Fangirl Confessions | The OTP Reunions we Long For and Swoon Over

February 13, 2018

Fangirl Confessions | The OTP Reunions we Long For and Swoon Over

There are so many definitions when it comes to the word,
“romantic.”

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I’ll receive a percentage of the sale. Read the disclosure page for details.)
Its purpose is multi dimension and it certainly can (and
does) suggest a great many moments, emotions and possibilities. Plus, it’s both
an adjective and noun.
Its definition reads as follows:
ro·man·tic
/rōˈman(t)ik/
adjective
adjective: romantic; adjective: Romantic
1. conducive to or characterized by the expression of
love.  2. of, characterized by, or
suggestive of an idealized view of reality. 3.relating to or denoting
the artistic and literary movement of Romanticism.
noun: romantic; plural noun: romantics
1. a person with romantic beliefs or attitudes.
noun: Romantic; plural noun: Romantics
Sometimes I use it by its adjective use, but other times, it
works well to describe someone’s outlook on life. For the purpose of today’s
post, we’re using it in its characterization that’s used as an “expression of
love.” In celebration of Valentine’s Day, I wanted to take a look at a few of
my favorite “reunion” moments from film or TV. Most of which, let’s be honest,
happen in period dramas.
There’s something about old-fashioned period romances that
truly understand the nuances of
romanticism. The ups and downs, the declarations and heartbreak. In short, the
sheer beauty of a love story is
forever and always best represented in period dramas.
Despite their superiority, there is one (lone!!) scene I
love from a TV show, so naturally, they have to be considered. Because of this,
there is a vast difference that spans genres and styles. Today we look at (a
mere) seven such moments from cinema (big and small screen) and discover these
swoon-worthy moments.
(Warning, there are potential spoilers below.)
1: Elinor Dashwood and Edward, Sense & Sensibility (2008) | Their reunion scene in the new ITV miniseries is beautiful. But then since I am SO not a
fan of the scene in the 90s adaptation, it could be I find anything a vast improvement. That said, I still love this moment. You can buy Sense
and Sensibility
digitally on Amazon Video or purchase on DVD
2: Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, Pride and Prejudice
(2005) | Through many will wonder at seeing this film adaptation on the list,
I’m not sure in admitting, it’s this version that has stolen my heart. It’s
breathtaking, beautiful and as close to cinematic “love story” perfection as
I’ve seen. You can buy Pride and Prejudice digitally on
Amazon Video or purchase on DVD

If your feelings are still
what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have
not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your
feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and
soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from
this day on.” – Mr. Darcy

3: Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales | After the disappointing end to their story in ‘At World’s End,’ fans were
long awaiting a reunion between, really, the only “ship” in this Disney
franchise. We were rewards in the final (aka fleeting) moments of ‘Dead Men Tell No Tales.’ Though for me, I’ll
admit, it wasn’t exactly what I hoped it’d
be.You can purchase or rent ‘Dead Men Tell No Tales’ on Amazon Video or buy it on Blu-ray or DVD.
4: Lizzy and Col. Darcy, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies | Though quiet, I adore this “Reunion” scene between these two. In fact, I even gush over it in a “Romantic Moment” feature. Because, why not? You can rent or buy Pride and Prejudice and Zombies digitally on Amazon Video or purchase on DVD
5: Luke and Lorelai, Gilmore Girls | Simple but effective.
Following a fight (all set in motion by Lorelai’s family), Luke appears on her
doorstep and without a word, kisses her. For these two, it was all that is
needed.
6: Margaret Hale and John Thornton, North and South (2004) |
Though it’s been many (many) years now since I first watched this elegant
costume drama, it still feels as fresh today as it did then. It’s a beautiful
love story that’s perfect amidst its bittersweet imperfections. You can purchase
North and South on DVD

7: Natasha Rostov and Pierre, War and Peace (2016) | Never in
a million years did I think I’d like this story – even in cinematic format.
Little did I know how very much I would adore both of the recent adaptations.
Of course, I have a fondness for the most recent because it stars the supreme
talents of Lily James (Downton Abbey)
and (!!!) James Norton (Grantchester). You can rent or buy War and Peace digitally on Amazon Video or
purchase on DVD
Other favorites include Mabel and Lord Goring (An Ideal Husband, aff link); Ethne and Harry (The Four Feathers, aff link); and Anne and Captain Wentworth (Persuasion 2007, aff link), just to name a few.
That’s it for today’s Valentine’s Day post. Tell me about
your favorite reunion or romance scenes. Do you like any that I’ve picked? Tell
me which are among your most memorable. I’d love to chat about your favorite
scenes.
Finding Wonderland

• Brittaney

February 13, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Yes, yes, yes to Margaret Hale and John Thornton in North and South. That scene at the trains station…swoon. Also, I adore Mabel and Lord Goring in Ideal Husband. They are both so witty and charming.

