reading habit changes

The Good & Bad (and Helpful!) Changes in my Reading Habits

November 18, 2019 39 Comments

Hello again, happy readers. Welcome to another little listicle, this time it centers around reading habit changes, something we all probably go through.

I have very few changes, at least in terms of what I could think of (likely in part because I put these together last minute – someday I will get my blog life organized…!). But with some difficulty, I still came up with five (I know) things that work (sort of) for this list. Or at least I make them work for the list because, well, sometimes you just have to make something fits in the neat box.

Without further ado, here we go with this week’s super short list.

The Good & Bad – and Helpful!? -[Reading Habit Changes]

reading habit changes

1: Branching out in Genre

I’m not sure when it was, but for a long while now, I started, and continue to read some secular fiction which I cannot remember ever doing until I picked up a book called The Selection. Since then I’ve discovered some really fun (Geek Girl, The Runaway Princess, anything by Kasie West) to the not-so-good (sorry, fans, but I didn’t care for One Day in December) titles. What genre have you “branched out” to read?

2: Keeping to a Routine

Silly as this may sound, I find I get in the most reading when I have a kind of reading “routine” or habit. Reading should always be fun, so this is certainly something that won’t appeal to or work for everyone (because it’s a kind of “structure”), but for my habits, this is what seems to help keep my reading pace intact.

3: Knowing What I Like

Over the years, one thing I’ve found to be most instrumental to my reading habits (in a good way), and maybe THE most important is to know what I like. When I read from the genres, publishers or authors who I best like, I find I’m at my happiest reader self.

4: Length of Reading Time

Once upon a time, I feel like I could sit for long periods of time and just read. I can’t do this anymore. Much as I love to read, I have my little slot of reading time in the morning (but give me more than an hour and a half, and that’s pushing it) plus some nights before bed, and that’s good. Beyond this, I don’t focus, and I just begin to feel like I need to do something.

5: Reading at the Pace of a Turtle

I feel like I read so much slower as an adult. Or maybe it’s because, along with the reader, books tend to “grow up” (the page length). Where once I read a boatload of American Girl stories, now I read full-length novels…!! Because of this, I’m wondering if it’s more my perception of what a book used to be over actual speed.

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE

*no Top Ten Tuesday video this week; channel linked above

That Artsy Reader GirlNovember 19: Changes In My Reading Life (Maybe you like different genres or topics, maybe you read faster than you used to, maybe you only like standalones now) *Linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl.

Have you experienced any reading habit changes? If so, tell me how or why. I’d love to chat with you about all the changes or genre preferences, and all the reading “jazz”! Comment down below with all the bookish thoughts. If you have a blog or joined in the Top Ten Tuesday meme, leave your links below. It may take me an entire week, but I’d love to come by and visit your bookish spaces.

The Good & Bad (and Helpful!) Changes in my Reading Habits. How have YOURS changed? #BookLove #BookNerd Click To Tweet
The Good & Bad (and Helpful!) Changes in my Reading Habits. Talking about reading habit changes. How has your reading changed?

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

• Leah November 18, 2019 at 11:16 pm

I’ve definitely reconnected to adult fiction again. I didn’t realize how much I missed it until I started reaching for it again a few years ago.

Great post, Rissi!

• Emily @ Stuck in the Stacks November 18, 2019 at 11:23 pm

I am with you! I always do at least some research before picking up a book to make sure it seems at least likely that I would enjoy it! What’s the point otherwise?! We also have started getting more into romance this year- do funny how many people I’ve seen say that!

• Rissi JC November 24, 2019 at 10:08 pm

*high five* I think it’s so important to “know” what you’re going to like. Or at least to trend in that direction. There’s too many books and too little time! Gotta’ love a good romance novel. :) Thanks for the visit, Emily.

• Greg November 18, 2019 at 11:39 pm

Oh I can relate to almost all of these, especially branching out in genres- I read so much more broadly now, and I’m so glad. :)

• Rissi JC November 24, 2019 at 10:15 pm

YES! I still feel like my “circle” is pretty small, but it’s MORE than it was, and yet I still feel like I know what I like vs don’t. It’s a great feeling. Thanks for the visit, Greg. :)

• Dedra @ A Book Wanderer November 19, 2019 at 1:17 am

Reading what I like is one point I’m trying to stick to more. I’ve done better this year, but I hope to do even better next year. I have too many books to force myself to finish a book I’m not enjoying.

