book hangovers

When I Enjoy Books that Leave Me with a (Good!) Hangover

February 17, 2020 22 Comments

Let’s talk about a bookworm problem, one that is known as book hangovers.

Sometimes this is a good place to be in even if it can also have a not-so-good connotation (because there’s always that lingering will the next read live up to this story?). Reading a book that a reader feels this way about (subjective, again because what makes something “good” means something different to us all) while reading the story is the kind of good that stays with us long after that final page. Sometimes this is because of its impact, other times it’s simply because a book makes me happy and who doesn’t like happy any day of the week?

LIST | Some of the Cute & Creative Novel Art I Like, Part Two!

Of late, I’ve found it harder and harder to put a book in this category. Why I don’t know. I’m wondering if it’s me as a reader. Or is it because I’m not finding books in my treasured genres to champion as I used to? Am I wearying of my favorite genres? (I don’t think so!) Or do I need to find some new types of stories to read? One genre I do want to plug into a bit more is secular contemporary because there are so many that sound cute, and I do love a solid contemporary YA. (What would you recommend???)

But of course, there have been a few novels that have recently made me feel like they are just that good. To keep things simple, I only went back to the last couple of months (which means I didn’t consider reads prior to this), and from these months, I share two  novels to feature as an example of what a book hangover for me looks like. Then, because why not, I share five novels I plan to read soon, and hope will give me a book hangover!

BOOK HANGOVERS: HOW AND WHEN I ENJOY A GOOD HANGOVER!

book hangovers

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details. If you have purchased anything through our links, thank you. We’re grateful.)

1: The Solid Grounds Coffee Company by Carla Laureano

10 of the novels I hope to enjoy this autumn

None of these ‘Supper Club’ books (three in total) have disappointed me. Sure I may have some characters I like more or perhaps there’s one book I like a smidgeon more, but they’re all excellent reads. Amazon | Goodreads

2: The Map from Here to There by Emery Lord

This novel doesn’t have the same ‘hangover’ effect as my prior feature, but I mean, I love these characters so very much, serious flaws and all. I gave this one five stars for nostalgia purposes, but I’d be lying if I said I missed some of the “connection” of book one The Start of Me and You, both with the reader and between the characters, but it’s a really solid read nonetheless that still “got to me.” Amazon | Goodreads

Five of the Books I Hope to Have a Book Hangover From, Post-Reading

These are either on my shelf already or preorders!

1: The Betrothed by Kiera Cass

Been waiting for this one for forever, and now its finally (almost) here, I’m ecstatic. Amazon | Goodreads

2: Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han

Still have to read this beauty, and I cannot wait. Amazon | Goodreads

3: What I Like You by Marisa Kanter

This one just sounds fun and cute and perfect – exactly my happy place when it comes to reading! Amazon | Goodreads

4: Now, Then and Always by Melissa Tagg

Melissa’s novels are always so lovely and good. But I’ll confess I’m a tiny bit nervous about this one just because it sounds a little more serious minded than her prior novels. Still, I know it’ll be a worthwhile and enjoyable read. Amazon | Goodreads

5: Moment of Truth by Kasie West

I mean, it’s Kasie West. I always love a novel by her because they make me smile, and that is one of my qualifiers for a good bookworm hangover! Amazon | Goodreads

When I Enjoy Books that Leave Me with a (Good!) Hangover. Talking the thing bookworms are always glad to experience: book hangovers! #BookHangover #Discussion #Bookworm #BloggersTribe #TopTenTuesday Click To Tweet

The comments are yours! Do you often discover “book hangovers” reading? What genre are they usually from? What contemporary novels do YOU recommend; I’d love to know about your favorites and why you like them. Are you finding it harder to discover books you love? Comment all of your thoughts below…!

Linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl and Top Ten Tuesday!

When I Enjoy Books that Leave Me with a (Good!) Hangover. Talking the thing bookworms are always glad to experience: book hangovers! Text © Rissi JC

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

• Greg February 17, 2020 at 11:12 pm

I don’t read a LOT of contemporaries but I sure do like a good one now and again. Books like Fangirl or Top Ten by Katie Cotugno really work for me sometimes. Kasie West’s stuff always look so bright and summery. :)

• Rissi @ Finding Wonderland February 17, 2020 at 11:48 pm

I SO need to read a novel by Katie; I see her books on Amazon all the time, but despite being a fan of the genre, I’ve never read one by her. ‘Tis a mystery. Thanks so much for the visit, Greg!

