Waiting on Wednesday: Edition Twenty-Nine

July 30, 2019 23 Comments

Hey, there, fellow bloggers and friends! It’s again (nearly) mid-week, which means one thing: there’s another Waiting on Wednesday aka Can’t Wait Wednesday meme upon us. Who’s excited? I’m certainly curious to know about your picks!

It’s Wednesday which means there’s another fun meme that bloggers enjoy taking part in. Today’s feature is all about the books we’re “Waiting On” with Can’t Wait Wednesday; a meme Finding Wonderland occasionally takes part in.

Organized by the lovely Tressa of Wishful Endings, here’s another edition of Can’t Wait Wednesday. Can’t-Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted here to spotlight and talk about the books we’re excited about that we have yet to read. Generally they’re books that have yet to be released as well. It’s based on Waiting on Wednesday, hosted by the fabulous Jill at Breaking the Spine. (Find out more here.)

Waiting on Wednesday: Edition Twenty-Nine

Today, despite my favored gene, we take a step back in time and revisit WWII! In this novel, we’re not only promised “glamour,” but also espionage and a fight against the Nazis! All of this not only sounds as if the story will provide a proper historical story, but also plenty of excitement.

Though she’s a debut author with Thomas Nelson, I have had the pleasure of reading a novel by J’Nell, and it’s not one that I’ve forgotten! (Review will be coming.) Needless to say, I was a little giddy when I saw a new novel would be on its way from the author – and with one of my favorite publishing houses, too! Let’s take a look at this 2020 novel.

THE SOCIALITE

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

Author: J’nell Ciesielski  | Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Genre: Fiction; Historical | Publication Date: April 2020

Glamour, treachery, and espionage collide when an English socialite rushes to save her sister from the Nazis.

As the daughter of Sir Alfred Whitford, Kat has a certain set of responsibilities. But chasing her wayward sister, Ellie, to Nazi-occupied Paris was never supposed to be one of them. Now accustomed to the luxurious lifestyle that her Nazi boyfriend provides, Ellie has no intention of going back to the shackled life their parents dictate for them—but Kat will stop at nothing to bring her sister home.

Arrested for simply trying to defend himself against a drunken bully, Barrett Anderson is given the option of going to jail or serving out his sentence by training Resistance fighters in Paris. A bar owner serves as the perfect disguise to entertain Nazis at night while training fighters right below their jackboots during the day. Being assigned to watch over two English debutantes is the last thing he needs, but a payout from their father is too tempting to resist. Can Barrett and Kat trust each other long enough to survive, or will their hearts prove more traitorous than the dangers waiting around the corner? – Goodreads

Amazon | Goodreads

Sounds fierce, glamorous and intriguing, right? What’s the newest historical fiction title to catch your eye?

PS: Before you go

you can enter the July Book Giveaway!

please excuse the “disorder.” you can read more about Finding Wonderland’s changes, new follow options and why archive posts are a mess in my “Disorder + Feedback” post!

Comment down below with your thoughts (do you like HISTORICAL FICTION or have you read anything by J’Nell? what did you feature today? if you would, share all your bookish thoughts below!), Waiting on / Can’t Wait Wednesday blog links or anything else bookish. I’d look forward to chatting all things bookish with you.

I’ll be glad to visit your blogs, too; it might take me a week to circle around. Still, I look forward to visiting.

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland.

PSS: if you’d like to have Finding Wonderland’s new content sent to your inbox; sign up for our once (or twice) monthly round up of new content. (In order to sign up, an automated email will ask you to confirm a subscription via email.) If you’d like to have this newsletter sent to your inbox, you can enter your email address here.

Waiting on Wednesday: Edition Twenty-Nine. Jumping into a historical era with today's 'Waiting' (aka 'Can't Wait Wednesday') bookish post. #HistoricalFiction #CWW #Bloggers Click To Tweet

• sjhigbee July 31, 2019 at 3:36 AM

This one sounds like great fun! I’ve recently read a really enjoyable WWII thriller-romance called Whom Shall I Fear by Anne Clare, which I’m reviewing tomorrow.

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 10:01 PM

A new to me author and title! Thanks for the introduction – and the visit. :)

• Barb (boxermommyreads) July 31, 2019 at 8:03 AM

Hope you enjoy this one!

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Thanks, me too, Barb.

• Marti @ Bookish Treats July 31, 2019 at 9:43 AM

This sounds like fun! I love the cover <3

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 10:03 PM

Same! I’m hopeful this is a good read. :)

• Paula Shreckhise July 31, 2019 at 10:53 AM

I have a J’nell book on my kindle but haven’t read it yet. It sounds fabulous! The last historical I read that was very intriguing was The Number of Love by Roseanna White. It is about WWI and code breaking! Fun stuff!
    I am looking forward to the new book by Joanna Davidson Politano, Finding Lady Enderly.

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 10:04 PM

Hope you enjoy J’nell’s when you read it, Paula. Ooo! I’ve heard LOTS about Roseanna’s new book, but didn’t read it. Sounds like something I’d enjoy though; I love all of the British WWII dramas. :)

• Lisa Mandina (Lisa Loves Literature) July 31, 2019 at 10:57 AM

Beautiful cover! Great pick! You can see my choices this week in the link below.

Lisa Mandina (Lisa Loves Literature) recently posted: Lisa's Looking Foward To #24 - August 6th, 2019
    • Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 10:52 PM

I think so too, Lisa. Appreciate the visit. :)

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads July 31, 2019 at 2:19 PM

One of my goals for 2019 actually was to read more historical fiction, and though I’ve been failing this goal so far, this one definitely caught my eye so thanks for the tip!

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 11:25 PM

I know the feeling, Lindsey; I fail at bookish goals with great frequency, and historical fiction is a BIG one for me. Here’s hoping we both manage to make some progress there. :)

• The Candid Cover July 31, 2019 at 5:33 PM

This sounds like it is going to be wonderful! I hope that you love it. :)

• Ronyell (a.k.a Rabbitearsblog) July 31, 2019 at 6:34 PM

Oooh! This sounds like an interesting book! Great pick!

Ronyell (a.k.a Rabbitearsblog) recently posted: Waiting on Wednesday #144: Vow of Thieves by Mary E. Pearson
    • Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 11:28 PM

Right?! I’m hoping it’s a great one. :)

• Angela July 31, 2019 at 6:51 PM

This does sound glamorous! I love WWII historical fiction.

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 11:33 PM

SAME! For some reason WWII fiction is my favorite. :)

• Yvonne July 31, 2019 at 7:51 PM

I’m a fan of WWII fiction and always on the look out for authors writing in this genre. I’ve not come across J’Nell Ciesielski before, so thanks for the heads-up. I’m off to check out her other novels!

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 11:40 PM

Hope you enjoy, Yvonne! Her first novel is set during WWI, but no matter its era, it’s still a fantastic novel! :)

• Tressa @ Wishful Endings July 31, 2019 at 11:37 PM

This sounds absolutely fabulous, Rissi! I’ll definitely be planning on reading it! :)

• Rissi JC August 1, 2019 at 11:40 PM

I 100% agree, Tressa!! :)

• […] Waiting on Wednesday: Edition Twenty-Nine […]