It’s Nice to Meet You! 15 Characters That Will Make an Impression

July 8, 2019 rissiwri 25 Comments

It’s Nice to Meet You! 15 Characters That Will Make an Impression

July 8, 2019 Rissi JC 25 Comments

In fiction, whether it be novels or cinematic, there’s nothing I love better than a character who makes and leaves a lasting impression. Some of my favorite stories are those that allow for solid characterization. This can be in novel format or on screen. This is why I thought it might be fun to put together a kind of list of favorite ‘15 Characters That Will Make Impression.’

Among this list of characters, I’d like to introduce you to some more recent (and by “recent,” I mean within the last year or so, because turtle reader) favorite characters. This will also encompasses TV and possibly film characters because again, I don’t read the number of books to create a list with enough length. Plus, thanks to a weekly meme we participate in nearly every week, I do feel like I talk about favorites often; but I will try and talk about mostly new characters. Still, some repeat favorites are bound to show up. Because that’s the plight of a bookworm.

Here we go!

It’s Nice to Meet You! 15 Characters That Will Make an Impression

(This post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1: Amy Winslow from Mystery 101 (TV Movie)

You’ll meet grown up sluethers in this new(er) Hallmark signature mystery series, and I love it; plus it helps when I like the actors in the lead roles!

Mystery 101

2: Amy Wilde from The Runaway Princess (Book)

Read this novel (by British authoress Hester Browne) years ago, but only recently posted the review here. I remember loving it so much, and I’ve no doubt that in addition to its clumsy (but adorable) heroine, I also quite like its hero, Prince Leo. Amazon | Goodreads

3: Frankie Drake from the Frankie Drake Mysteries (CBC TV Show)

Sassy and unafraid of anything, this fierce 1920s private detective is a super fun person to hang out with. Digitally on Amazon

4: Gwyn Ruthers from Among the Poppies (Book)

Spunky and memorable, Gwyn is the kind of character you long to discover inside the pages of a novel. She’s loyal, but also stubborn, sometimes to a fault, which turns out to be quite a good thing as she lives during the tumultuous times of WWI. Amazon | Goodreads

5: Hamlet from The Way You Make Me Feel (Book)

Already talked about this dude, but he leaves an impression, and is one of my more recent favorite YA leading guys. Just wish he had a larger role in a story that implies its more romance than family drama story. Amazon | Goodreads

6: Harper and Charlie from Set it Up (Netflix Movie)

These two though!! Love them so much, and am curious to see what a secondary (unrelated) team-up between the actors will look like.

7: Daniel Harrow from Harrow (TV Show)

Ok, so unlike most of the characters on this list, I don’t think I’d claim this character as a favorite, but he does leave an impression. He’s complicated, brilliant and as the story furthers, we learn he’s hiding one whopper of a secret. This is a new-to-me discovery, an Australian (always so well produced) TV show with the talents of Ioan Gruffudd (aka Hortatio Hornblower) in the titular role. Buy by digital episode on Amazon Video

8: Flora Poste from Cold Comfort Farm (Film)

I’d seem this film years ago, but each time I re-watch it, I’m reminded of its quirky nature. It never ceases to make me laugh, and its heroine is a big reason as to why. Before she plays Jane Austen’s Emma, Kate Beckinsale played Flora, which is kind of like an Emma-in-training role. DVD on Amazon | BOOK: Amazon | Goodreads

9: Jesse from In-Lawfully Yours (Film)

I don’t think I’ve really talked about this film here… right? (Probably because I review this one on Silver Petticoat.) I don’t know. Either way, it deserves all the mentions. The budget may not be impressive, but the concept and characters will keep you giggling and smiling the WHOLE TIME; and Jesse is 100% a big reason why. Digitally on Amazon

10: Josephine Newton from Newton’s Law (TV Show)

One of my most recent TV show binges, which an incredible cast of characters (pretty sure I like them all), and a leading titular character who’s quite memorable. Digitally on Amazon

11: Nick Young from Crazy Rich Asians (Film)

Who doesn’t like Nick? He may be described an “Asian Prince Harry,” but he’s not a stereotypical character. Digitally on Amazon | BOOK: Amazon | Goodreads

15 Characters That Will Make an Impression

12: Rachel Chu from Crazy Rich Asians (Film)

Love Rachel, and of course, Nice. They’re so cute together, and in retrospect, I really should add them to a favorite ‘love story’ list (quite like Harper and Charlie). However I like these two equally as individuals and a couple. I’m also quite fond of Astrid and hope the (film) sequel focuses on her story. Digitally on Amazon | BOOK: Amazon | Goodreads

13: Detective Travis Burke from Mystery 101 (TV Movie)

Like his counterpart, Amy, I really like Travis from one of the more recent Hallmark mystery series. One I hope earns many an installment.

