A FEW FAVORITE AND FUN DAD BOOK CHARACTERS TO HONOR. CHATTING A FEW FAVORITE BOOK DADS - JUST BECAUSE! ALL TEXT IS © RISSIWRITES.COM

A FEW FAVORITE AND FUN DAD BOOK CHARACTERS

June 13, 2022 16 Comments

Based on having to go in and reformat everything post Blogger to WordPress transfer, it seems as though I once put together a list of memorable or favorite book dads. However as that would have been years ago, hopefully no one here has that good a memory and won’t remember which are repeats even as I work to find new characters, too! Because we all love a novel that features not just good leads but also characters are the best of friends or a strong parent.

LIST | 10+ GOOD MOVIES DAD MAY LIKE TO WATCH & WHERE TO STREAM THEM!

When singling out characters, I try to have read the book first, but since I’m not reading right now, I’ll probably break some rules on this list just to add a few more characters and make things interesting. Let’s just jump right on in and meet the characters my digging through books finds. Here we go.

MEMORABLE / FAVORITE BOOK DADS

(Disclosure: this post does contain affiliate links; if you buy anything through these links, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. Thank you to anyone who makes a purchase through these links. Read the disclosure page for details.)

ALEX from SAFE HAVEN

I have zero idea what I’d think of this novel if I were to read it today (over eight years after I first did), but at the time I remember LOVING this character. That memory is what earns him a place here. Amazon | Goodreads

MR. BENNET from PRIDE & PREJUDICE

Ok, confession time. I haven’t “met” Mr. Bennet in novel form. But he’s such a laid-back and chill character in each adaptation of Pride and Prejudice that I cannot imagine him being anything but one cool dude in Austen’s words. Amazon | Goodreads

GARNER BRADFORD from THEN CAME YOU

This is one character who really grows into his role as dad. We meet him as a young father in the novella in Then Came You and see him now and then in each of his daughter’s novels, but really, he sadly didn’t play the role I assumed he might. Amazon | Goodreads

MR. COVEY from TO ALL THE BOYS I’VE LOVED BEFORE

Always (almost always) love this character. He’s just a gem. Amazon | Goodreads

A FEW FAVORITE AND FUN DAD BOOK CHARACTERS #BOOKDADS #BOOKFATHERS #GOODBOOKS #READGOODBOOKS #FICTION >>> FEATURES @BECKYWADEWRITER @JENNYHAN @NICOLEDEESE & MORE Click To Tweet
DANIEL from WITHOUT WARNING

I cannot remember specifics of this novel, but looking at my review, I seemed to quite like it. This is a man stepping to raise a child in this scenario (that isn’t his child) and so that angle makes it more interesting as does the character of Riley. Amazon | Goodreads

CARTER DAVIS from A NEW SHADE OF SUMMER

Another book I don’t recall specifics of (I mean, seriously, it’s been too long since I read these!), but in general I adored the book and I have to believe part of that is either because Carter is GOOD as a dad or he heals the relationship he has with his child and that is never worth nothing. Amazon | Goodreads

TY PORTER from MEANT TO BE MINE

This is one character who would have absolutely been on my last list! He was always a favorite of mine although many in the Christian fiction reader group didn’t care for him because of his past. I love Christian fiction that features a genuine character who has a bit of mess. Sometimes this doesn’t come across as authentic or real, but author Becky Wade has a way of making Ty a good man even with his past reputation and I respect this. Amazon | Goodreads

MR. SHIN from THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL

Likened to a kind of Gilmore Girls only with a father and daughter duo, this Maurene Goo novel is super cute and just overall, fun. Plus I love a parent who recognizes they’re a parent and sometimes their kids need to learn a lesson. Amazon | Goodreads

Off to you, readers! Have you met any of these dudes? Did you like any of them? Which ones would make your list? Who has been the WORST dad you’ve met in a book? Comment all the comments – let’s chat!

As always, thank you times a million for making time to read and leave a comment. I appreciate this. I’m working on making every good effort to reply to your comments sooner and subsequently to visit your spaces too. Thank you for the time you spend here – and come back soon.

PINTEREST PIN – SAVE & SHARE

Thank you for visiting; please do come back soon.

Linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl June 14: Books I Wish Had an Epilogue* (*Obviously went with Book Dads since I cannot remember which novels I really wanted that “extra” story for – though likely there have been plenty through the years!)

amateur graphic designer. confirmed bookaholic. bubbl’r enthusiast. critical thinker. miswesterner. social media coordinator. writer.

• Michael @ The Book Lovers' Sanctuary June 14, 2022 at 12:47 AM

I found this week’s topic tricky! And with Father’s Day coming Book Dad’s was a great substitution- they are so often absent, comedically incompetent or evil…!
    This is my list of books that could have an epilogue.

• Rissi JC June 15, 2022 at 12:08 PM

They are for sure absent and it always makes me sad. We love a good dad character in fiction. Thanks for visiting, Michael.

• Rae | HerSerialLife.com June 14, 2022 at 1:57 AM

Interesting list. You’re post took me by surprise, but I like it because it made me think of my Dad. My father passed away in 2O16 and he was a great Dad.

My TTT: https://herseriallife.com/top-10-books-i-wish-had-epilogue/

Have a great week 🌈

Rae | HerSerialLife.com recently posted: Top 10 Books I Wish Had An Epilogue | #TTT
    • Rissi JC June 15, 2022 at 12:09 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, Rae. <3

• Lexlingua June 14, 2022 at 5:06 AM

Mr. Bennet! But of course, and I loved his relationship with Lizzy.

Lexlingua recently posted: 10 Recent Book to Screen Adaptations
    • Rissi JC June 15, 2022 at 12:09 PM

RIGHT!? They’re relationship is always good. :)

• Lydia June 14, 2022 at 5:10 AM

Aww, this is such a lovely list!

• Pam @ Read! Bake! Create! June 14, 2022 at 5:23 AM

Other than Mr. Bennett, I don’t think I’ve met any of the other dads you’ve mentioned here. Two that always come to my mind are Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird and Arthur Weasley from the Harry Potter Series.

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create! recently posted: Books Mentioned in a Recent Read
    • Rissi JC June 15, 2022 at 12:15 PM

Do you know, I think I ran across Atticus’ name when I was doing some research, hoping to find some I have met. I haven’t read that book though so I didn’t include him, but I love a good dad character. :)

• Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads June 14, 2022 at 1:10 PM

Mr. Covey was such an amazing dad indeed!

• Rissi JC June 15, 2022 at 12:15 PM

YES! Love his character. :)

• Jo June 14, 2022 at 1:56 PM

I remember doing a Dads topic a few years back and I had to split it into 5 Good Dads and 5 Bad Dads because I read mainly YA and Fantasy so good parental figures are few and far between!

Jo recently posted: Top Ten Tuesday #372
    • Rissi JC June 15, 2022 at 12:16 PM

Great idea, Jo! And I agree. They are few and far in YA lit. I miss them having a strong and good impact on their kids. :)

• Cindy Davis June 14, 2022 at 3:07 PM

Great topic for today. I also went a different route.

• Rissi JC June 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM

Sometimes we just have to. ;)