Great post! Here’s my off-topic TTT

• Rissi JC November 24, 2019 at 10:16 pm

It’s so much nicer; and well said. There’s too many books, and we’re too short on time to enjoy them all. Best to find the ones we’re sure (or at least as sure as we can be) we’ll enjoy. :) Thanks for the visit, Dedra.

• Jess @ Jessticulates November 19, 2019 at 4:20 am

Great list! I find having a reading routine really helpful as well, just because as much as I love reading I can easily end up just watching YouTube videos or Netflix if I don’t set time aside for reading, which is why I love being able to read on my commute.

Jess @ Jessticulates recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday | Changes in my reading life
    • Rissi JC November 24, 2019 at 10:18 pm

Oh, I do this too. ;) I went through a period when I’d watch Netflix (or something on Amazon, etc.) ALL THE TIME. Finally, I made a rule that I had to limit the nights I do this, and it’s been helpful. Now instead of 5 or 6 nights, I have three, and the rest of the week, I read. Thanks for the visit, Jess.

• Amber @ Books of Amber November 19, 2019 at 7:17 am

I read for three hours straight for the first time in aaaages last weekend and it was the best feeling. I hope that ability is coming back to me!

Amber @ Books of Amber recently posted: 7 Changes In My Reading Life
    • Rissi JC November 24, 2019 at 10:19 pm

How fun! Glad you found some great reading time, and best of all, that you enjoyed it, Amber. :) Appreciate your visit.

• Sumedha November 19, 2019 at 7:29 am

I’m with you on reading time. I used to finish books in a single sitting, and read in every spare minute. Nowadays, my head is filled with all the things I need to do and also multiple hobbies that come with blogging takes up time. I miss the old days haha.
    My TTT: https://thewordyhabitat.wordpress.com/2019/11/19/10-changes-in-my-reading-life/

• Rissi JC November 24, 2019 at 10:42 pm

Right? Adulting is fun sometimes, but then other-times, those to-do lists get us a bit frazzled. ;) Thanks for the visit!!

• Nikki @TheNightisDarkandFullofBooks November 19, 2019 at 7:58 am

I can relate to a lot of the things you’ve mentioned. Some of the genres I’ve branched out to are fantasy, non-fiction and graphic novels/manga. Before starting my blog I used to only read the occasional thriller. Keeping to a routine has worked better than I thought! Recently I actually set more of a goal to read at least two things each week and it has been working out, which is great. Similarly, I’ve also discovered most of the things I like and don’t like in books (which is actually the topic of my TTT this week) and it has been great! No more reading things just because they’re popular. I do still read at the turtle pace too, but I’ve just always been that way.

Nikki @TheNightisDarkandFullofBooks recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday #18 || Things I’ve learned I Love and Hate in Books
    • Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 12:32 pm

So fun to know I’m not the only one who’s discovered some new genres. :) Much as I love TV shows or films based on graphic novels, I don’t read them. Someday I might give them a chance though since I like that many are short. YES! It’s so much better when we read what we know and love best. Sure some of those will probably be popular and that’s ok. But the important thing is knowing our preference and the reading is that much better – even if it is a turtle pace (and I RELATE!). :D Thanks for the visit, Nikki.

• Poinsettia November 19, 2019 at 8:23 am

Great list! I’ve been branching out in other genres as well since I started reviewing with Long and Short Reviews. Visiting Top Ten Tuesday posts has also exposed me to a lot of new to me books and authors. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

• Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 12:39 pm

True! I could have put this (the visiting other’s blogs, which introduces me to new books/authors) in a “changes” list, but alas, I wasn’t organized enough. ;) Thanks so much for the visit!!

• Marie November 19, 2019 at 8:34 am

The genre I’ve branched back to since I started Blogging is Middle-grade, other than the first three books of Harry Potter (the latter half of the series is closer to YA) the last time I read any Middle-grade was when I was the target age. I didn’t really like Percy Jackson though, I read 4 of the 5 books before I realized that I was forcing myself to read a series that I wasn’t really enjoying. Same with the Iron Trial by Holly Black/Cassie Clare, It was just okay I had some issue with it.

