!), and Bill Nighy, along with a host of additional new talent.

emma (2020) trailer

As I sit here writing this, I have not yet watched the trailer. But my “first impressions,” similar to those I have about the new Little Women adaptation is that this might be a little too different for its era that I like, but I’m going in with an open mind, plus I do love what this company did with Pride & Prejudice. This isn’t from the same director though, so that may make a difference too.

Either way, can we just talk about the fact that Miranda Hart (!!!) is going to play Miss Bates? Like, how perfect is this casting?? Known for a variety of roles, I know her from Call the Midwife as nurse Chummy. Either way, I’m ready to see her in this role. Oh, and I’m also really curious to see Flynn as Knightley (maybe my favorite Austen hero); earlier this year I quite liked him in Amazon’s Vanity Fair.

Now, without further procrastinating, here we go… *clicks play on trailer*

OK, oh my goodness, I have to admit, this trailer looks hilarious! I love the approach the filmmakers seem to take. The only question mark I do have is it looks like this one, like all of the more modern produced adaptations, will have a more contemporary approach by throwing in some elements in an attempt to make the story “sexy.” Sometimes it works fine, and other times, this feels terribly misplaced to what Austen writes. Either way, it looks like a fun time.

What do you think? Do you plan to see this one in theaters? Are you excited about this new Emma (2020) trailer or does it feel kind of “meh” to you? Which is your favorite version of this story? Comment all of your thoughts below.

EMMA (2020) TRAILER
A Clever ‘Emma’ To Return! See the New Photos and Trailer! Talking about the new trailer and photos for Focus Features new adaptation. #Emma #PeriodDrama #MustSee #Movies Click To Tweet
A Clever ‘Emma’ To Return! See the New Photos and Trailer! Talking about the new trailer and photos for Focus Features new adaptation. Text © Rissi JC

Photos: Focus Features

• Catherine@basedonthebook November 21, 2019 at 6:31 pm

I think it looks fun – a bit love and friendship-ish? I like the Mr. Elton casting aswell as the others you mentioned. Although we’ve had loads of good Emmas – wish it was Mansfield Park instead!

• Rissi JC November 24, 2019 at 9:38 pm

I agree. It does have that kind of vibe. I’m hoping it’s BETTER though since I didn’t love that Austen. ;) I’d love a new Mansfield Park (where do we petition this!), *and* I also still want that “definitive” version of Persuasion. Do you have a favorite ‘Mansfield’? I have an affection for the 90s version, even though I know it’s quite different than the book. Thanks for the visit, Catherine. :)

• Brittaney B November 21, 2019 at 8:34 pm

I doubt anything can touch my devotion to the BBC version starring Romola Garai, but this does look like it could be fun.

• Rissi JC November 24, 2019 at 10:01 pm

Right!? It does look fun, and that’s what I’m counting on. :)

• Megan Oneail November 22, 2019 at 9:33 am

I watched this yesterday and am totally enamored!! I, too, will never get sick of Austen adaptations (although Colin Firth will *always* be my Darcy). I feel like Austen is trailing me lately, as I just saw a HS production of Sense & Sensibility on a total whim, bought a new copy of the book after seeing it at B&N, and now this trailer drops out of nowhere! Must be time to do some rereads ;)

• Rissi JC November 24, 2019 at 10:03 pm

YAY!! *high five* Glad to know someone else is excited about new Austen. :) I’m excited about this one and hope its as fun as this “first impression” is. Most of all, hopefully we’ll both enjoy. :)

• […] Movie News: A Clever ‘Emma’ To Return! See the New Photos and Trailer […]

• Chanel M. March 12, 2020 at 5:21 pm

It looks quirky, stylish and entertaining. I’ve never watched any versions of Emma, but this one looks cute. I’ll try to watch the BBC version first, maybe.