Top Ten Tuesday March 12

10 Amazing Books that Stand Alone | Top Ten Tuesday

March 11, 2019 Rissi JC 33 Comments

Welcome back, readers and friends. It’s Tuesday again, and so we begin our blogging week with Top Ten Tuesday March 12 edition.

That Artsy Reader Girl | March 12: Standalone Books That Need a Sequel

Top Ten Tuesday March 12

To be honest, initially I wasn’t going to join this Top Ten meme because, honestly, I cannot think of many (if any) standalones I want a sequel to. Don’t misunderstand, I’ve read lots of amazing standalones, but no matter how much I’d like to hang out with the characters in them, most of whom I love, I often feel like the book is “complete” in its journey. Both for the reader, and the characters.

Instead of following the direct prompt, I decided to feature a few of the standalone books on my shelf that I adore – just the way they are.

Top Ten Tuesday March 12

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: The Lady and the Lionheart by Joanne Bischof | This beautiful story is one of THE best historical novels I’ve ever read. While I’d never say “no” to catching up with Charlie and Ella, their story is perfect as is. Amazon | Goodreads

2: The Geography of Lost Things by Jessica Brody | Didn’t know what to expect from this one. What I discovered is a delightful road trip story that I’ve since purchased a finished copy of. Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday March 12

3: The Ringmaster’s Wife by Kristy Cambron | A time slip novel that’s dazzling all without the agony of waiting on a sequel. Amazon | Goodreads

4: Pretty in Punxsutawney by Laurie Boyle Crompton | This one is sweet. Sure it’d be fun to see how the leading couple is faring, perhaps in college, but they’re cute as they are, and that’s enough. Amazon | Goodreads

5: Gilt Hollow by Lori Langdon | An atmospheric YA mystery that’s perfect autumn reading! Amazon | Goodreads

Discussion: A Few of the Reasons Why I Support Inspirational Fiction

6: Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton Lodge | Sisters, tea, swoony guys, and Jane Austen. What more do we need? Amazon | Goodreads

7: The End of the World by Amy Matayo | Emotional, but so worth the deep end, this story is bittersweet, but also gives us (and these characters!) the end we need. Amazon | Goodreads

8: Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay | A charming novel inspired by, but not a re-telling, Jane Austen. Amazon | Goodreads

9: The Secret Life of Sarah Hollenbeck by Bethany Turner | LOVELOVELOVE this rom-com. It’s unique, and sassy, and… well, did I mention I like it? Amazon | Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday March 12

10: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows | Yes this title was on my list last week. No, I’m not embarrassed by this. *wink* I think it’s safe to say, we’d all love to again meet with this book club, but also, there’s a part of me that’s happy to leave them where they are, which his happy. Amazon | Goodreads

Additional authors who write great standalones in general are: Jennifer E. Smith (The Geography of You and Me), Nicholas Sparks (The Choice, Safe Haven) or Kasie West (P.S. I Like You, Lucky in Love).

FINDING WONDERLAND on BOOKTUBE

*video publishes Tuesday afternoon; channel linked above

Talking about books that don't need a sequel (because they're perfect as is). 10 Amazing Books that Stand Alone | #TopTen Tuesday Click To Tweet

What about you? Are you like me or do you have a long list of books you’d like to discover there’s a sequel to? Comment below with all of your thoughts on the subject of standalone books.

If you joined Top Ten Tuesday – or have a blog, please introduce yourself below. I’d be glad to visit your bookish spaces, too.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

ps: please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a royal mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post

• Anne@Headfullofbooks March 11, 2019 at 11:48 pm

Must look around for JANE OF AUSTEN and DEAR MR. KNIGHTLY. Guess you know who is a Austen fan. My TTT list

• Melanie Parker March 12, 2019 at 12:16 am

I don’t think I know any of these ones but the all sound like great picks!