14: Captain William Crawford from Among the Poppies (Book)

A stalwart hero who I instantly fell in love with; he’s protective of the girl who steals his heart, but he also loves (and accepts) her as she is. Amazon | Goodreads

15: Zander Ford from Sweet on You (Book)

There’s just something about an unrequited best-friends-to-romance story that tugs on those heartstrings. When someone like Zander is the one doing the waiting, it’s all the sweeter. Amazon | Goodreads

Sharing a list of new (and old) favorite #book, cinematic and #TVShow characters. Who would make your list? It’s Nice to Meet You! 15 Characters That Will Make an Impression Click To Tweet

Tell me, are any of these characters people you’d like to meet, or have you? Do you have a list of ‘Characters that leave an impression’? Comment down below with all of your thoughts and favorite characters. I’d love to chat all things bookish, cinematic or TV characters with you!

Thank you for visiting Finding Wonderland

• Greg July 8, 2019 at 11:15 pm

Mystery 101 sounds fun! For some reason there’s something comforting, or relaxing, about a good TV mystery haha. Not that I’ve ever watched any Hallmark mysteries, but lotsa people seem to like them. :) If I had the Hallmark channel I’d probably watch some! I think Netflix has a good mystery every now and then.

• Rissi JC July 11, 2019 at 7:51 pm

I agree! “Mystery 101” is just a fun little series that I hope gets more films. Oo, do you have a favorite Netflix mystery? I watched the one with Adam and Jennifer Aniston, and thought it was entertaining. :) Thanks for visiting, Greg!

• Greg July 12, 2019 at 2:05 pm

I was thinking about that one, I’ve seen it around a bit! I don’t know if I have a favorite mystery on Netflix, but I did start the Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries and I’ve liked those so far. Also I just started High Seas (mystery on a cruise ship) and I’m hoping it will be good!

• Rissi JC July 15, 2019 at 10:57 pm

OHMY!! Miss Fisher and Co. are so much fun. Love them all. :) I’ve seen High Seas and think it looks GORGEOUS, but I just cannot concentrate with foreign-spoken dramas – and isn’t it Spanish…?

• Greg July 16, 2019 at 2:10 pm

It is Spanish (or Brazilian maybe?). And I know what you mean- I always wonder should I go with the dubbed translation or the original language with subtitles? I usually go with subtitles because the dubbing is often… not good haha! But I totally know what you mean, it’s hard because you have to watch and read at the same time!

• Rissi JC July 16, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Could be! I’m not sure… I just saw it was a foreign language, and skipped over it. Which makes me sad because it looks like my cup of tea. I watched one dubbed (I think it was a version of “War and Peace”) that I didn’t think was bad, but I’d agree. Most of the time, they’re pretty bad – and sometimes that distracts more! :)

• Chrissi Reads July 8, 2019 at 11:44 pm

I like what you’ve done with the list this week, Rissi! I think I need to meet these characters.

• Rissi JC July 11, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Thank you, Chrissi. It was fun to put together that’s for certain. Appreciate your visit. :)

• Kay @hammockofbooks July 9, 2019 at 12:47 am

Crazy Rich Asians is the greatest thing ever aoislkjdf I love Nick Young and Rachel Chu

• Rissi JC July 11, 2019 at 9:50 pm

I *so* enjoyed the film, Kay. Alas, I couldn’t get into the book, but someday I’d like to give it a second chance! Thanks so much for the visit. :)

• Anne@HeadFullofBooks July 9, 2019 at 12:55 am

I don’t watch much TV so I am not familiar with these characters but I like the way you stretched the topic this week. My TTT list

• Brooke Lorren July 9, 2019 at 2:12 am

I haven’t read any of these books or watched any of these TV shows, but I would like to read Crazy Rich Asians and Sweet on You at some point.

Brooke Lorren recently posted: Characters that Travel (Top Ten Tuesday)
  • Jess @ Jessticulates July 9, 2019 at 4:38 am

Great list! I really want to watch the adaptation of Crazy Rich Asians – it looks so fun. :)

Jess @ Jessticulates recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday | My recent OTPs
  • Leelynn @ Sometimes Leelynn Reads July 9, 2019 at 9:34 am

Nick and Rachel are my favorite <3 I'm so glad you joined in on T10T :)

Leelynn @ Sometimes Leelynn Reads recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday: Character Freebie
  • Kyra Morris July 9, 2019 at 9:45 am

I really like Nick and Rachel!

My TTT post!

• Lauren @ Always Me July 10, 2019 at 1:00 pm

I need to start watching Frankie Drake. Nick and Rachel are great. :)

Check out my TTT

• Rissi JC July 15, 2019 at 3:23 pm

‘Frankie Drake’ is SO fun, Lauren. Let me know what you think if you do; and yes! I agree. Nick and Rachel are favorites. Appreciate you visiting! :)

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads July 10, 2019 at 1:34 pm

I really loved Rachel and Nick in Crazy Rich Asians, and I definitely hope to see more of Astrid in the sequel!

• […] It’s Nice to Meet You! 15 Characters That Will Make an Impression […]