1. Rissi

February 24, 2018 at 12:44 am

RIGHT!? That scene NEVER (ever) gets old. I adore that moment – so perfect for those two.

Yes re: Mabel and Goring. Those two?! Ideal, indeed. :)

• Faith

February 14, 2018 at 5:32 am

Beautiful list! Love all the couples you chose. Definitely love the scene in Pirates movie. Though I did want a bit more too ;)

1. Rissi

February 24, 2018 at 12:45 am

…right? I wanted a little MORE with Will and Elizabeth too. Those two were "the" ship of this franchise, so the simple scene felt a little of a letdown, but at the same time, it was simply nice to see them together again. :)

• Sofia da Costa

February 15, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Definitely agree with Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, and of course oh god Lorelai and Luke!! That scene in POTC was the only one I genuinely enjoyed in the film, but it wasn't what I hoped, either. The movie disappointed me as a whole, honestly :(

I really need to watch Sense and Sensibility, and North and South (Armitage!!)

1. Rissi

February 24, 2018 at 12:47 am

Ah, I'm so sorry 'Pirates' disappointed. I thought it was really good, but then, perhaps I was just so excited to see more of Depp's crazy (and somehow likable) Jack Sparrow. :)

North & South is beautiful, Sofia!! Let me know what you think if you decide to give it a chance.

• Net – “It’s a Wonderful Movie”

February 17, 2018 at 1:03 am

Oh, you had me as soon as I saw the image of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy! I adore those two, plus Emma and Mr. Knightley and Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe. Those romances will always stand the test of time!

Thank you, Rissi, for this wonderful post in honor of Valentine's Day! You have chosen such lovely films for your list.

Blessings, Net

1. Rissi

February 24, 2018 at 12:49 am

ME TOO, Net. Me too… Lizzie and Darcy = *forever swoons*

Why I didn't included Emma and Mr. Knightley (who is, most of the time, my favorite Austen hero) or Anne and Gilbert is beyond me. But hopefully they know I still ship them. :)

Thank you for coming by to read this list and sharing your thoughts. Always lovely to chat with you. :)

• Lauren Stoolfire

March 2, 2018 at 1:54 am

I wish we got to see a little more of Will and Elizabeth in Dead Men Tell No Tales, but I liked what we got! :)

I was surprised by how much I liked that adaptation of War and Peace too. :)

1. Rissi

March 24, 2018 at 4:53 pm

(Apologies for the reply delay, Lauren.)

ME TOO!! I so wanted just a little bit more between these love birds. I've shipped them from the start, so… :) Still, it was a sweet moment.

I though this War & Peace adaptation was beautiful. The costumes, the acting, just everything. Have you seen the other "more recent" version? I think it was filmed in Russian before they dubbed it in English. Surprisingly, it's not as distracting as I expected it to be.

• Olivia

March 15, 2018 at 10:29 am

I am watching the BBC adaptation, and reading War & Peace at the moment. I fell in love with the Hepburn adaptation as a 10 year old, loved loved loved Andrej and Natasha, didn't understand Pierre and Natasha at all…asked my parents to buy me the book and read it when I was 11 years old and decided I need to re-read as an adult because there's no way I got all of that book at that age! Any other adaptation you recommend? (Also the BBC adaptation is brilliant, BUT… Andrej is played by the same actor as the antagonist in Happy Valley and wow is he creepy there!)
    Also, have you seen the 1995 Pride and Prejudice adaptation? That one stole my heart. So much that I at first could not get on board with the 2005 film. I'm a huge Keira Knightley fan, but I just kept thinking: wrong, wrong wrong! Took me a second and a third re-watch to really appreciate the film. Plus Matthew was a good Mr. Darcy. Once I got over him not being Colin Firth.
    Just watched North & South last month for the first time. Will have to read the book! And I really enjoyed Pride and Prejudice & Zombies.

1. Rissi

March 24, 2018 at 4:59 pm

(Apologies for the reply delay, Olivia.)

Is the BBC adaptation this one (above) or an earlier (70s) version? Did you enjoy the adaptation of War and Peace? I've not seen the Audrey Hepburn version, but I do adore this A&E (2016) version. It's a stunner. I've also seen the 2007 version of the story which is dubbed in English.

I rooted for Andrei because I felt he deeply came to love Natasha (in this 2016 version – don't remember the 2007 as well). But I didn't think she loved him in that grown up, "real" way. I loved the friendship (in this mini series) between Natasha and Pierre, so I was prepared to love them as well. Prior to seeing 2016's version, I didn't realize how it all played out (never read the book) so my first exposure to the story was in the 2007 movie. Needless to say, that ending was a shock, but I was prepared this one. ;)

I have seen the 95 Pride and Prejudice miniseries. In fact, it was how I first fell for the story. But each time I see the 05 adaptation, I fall more and more in love with it. :) Glad you enjoy it more now.

North and South is beautiful and P+P+Z is so much fun!!

Glad you stopped by to share your thoughts, Olivia. :)