My TTT: Marie @ Pages to Explore

• Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Haven’t read an MG novel in, well, years! I’m not sure what American Girl novels would be considered, but once upon a time, I read those ALL THE TIME! :D I’m a big believer in not reading something you’re not enjoying. (At least when it comes to reading by choice.) There’s too many other books we would enjoy to take time to read those we aren’t. Thanks so much for the visit, Marie!!

• Marie November 25, 2019 at 12:57 pm

I think American Girls is Middle-Grade, I read the HECK out of those too as a kid. and RL Stine Fear Street novels.

• Rissi JC November 26, 2019 at 11:43 am

They were what my childhood was all about! I loved them, and in fact, haven’t had the heart to get rid of my collection. :)

• Lydia November 19, 2019 at 8:36 am

I’m reading less/more slowly now, too. Oh, to go back when you could sit and read all day, eh? :)

My TTT.

• Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 12:48 pm

All about that adulting life nowadays, right!? ;) Thanks for the visit, Lydia.

• Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense November 19, 2019 at 9:52 am

I struggle with reading for long periods of time as well. I always feel like I need to get as much done as possible during these “free time” periods and it’s hard to justify only reading as getting stuff done. I’m constantly thinking about blogging for one thing. I will have to work on this.

• Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Right? I have such a long mental to-do list that it distracts me from the book, and then I don’t feel like I’m being fair, especially if I’ve agreed to read it!! (Blogging is a HUGE thing occupying my mind, especially these days when I’m planning lots of seasonal content.) Here’s hoping we both find some balance in 2020. :) Thanks for the visit, Alicia.

• Dini @ dinipandareads November 19, 2019 at 9:58 am

Great list, Rissi :) I also have branched out of my comfort genres and explored more that I never thought I’d willingly read (like horror)! There’ve been so many changes to my reading life since I joined the book community and I’m here for it all!

My TTT post

• Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Wonderful! I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed the changes in your reading life, Dini. That’s the best kind of change. :)

• Brooke Lorren November 19, 2019 at 12:56 pm

I’ve been able to find a lot of books I like too. I have a really high star-rating on Goodreads, and that’s partly, I think, because I tend to know what I’ll find appealing before I start reading it. I’ve turned down ARC opportunities because they don’t sound like they’re up my alley, but who wants someone reading their book when they’re not sure if they’ll like it?

• Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 1:14 pm

I should have mentioned turning down review opportunities in this list. I used to *never* (or rarely) do this when I first began, but now, I do it a lot. It’s been really helpful, and is all about that quest to “know what I like.” Well said. I would guess an author wouldn’t want a reader reading their novel when it’s not likely to get much good (said about it) in a review. :) Thanks for the visit, Brooke.

• Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse November 19, 2019 at 5:18 pm

I love that you’ve been branching out in genre. That’s definitely something I’ve done over the years as well.

• Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 1:16 pm

It’s been fun, Denna. :) Thanks for the visit.

• Angela November 19, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Since I started blogging, I’ve branched out a lot in terms of genre, and now I’ll try almost anything at least once!

• Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 1:23 pm

I have topics/genres I won’t read, but I think that’s okay. Hopefully, finding my reader bliss is continuing to head in the right direction. :D Appreciate your visit, Angela.

• Haley @ stuckinthestacks.com November 19, 2019 at 7:23 pm

These are great (and definitely don’t seem last minute). I complete relate to all of these and I have especially tried to branch out in genres too. What are some new genres you discovered that you meber expected to like?

• Rissi JC November 25, 2019 at 1:25 pm

I never used to read anything secular, so I think in a “bigger picture” overview, just the fact that I have read so many in the industry that I DO enjoy is surprising. :) How about you? Have you found any you love? Appreciate the visit, Haley.

• […] | Brooke | Ali | Dedra | Kayla | Rebecca | Audrey | Lori | Amber | Leah | Rissi | […]

• Lauren @ Always Me November 23, 2019 at 3:00 pm

I’ve definitely branched out too – definitely a good thing. :)

• Jessica at Booked J November 24, 2019 at 11:52 am

I am glad to see you mentioned knowing what you like. At the end of the day, reading is only a part of us if we are reading for ourselves! And I love seeing people come to that fact because we should be reading what makes us happy.