• Dedra @ A Book Wanderer February 17, 2020 at 11:52 pm

I just finished Always and Forever, Lara Jean yesterday and it totally could have made it on my Top Ten Book Hangovers but I’d already finished making my post and didn’t want to change it. ;) I did post a review today for the whole series. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! <3

• Rissi JC February 28, 2020 at 7:52 pm

YAY! Glad to know this final LJ book is a worthy read. Cannot wait to discover all its charms – hopefully soon! Thanks for the visit, Dedra. :)

• Ra @ The Red Glow of the Dawn February 18, 2020 at 12:22 am

I have a plant to read To All The Boys Series. I should expect a book hangover then when I finished the third book.

My Top Ten Tuesday

• Rissi JC February 28, 2020 at 7:52 pm

They’re really good I think!! Hope if you read them that you enjoy. Thanks for visiting. :)

• Jess @ Jessticulates February 18, 2020 at 2:41 am

Great list! I don’t usually like book covers with people on them, but I quite like the cover of The Betrothed – I think I just want her dress…

Jess @ Jessticulates recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday | Sisters are doing it for themselves
    • Rissi JC February 28, 2020 at 7:48 pm

RIGHT? I’ve always said this about Cass’ covers. I’d like to raid the closets of these characters… I mean I’d have no where to wear these creations, but still… PRETTY! :) Thanks for the visit, Jess.

• Lydia February 18, 2020 at 5:54 am

That cover for The Betrothed couldn’t be prettier.

My TTT .

• Rissi JC February 28, 2020 at 7:44 pm

I agree. It’s gorgeous. Appreciate your visit, Lydia. :)

• Dini @ dinipandareads February 18, 2020 at 8:03 am

Answering this prompt made me realise that I don’t get book hangovers very often either! A book has to really impact me for that to happen. I’ve seen The Map from Here to There quite a bit around the blogosphere and it sounds like potential book hangover material to me! I hope the ones you’re planning to read do give you a hangover (in the best way) ;) Great list!

• Rissi JC February 28, 2020 at 7:44 pm

I feel as though I used to, but for some reason books just haven’t had this kind of affect on my lately. Not sure the “why” of this. Thanks, Dini; me too! Hoping to have some good book hangovers with some of these. Appreciate your visit, as always. :)

• Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse February 18, 2020 at 11:26 am

You have me even more excited for Moment of Truth now! I love a good Kasie West book.

• Rissi JC February 28, 2020 at 7:41 pm

YAY!!! Hope we both enjoy this one, Deanna; and same. I love all the Kasie West novels. Appreciate your visit. :)

• Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense February 18, 2020 at 11:32 pm

The final To All the Boys book was so bittersweet to me. Lara Jean will forever be one of my favorite fictional characters.

• Rissi JC February 28, 2020 at 7:39 pm

Same; there’s just something about Lara Jean that makes her a character we relate to. Thanks for the visit, Alicia. :)

• Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books February 19, 2020 at 12:14 am

I am so glad I read your post just because I now know that THE MAP FROM HERE TO THERE is a sequel!! I almost picked it up to start it like 2 days ago!! And I probably would’ve been confused or not liked it as much as I could have if I read the first book. AND I still need to read the 3rd Lara Jean book too!! I’m on hold for the audio book, so that will be happening soon.

• Rissi JC February 28, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Aw, yay! Glad this helped, Michelle. Hope you enjoy Emery’s first novel in this duo (and if you read ‘Map,’ this one too). Glad I’m not the only reader who has yet to read this LJ novel. :) Thanks for the visit.

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads February 19, 2020 at 1:36 pm

I think Kasie West is definitely a good possibility for a book hangover :) And hope you’ll love Always and Forever Lara Jean as well!

• Rissi JC February 28, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Right? Her books are just SO cute and fun I *had* to add them here. :) Thanks; me too! I’m hopeful I’ll like the end of LJ’s story. Thanks for the visit, Lindsey.

• […] BOOK DISCUSSION | When I Enjoy Books that Leave Me with a (Good!) Hangover […]

• […] DISCUSSION | When I Enjoy Books that Leave Me with a (Good!) Hangover […]