23 of the Best Most Wholesome Romantic-Comedies

February 10, 2017 26 Comments

A romantic comedies is cinematic bliss around my house. Why is this? I cannot say for certain other than the reaction they leave me with long after I’ve ejected the disc: a smile. Over the years, I’ve watched many romcoms with my mother because apparently when we have a girls night in, that’s one of our favorite things to do. What makes it even better? When these romcoms are of the wholesome romantic comedies variety.

Today, I decided to do something a little bit different and share a list of 23 of the romantic-comedies I’ve seen that would fit the mold of being “clean.” Keep in mind, this is a subjective list since everyone’s definition of a “clean” or “wholesome” film is different. For me, as I picked the films I wanted to include, what I looked at to define my choices was the romance itself or the way the couple came to earn their HEA. How does the hero treat his ladyWhat is their relationship based on? Of course, even with these caveats the one thing that does usually crop up is profanity which nearly all of these share (no matter their rating) in varying degrees. And even with these blue prints, some I included are pure and simple, “fluff.”

DISCUSSION | It’s Nice to Meet You! 15 Characters That Will Make an Impression

Some of these, I’ll confess, I might be biased about because I love them so much. That said, I am trying to be thorough and include comedies that might not be my most favorites though still fit the category we’re talking about today.

Also, one last disclaimer. This is not an all-inclusive list. Because of this, I have chosen to eliminate from consideration the following subgenres: TV films (Hallmark), period films and classics. Long story short, this mostly features what we’d coin “box office” or feature films. If this post does well enough or if anyone is interested (or depending on how much fun this blogger has putting this together *smile*), there may be future lists.

Until then, let’s get started on the topic planned for today; our list of “wholesome romantic comedies”!

23 of the Best Most Wholesome Romantic Comedies!

listings from A to Z

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

1. Austenland

Who wouldn’t like this romance? It’s sassy, cute and that ohmygosh, that ending? *swoon* (PG13)

You can rent or own Austenland digitally on Amazon Video or on DVD.

2. The Bachelor

Silly in many ways, the charm of Chris O’Donnell and Renee Zellweger gives this oldie romance (check out the fashion!) plenty of appeal. (PG13)

You can own The Bachelor digitally on Amazon Video.

3. Beastly

Wholesome Romantic Comedies

Based on Alex Flinn’s novel (of the same name), this one stars teen heartthrob (at the time) Alex Pettyfer and High School Musical star, Vanessa Hudgens. Though imperfect, it’s a wonderful little movie. (PG13)

You can rent or own Beastly digitally on Amazon Video or on DVD.

4. The Beautician and the Beast

Silly in many ways (but oh so sweet), this re-imagined fairy tale is a mash-up of Beauty and the Beast and The Sound of Music. So, yeah… (PG)

You can rent or own The Beautician and the Beast digitally on Amazon Video or on DVD.

5. Bride and Prejudice

Fun in so many ways, this darling film is all about the bright culture of Bollywood (song and dance) while mirroring itself after Austen’s Pride and Prejudice – and it works! (PG13)

You can rent or own Bride and Prejudice digitally on Amazon Video or on DVD.

6. A Cinderella Story

A Hilary Duff classic, this one contemporary Cinderella. It’s about a high schooler wanting to graduate high school early to escape her (not-so) wicked (more like annoying) stepmother; the faceless boy she IMs; and her dream of getting into Princeton (where all the princes go!). (PG)

You can rent or own A Cinderella Story digitally on Amazon Video or on DVD.

7. It Could Happen to You

Wholesome Romantic Comedies

Though this is one of those 90s movies I saw on TV or rented, I hadn’t seen this one in years (and yes, I’m suddenly realizing that by putting this list together I’m feeling old). And then I picked it up in one of those “5 dollar bins.” Needless to say, it’s as cute as I remember it being. (PG)

You can rent or own It Could Happen to You digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

8. I.Q.

Before You’ve Got Mail,and that handful of daisies, Meg Ryan starred in this cute romcom. In this one Einstein is cast as a matchmaker. (PG)

You can rent or own I.Q. digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

9. Ice Castles

I’ve not seen the older adaptation of this film, but the 2010 version is sweet as it can be; it tells the story of a promising figure skater who injures herself and as a result, loses her sight. (PG)

You can rent or own Ice Castles digitally on Amazon Video.

10. Kate and Leopold

Despite my love of all things period drama, I had never seen this time-travel romance until last summer. With one of my favorite (*heart eyes*) leading men, Hugh Jackman, I think my love for this one may have been swayed ever the slightest. (PG13)

You can purchase Kate and Leopold on DVD.