• Rissi March 12, 2019 at 12:25 am

They sure are!! Thanks so much for the visit, Melanie. :)

• I haven’t read any of these books! 🙈🙈 But I couldn’t think of any standalones that I’d like to have sequels for either. Instead, I listed the sequels I really need to get to this year to continue and/or finish some series I started reading. 🙂

La Femme Livresque @ A Reader To Whatever End recently posted: Top 10 Tuesday: Unfinished Series | Sequels I Need To Read Soon
  • Chrissi Reads March 12, 2019 at 12:50 am

A very interesting list, Rissi! I’m not overly familiar with these books, but they must be good to want sequels!

• Greg March 12, 2019 at 12:54 am

I’d like to get the Geography of Lost Things. I like a good road trip story and haven’t read one in ages. Plus I’ve seen that book around and seems like it gets good reviews. :)

• Rissi JC March 18, 2019 at 10:35 pm

I really enjoyed this one though I don’t see much hype about it. It’s imperfect as all books can be, but it kept me interested. Let me know if you like this one, Greg – and thanks so much for the visit! :)

• Brooke Lorren March 12, 2019 at 1:43 am

I haven’t read any of these books yet, but I read Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody last week, and I LOVED it! So maybe I’ll try The Geography of Lost things one of these days.

Brooke Lorren recently posted: Sky Without Stars Gets Five From Me
  • Lydia March 12, 2019 at 8:15 am

Yes, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society definitely needs a sequel!

My Top Ten Tuesday post.

• Catherine March 12, 2019 at 8:16 am

I agree, some standalones just shouldn’t be messed with! More chance of the characters staying happy that way 😊 The guernsey book wraps up really nicely I think.

• Kyra Morris March 12, 2019 at 9:32 am

I’ve heard good things about The Geography of Lost Things – I really want to give it a read! *_*

I’d love sequels to Nicholas Sparks’ books!

My TTT post!

• Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense March 12, 2019 at 9:49 am

Dear Mr. Knightly looks really charming. I feel as an Austen fan, I need to pick up more retellings. Great list!

• Brittaney B March 12, 2019 at 10:23 am

Jane in Austin made my list this week too. Although I want a sequel because I want to see if Celia finds her happy ever after. She got short shrifted next to Jane. Also, who doesn’t want to re-visit Guernsey!

• Rissi JC March 18, 2019 at 10:50 pm

I remember loving Jane of Austin “as is,” but I may feel differently if I re-read it (which I do want to do SOMEDAY!). SAME. Guernsey is such a lovely place. Also, cannot wait to read/catch up on all of your lists, Brittaney. Thanks, as always, for visiting. :)

• Dani March 12, 2019 at 12:16 pm

I love Guernsey just the way it is. A very lovely standalone :)

• Kelly @ Wandering Through Books March 12, 2019 at 12:40 pm

I had a hard time with this week’s theme for a similar reason that you chose to do a twist it… I really don’t have that many standalones that I felt were super incomplete…

• Jess @ Jessticulates March 12, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Great twist on this week’s topic! I haven’t read any of these so I’ll have to check them out.

• Lauren @ Always Me March 12, 2019 at 9:19 pm

I’ve heard a lot of great things about Shaffer’s book – one of these days!

• Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight March 13, 2019 at 8:10 pm

I can’t believe that I haven’t read ANY of these GASP! But I absolutely concur that some standalones, no matter how much we love them, are completely great on their own. A lot of my favorites are, I think! Serpent King, I’ll Meet You There, Four Three Two One, probably a whole bunch more that I can’t remember 😂 Now, there are some that absolutely required sequels that I will be salty forever and ever about, but… I like your topic MUCH better!

Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight recently posted: Sequels I Need More than Air
    • Rissi JC March 18, 2019 at 10:57 pm

*high five* So true. While I’d love to catch up with any of these characters, sometimes part of what makes a story stand out is that it’s a standalone. :)

Thank you for visiting, Shannon. Always glad to chat all the bookish fun with you! :)

• […] 5: 10 Amazing Books that Stand Alone | Top Ten Tuesday […]