11. The Lake House

Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves team for this time-bending romance that’s all about a “slow” story and romance. (PG)

You can own The Lake House digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

12. Leap Year

Yes, I realize this is a romcom about leap day or year, but whatever. This one is TOO CUTE not to include. (PG)

You can rent or own Leap Year digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

13. Letters to Juliet

Amanda Seyfriend stars in this one about a girl who visits Italy with her fiance and discovers a love story (through letters) that never saw closure. It also happens to be the only thing I’ve seen its cute leading man, Christopher Eagan, in. (PG)

You can rent or own Letters to Juliet digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

14. Never Been Kissed

Drew Barrymore and Michael Vartan (Alias) co-star in this “classic” oldie romance about a klutzy reporter who goes undercover in a high school. (PG13)

You can rent or own Never Been Kissed digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

15. No Reservations

A perfectionist chef (Catherine Zeta-Jones) has her world turned upside down when she becomes her niece’s guardian. (PG)

You can rent or own No Reservations digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

16. Penelope

A wonderfully imaginative film, this has Beauty and the Beast vibes that oddly enough blends in some Bachelor!? Yeah, it’s a thing. And it works. (PG)

You can rent or own Penelope digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

17. The Prince and Me

I can still remember seeing the poster for this film in a theater, and in my romantic teenager mind, I thought, “MUST. SEE.” Of course, I did and a contemporary fairy tale lover have I been ever since then. (PG)

You can rent or own The Price and Me digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

18. The Proposal

Wholesome Romantic Comedies

My mom and I saw this one in theaters and laughed ourselves silly. Seven+ years later, our reaction is the same. (PG13)

You can rent or own The Proposal digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

19. Sabrina

There are two adaptations of this romcom about a girl who returns to her father’s home (where he works as a groundskeeper for a wealthy family). She left a nerdy young girl, and returns a sophisticated woman who finds herself the objects of the family’s two sons’ affections. The oldie stars Audrey Hepburn in the titular role, the newer Julia Ormond. (PG)

You can rent or own Sabrina digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

20. Serendipity

This is another (like Kate & Leopold) that took me years to see. It might not be my favorite overall, but it’s magical and sweet. That’s good enough for this girl. (PG13)

You can rent Serendipity digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

21. You’ve Got Mail

One of the most popular romance films, this movie is all about falling in love over emails. Also, it has the whole bit about “daisies.” Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks re-teamed for this one. (PG)

You can rent or own You’ve Got Mail digitally on Amazon Video or find on Blu-ray.

22. When In Rome

Kristen Bell is (contemporary) fairy tale magic in this sweet romantic-comedy. When first I watched it, I left feeling “so-so” about the story. But the more times I rewatch it, the more I adore it. Plus, there’s Josh Duhamel! (PG13)

You can rent or own When in Rome digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

23. While You Were Sleeping

This one has its share of “crude” humor in one section in particular, but overall, it’s charming. RomCom favorite Sandra Bullock stars. (PG)

You can rent or own While You Were Sleeping digitally on Amazon Video or find on DVD.

What are some of your favorite sweetheart romcoms aka wholesome romantic comedies!? Comment down below with YOUR thoughts.

Sharing 23 of the Best Most Wholesome Romantic Comedies! Talking fun romcoms in this list of 23 sweet #movies including Sandra Bullock fan favorites. #SandraBullock #Romance #CleanRomance #RomComs #FavoriteMovies #HappyMovies Click To Tweet

find us on social media: MeWe; Instagram; or Pinterest – and join Finding Wonderland’s NEW reader group on MeWe!

• Molly's Book Nook February 13, 2017 at 11:48 pm

This is a fantastic list! It reminds me of all the chick flicks I used to watch. I haven't watched them in a while. I need to have a marathon soon so maybe I'll use this list for recs when I do! Thanks!

Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

• Rissi February 14, 2017 at 5:47 am

I know the feeling, Molly. I enjoy watching so many of these time and again. Glad the list is helpful; hope you enjoy that marathon. Some times that's the best way to end a day! :)

• Alison Doherty February 15, 2017 at 2:56 am

I think I've seen almost all of these! Great list!

• Rissi February 16, 2017 at 5:49 am

They're all SO much fun. :) Thanks so much for visiting, Alison.

• Hamlette February 24, 2017 at 12:16 am

I've seen 10 of these — I would add "Sleepless in Seattle" and "Mrs. Winterbourne" and "Overboard" for starters — none of those have love scenes.

• Rissi February 28, 2017 at 5:38 am

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Rachel. Aside from 'Seattle,' I've not seen the other two you mention. Overboard always looked really cute though. :)

• Hamlette February 28, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Mrs. Winterbourne is a tiny movie from the '90s that nobody much has heard of, even though it's got Brendan Fraser at his most attractive, plus Shirley MacLaine. And Ricki Lake, who is surprisingly sweet and non-grating, which I would not have expected from the nature of the talk show she hosted back in the day.

• Rissi March 4, 2017 at 12:15 am

I love the sound of Mrs. Winterbourne, Rachel. I think sometimes if I'm not 100% fond of a cast, I do steer clear of something so it's good to know the cast really shines in this one! I'll have to check for it on Amazon. Thanks so much for the recommendation. :)

• Tressa @ Wishful Endings November 5, 2018 at 1:57 pm

You have some of my favs on here, like IQ, You’ve Got Mail, Kate & Leopold (I really wish the language was cleaner so I could show my kids!), While You Were Sleeping, Sabrina, Lake House… obviously I agree with many of your choices. ;) Fun post!

• Rissi JC November 10, 2018 at 11:00 pm

Hi, Tressa!! Always so glad to chat with you.

I only just re-watched IQ and thought it was really cute. It’d been a long time. You’ve made me want to watch K&L (only seen it once) and The Lake House again, too!! So many favorites. :)

• Sherry November 20, 2018 at 11:04 pm

You need to go back in time:
    Bringing Up Baby (1938) With Katherine Hepburn
    Charade –Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant
    It Happened One Night (1934) Clark Gable.
    Much Ado About Nothing with Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson
    The Philadelphia Story–Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, and Cary Grant
    Roman Holiday (1953)
    What’s Up, Doc –Barbara Streisand and Ryan O’Neal

• Rissi JC November 21, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Sherry.

I actually have seen ‘Philadelphia Story’ (HILARIOUS!) and “Roman Holiday” (not a favorite). Someday I need to watch more of these though. And who knows! Perhaps that will then inspire a “Classic Romantic Comedy” list.

• Cindy January 2, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Thanks for the list. My husband and I enjoy watching romantic movies together, but stuggle to find clean ones worth watching now days. We have started warching the movies on your list and have made it a goal to see them all. Thanks again.

• Rissi JC July 19, 2019 at 11:42 am

(My apologies for the reply delay, Cindy; not sure how I overlooked this comment.)

I do hope you found a few you enjoy! I’m all about fun, wholesome rom-coms. :) Let me know if you’ve discovered any new-to-you titles too! I do need to post an updated list one of these days.

• […] 2: 23 of the Best Most Wholesome Romantic-Comedies  […]

• Lindsey September 24, 2019 at 8:03 pm

This is a great list!! I was searching the internet for some recommendations as I have been trying to find some sweet, clean non-Hallmark romcoms! Only You with Marisa Tomei & Robert Downey Jr is a favorite :) Not sure if you watch any Bollywood movies? So many great romcoms! Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is an absolute must see for any rom com fan! They live in London and meet on a trip around Europe but her father has promised her hand to his friend’s son back in India! Also really enjoyed Dawaat E Ishq. It’s about a young woman who is sick of young men and their families trying to get a large dowry out of her single dad (dowry is illegal in India but it is still widely practiced), so she decides to take her revenge on one of them. Interesting cultural differences make for great sources of conflict and tension that we don’t see in Western movies!

• Rissi JC September 24, 2019 at 9:55 pm

Hi, Lindsey! Thank you so much for visiting, and for reading. I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Only You,’ but I love RDJ in the Avengers movies! Definitely one to add to my list – and hopefully put on a follow up list to this one. :)

I’ve seen a few Bollywood movies, yes. What I’ve seen are ADORABLE! The one you mention is unfamiliar to me though. Appreciate you sharing a few of your favorites – and let me know if you see any of these. :)

• […] 1: 23 of the Best Most Wholesome Romantic-Comedies  […]

• Melissa A. April 6, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Thank you so much for this list!!! It is so hard to find a “wholesome” romantic comedy. I’ve learned to enjoy my husband’s choice of action packed films because at least their mostly “clean”, but sometimes I just want to watch a silly romantic comedy with him.

• Rissi JC April 6, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Melissa, I hope you find something here to enjoy! Most of these do still contain some “content,” but I do define how I came up with this list at the top. Let me know if you haven’t seen some of these, what you think. And I’m all a about a good romcom!! :)

• […] List | 23 Wholesome Romantic-Comedies | Finding Wonderland September 21, 2018 at 7:00 pm Reply […]

• Josie Ryan August 13, 2020 at 9:47 pm

‘Everything You Want‘ 2005
    Shiri Appleby, Nick Zano

• Rissi JC August 18, 2020 at 12:26 pm

Oo! Yes. That one is cute. Thank you for sharing, Josie; I’ll add it to my in progress part two list. :)

• […] LIST | 23 of the Best Most Wholesome Romantic-Comedies […]

• […] in the day (seriously, I think it’s been three years now?), I curated a list of wholesome romance movies that to this day, is always one of Finding Wonderland’s most popular views. For months (or is it […]

• […] LIST | 23 of the Best Most Wholesome Romantic-Comedies […]